• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mozart really is the best.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Listening to the SACD of Harnoncourt's recording of the Requiem. Ho-lee ****. Transcends time and space, this does.

bach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
Listening to the SACD of Harnoncourt's recording of the Requiem. Ho-lee ****. Transcends time and space, this does.
attention_whore3.jpg
I'm not the biggest Mozart fan but I might have to check out this interpretation if it's as good as you say it is...

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bach
I'm not the biggest Mozart fan but I might have to check out this interpretation if it's as good as you say it is...

Seeing your username I was expecting some kind of witty retort
laugh.gif

hypersonic

Reaction score
Love Bach and Mozart very much ....but I can not possibly ever say who is best -- what about composers like Cherubini and Pergolesi? -- there are many geniuses who have faded into the background of history.

Beethoven's Emperor Concerto is one of the most uplifting I can think of ......and there have been several geniuses in the 20th century who I would also rate among the greatest too.

Albern

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hypersonic
.....and there have been several geniuses in the 20th century who I would also rate among the greatest too.

Can you please name a few that I can look up? (serious request)

hypersonic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Albern
Can you please name a few that I can look up? (serious request)

Sure, a few 20th Century composers I would rate among the greatest of all time are:

Gustav Mahler
Claude Debussy (he was to music what Paul CÃ
00a9.png
zanne was to painting )
Giacomo Puccini
Alban Berg (his Violin Concerto is a Modern masterpiece)
Igor Stravinsky
00a9.png
la Bartók
Sergei Prokofiev (the more you listen to it the more you're hooked)
George Gershwin (A true genius if ever there was one)
Jean Sibelius
Dmitri Shostakovich
Benjamin Britten
Alfred Schnittke

Albern

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hypersonic
Sure, a few 20th Century composers I would rate among the greatest of all time are:

Gustav Mahler
Claude Debussy (he was to music what Paul CÃ
00a9.png
zanne was to painting )
Giacomo Puccini
Alban Berg (his Violin Concerto is a Modern masterpiece)
Igor Stravinsky
00a9.png
la Bartók
Sergei Prokofiev (the more you listen to it the more you're hooked)
George Gershwin (A true genius if ever there was one)
Jean Sibelius
Dmitri Shostakovich
Benjamin Britten
Alfred Schnittke

Thank you!! Now I have some learning to do.

hypersonic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Albern
Thank you!! Now I have some learning to do.
Are you familiar with any of them?

20th century music, like fine art and politics, went through radical changes -- lots of new ideas.

Arnold Schoenberg invented 'twelve-tone' music, which attemptd to order musical composition so that all 12 notes of the chromatic scale were played before one could be repeated -- the resulting music sounds anything but ordered -- it sounds 'atonal' (without melody).

Arnold Schoenberg. Suite for Piano Op. 25 - Part II
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

The brilliant American composer Charles Ives experimented with 'polytonality' -- he was often inspired by the band music he grew up with in Danbury, Connecticut.

Charles Ives' first and most influential teacher was his father, George, a Civil War band leader, who introduced him to the concepts of polytonality and multiple meters. Young Charles grew up listening to his father's bands marching up and down Danbury's Main Street and was greatly influenced by his father's frequent musical experiments. One popular anecdote recounts the occasion when several of George's bands marched to Elmwood Park from different directions simultaneously playing marches in different meters and keys. Another tells of George's experiments with quarter tones, which were inspired by the out-of-tune church bells of the First Congressional Church next to his home.

Charles Ives. The Unanswered Question
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Igor Stravinsky's 'The Rite of Spring' (Le Sacre du Printemps) ballet music is famous for causing a riot at its premiere in Paris in 1913 -- a true case of "the shock of the new"

The audience was shocked by the dissonance and violence of the music -- but also by the aggressive movements of Sergei Diaghilev's ballet dances who had their feet tuned in.

From Wikipedia
The complex music and violent dance steps depicting fertility rites first drew catcalls and whistles from the crowd. At the start with the opening bassoon solo, the audience began to boo loudly due to the slight discord in the background notes behind the bassoon's opening melody. There were loud arguments in the audience between supporters and opponents of the work. These were soon followed by shouts and fistfights in the aisles. The unrest in the audience eventually degenerated into a riot. The Paris police arrived by intermission, but they restored only limited order. Chaos reigned for the remainder of the performance, and Stravinsky himself was so upset on account of its reception that he fled the theater in mid-scene, reportedly crying. Fellow composer Camille Saint-Saëns famously stormed out of the première (though Stravinsky later said "I do not know who invented the story that he was present at, but soon walked out of, the premiere.") allegedly infuriated over the misuse of the bassoon in the ballet's opening bars.

Stravinsky ran backstage, where Diaghilev was turning the lights on and off in an attempt to try to calm the audience. Nijinsky stood on a chair, leaned out (far enough that Stravinsky had to grab his coat-tail), and shouted counts to the dancers, who were unable to hear the orchestra (this was challenging because Russian numbers are polysyllabic above ten, such as seventeen: semnadsat vs. eighteen: vosemnadsat).

Although Nijinsky and Stravinsky were despondent, Diaghilev (a Russian art critic as well as the ballet's impresario) commented that the scandal was "just what I wanted".

Igor Stravinsky. 'The Rite of Spring', First movement, L'adoration de la Terre (The adoration of the earth)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads