• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Moved to NYC- Lifestyle change; lost weight, help me regain

BlakeS

Reaction score
Stats: 24 yrs, 5' 10"

I moved to NYC about 6 months ago. Prior, I lived in Florida all my life where we get around by cars and not walking. While in Florida, I began working out M-F January 2007 and I weighed around 160lbs. By December 2007 I weighed 195lbs, but my body fat was about 18%(est).

I went through a long term breakup at the end of December 2007, which unintentionally made me loose weight to about 185+/- in January 2008. I still continued to workout everyday because it kept my mind off the emotional pain.

I moved to NYC April 2008 and weighed about 180lbs. I have been playing soccer maybe 1-2 times/week and still workout everyday at work. I now weigh 170lbs, 25lbs less than December 2007! I am about 7-8% body fat now. Needless to say, I don't like this, I feel very skinny.

For comparison, at my workout peak, my arms measured 17.5" relaxed, now they are about 15" maybe a little less- 2.5" lost!

I have done my best to eat high protein meals like I always did in Florida, but I can't seem to put on the pounds as quickly as I did back home. I've now weighed in the 170-173lbs range for 1.5 months. I do, do a lot more cardio than before, and eating is not as easy as it was back home. But I still cook dinner and maybe eat out 2-3 times/month.

I think part of the problem is I've maintained a 3-4 meal schedule. However, this is what I did in Florida and I still gained 35lbs in 1 year?

Here is my current meal schedule:

Breakfast:
Yogurt
Bagel w/ peanut butter

Lunch:
Chicken breast/or turkey & ham wrap
Veggies
Protein shake

<Workout after lunch>

Post workout:
Protein shake

Dinner:
Chicken breast & pasta

By the way, I'm still always looking to meetup with new people and hangout. I've gained a small friend circle so far, but would like to meet like-minded others as well!

Hope you guys can help!

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
5' 10&quot; 170 is good, not skinny. I'm 5' 11&quot; 145 - now that's skinny....

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The body quickly adapts to diet and workouts. That's why you might stop seeing results after a while, even if what you've eaten and done has yielded changes before. It's why people who go on diets inevitably end up weighing more than when they started out. They dangerously undereat, lose weight, plateau, and then eventually start eating more when their body can't take eating like a bird anymore. By that point, their metabolism has been shot and the body reacts to this sudden influx of food by storing more fat than usual.

Your diet is a good start, but needs a lot of work. First, squeeze in two or three smaller meals to what you've already got. Breakfast needs to be your biggest meal of the day (next to your PWO meal). I don't know what your shakes are made up of, but at a glance, I doubt you're hitting 2,000 calories. If you're working out as often as you say you are, your body absolutely needs more calories if you're looking to retain or add bulk.

BlakeS

Reaction score
Thanks. I think part of the problem is, what I am eating now in terms of calories/protein/meals, is what I did in Florida and I still managed to gain all that weight?

The only thing about me that has changed from Florida to NYC is I walk and the soccer. But even then, I eat before and after soccer, so I'm not depriving my body of any calories.

I said I feel skinny because at 25lbs lighter (a good portion lost muscle) I do fee a lot skinner than what I was before.

Kris

Reaction score
If you want to add muscle mass and overall bulk, you're going to need way more calories, including carbs. Especially considering your height and your level of activity. The formula is simple: eat heartily/healthily, and perform heavy lifts- deadlifts, olympic lifts, squats, farmer's walk, static hold, barbell row, barbell shrugs, incline bench, squat/press, etc. All that combined with calories and a decent level of cardio (I use burpees, stairs, jogging, sprints, shadowboxing) will bulk you up without adding a ton of gut.

blank

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was going to say the same thing. I'm really not a nutrition source, or a fitness source, but I'm reading a ton and working out a ton, and based on what you want, it just seems like you can eat more calories before lunch, possibly before dinner, and before bed. Not large quantities, but snacks. Nuts, cottage cheese, some turkey breast.

taktikz

Reaction score
The first problem you have to address with your diet is to eat more Carbs. Especially early in the day... A bagel isn't enough in the morning.
Add Cereal or Oatmeal...

If you want to gain weight, consume more calories... Try Meal Replacements if preparing food is too time consuming...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics