• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mozart really is the best.

hypersonic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
Manton will hate me for saying it but I like a lot of Liszt's compositions.
Yeah me too.

Another piece that the audience were outraged by was Prokofiev's 2nd Piano Concerto -- its premiere was at an open air concert in August 1913. The audience got more than they bargained for from the young genius -- not quite the gentle summer evening music they might have expected -- I love the extreme dissonance at the end of the 3rd movement. Prokofiev's brilliant use of dissonance is still virtually unrivaled.

Prokofiev piano concerto no 2 op 16 Mov 3 -Intermezzo-Allegro Vladimir Ashkenazy Piano
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sherman90
Mozart's music is certainly more "natural" than Beethoven's, but to seek to elevate the former on that basis is to miss the point entirely. Beethoven was the first composer to humanize music - that is, to render it PSYCHOLOGICAL. It is this very "strain", as you correctly call it, which makes him the grand-master of musical composition still to this day. In fact, it is on this very basis that I sympathize with the many dozens of my peers who can scarcely listen to Mozart for this very reason: his music is TOO natural, seldom human. I don't prescribe to this view entirely, but I certainly view his Requiem as an exception to the rule.

I don't disagree with you at all, and my comments were not meant to be qualitative. But the "strain" I referred to is not just an aesthetic choice; Beethoven would agonize over a piece of music for months and years, whereas Mozart would write out all symphonic parts in first drafts without even having to go through the intermediary process of having to compose on a grand staff, which is what most composers do.

The last movement of the 9th might be my favorite piece of music ever, but even there I don't think the Mozartian standard of "change one note and the enitre thing fall apart" holds. In fact, there are many notes I probably would change (I'd actually like to excise the entire fugal section in strings,) but the seemingly slapdash nature of the composition actually underlines the sense of revelry in the text.

Of course, had Mozart lived to be older, it's probable that he would have attempted to write music that was more ambitious in form.

WTF does that even mean? Sounds like pseudo-academic mental masturbation.
confused.gif

Actually, he's entirely right. Mozart's music is rooted in an aesthetic of classicism that basically comes from Hellenistic/Apollonian ideals of form and proportion. Beethoven's music had fractured forms that underlined the emotional content of the music, where mental states are described experientially rather than as a kind of static abstraction alluded to through Classical tropes. It's a straight line from Beethoven to Symphonie Fantastique and Erwartung.

Of course, that's a simplification to some degree. It's very possible to hear a real-time description of mental states in Mozart, and even as late a Beethoven piece as the Alla danza tedesca from the SQ in Bb Op 130 is as charming and "classical" a piece as Mozart's ever written, where the unexpected turns come off more as delightful surprises rather than attempts at being purposefully jarring (which Beethoven certainly did much of the time.)

hypersonic

Reaction score
I don't prescribe to this view entirely, but I certainly view his Requiem as an exception to the rule.

The Requiem has become one of Mozart's most popular works ...but it should be noted that there is debate over how much of it he actually wrote ...as he died before it was completed.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Harnoncourt makes the Requiem too intellectual, too scary and sparse. SACD is nice, but try Karajan from 1975. http://www.amazon.com/Mozart-Requiem-Josà -van-Dam/dp/B000001GDM/ref=sr_1_31?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1253071014&sr=8-31 P.S. Mozart is certainly a Master - and the Requiem is certainly a masterpiece - but he remains Beethoven's pupil.
TBH, this is how I learned to sing it and how I've heard it interpreted quite a few times. I think the Requiem is at its most powerful when performed in this manner. P.S., anyone know John Rutter's Requiem? It is brilliant.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hypersonic
The Requiem has become one of Mozart's most popular works ...but it should be noted that there is debate over how much of it he actually wrote ...as he died before it was completed.
I thought he wrote the entire thing up until Benedictus, and then at least some portions of the rest? BTW, "Dies Irae" almost scares me into a believer everytime I hear it.

hypersonic

Reaction score
I thought he wrote the entire thing up until Benedictus, and then at least some portions of the rest?

BTW, "Dies Irae" almost scares me into a believer everytime I hear it.

Hmm ...not sure about the details Conne -- it is magnificent though. I think Mozart left enough information to allow it to be completed as closely as possible to how he would have wanted it.

PS, I really love the Benedictus
blush.gif
...even if W.A.M. didn't write it.

Sherman90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought he wrote the entire thing up until Benedictus, and then at least some portions of the rest?

BTW, "Dies Irae" almost scares me into a believer everytime I hear it.

I didn't know you were a singer! In a choir? What range?

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hypersonic
Another piece that the audience were outraged by was Prokofiev's 2nd Piano Concerto -- its premiere was at an open air concert in August 1913. The audience got more than they bargained for from the young genius -- not quite the gentle summer evening music they might have expected -- I love the extreme dissonance at the end of the 3rd movement. Prokofiev's brilliant use of dissonance is still virtually unrivaled.

One of my favorite pieces of music ever. Two interesting facts: it was written after he found out his best friend had just committed suicide, which could explain its angst-ridden dissonance, and what we hear today is not what the audience heard in 1913, because the score was destroyed in a fire, and Prokoviev had to reconstruct it from memory. In the process, he revised it extensively, and basically considered it his 4th piano concerto.

--Andre

hypersonic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Y
One of my favorite pieces of music ever. Two interesting facts: it was written after he found out his best friend had just committed suicide, which could explain its angst-ridden dissonance, and what we hear today is not what the audience heard in 1913, because the score was destroyed in a fire, and Prokoviev had to reconstruct it from memory. In the process, he revised it extensively, and basically considered it his 4th piano concerto.

--Andre

Thanks for such interesting information Andre. I love several of Prokofiev's works.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
Depends what for. I play clarinet, and the K622 is sort of a defining piece, but in that context Mozart is not unrivaled by Brahms and Weber, among others.

Don't forget Rachmaninov.
How is it even possible to?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads