• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Most Versatile Shoe Color - Burgundy vs. Brown?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
But isn't there a Rule somewhere that says you're wrong about this?
Impossible. Rule #1 is that I made up all the rules, hence I cannot be wrong about any of them.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^^^ I admit, I love the look of warm, almost fiery, chestnut brown leather.
Thank you. This is exactly what I was clumsily trying to describe.
Originally Posted by Manton
I like burgundy only in shell; calf never. I do think brown is more versatile, and I prefer it with navy.
I agree about preferring burgundy in shell to calf. I almost think I like the shell version enough to make it worth wearing my pair. But then I don't, because I always reach for something else.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Impossible. Rule #1 is that I made up all the rules, hence I cannot be wrong about any of them.

I thought I was your Rule-making apprentice. The unwritten Rule is that the apprentice of the Rulemaker shall supercede the authority of the Rulemaker should the Rulemaker demonstrate that he is so entirely and utterly wrong about something that he threatens to discredit the Rules as a whole.

I'm just stepping up.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The problem with darker shades of brown is that they can sometimes have a greyish cast to them. Blue cloth almost always has some greyishness in it. The combination clashes in a subtle but tangible way. My ideal brown shoes to match with blue would be a warm, dark brown.

Burgundy shoes don't have this problem.

I've never seen this, tho I suspect this may be due to improper care, i.e. layer upon layer of wax polish. I have found the opposite to be true, especially when viewed in direct sunlight. My brown shoes come to life.

I have, however, witnessed this gray "casting" on a pair of burgundy shell loafers I owned. Kinda waxy.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
The only brown shoes I have seen with a grayish cast are Lobbs in pewter museum. I thought they looked great.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't mean a literal layer of grey. I mean that the brown at issue is often a cooler, greyer brown, with less red in it. Maybe 'dull' is a better word for the effect.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Foo, look at it this way: Which is more versatile on a suit, brown or burgundy buttons?

Aha!

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigbris1
Foo, look at it this way: Which is more versatile on a suit, brown or burgundy buttons?

Aha!

pwned.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I actually have a pair of brown shoes that started off as an orangey brown. They have since developed into a lovely darker brown with a hint of orange when in the sunlight. I think they look stunning. They are the only pair of brown shoes I own which I prefer over my burgundy ones. I believe they are a rare exception to my preference of burgundy, however I also find a lot of higher end shoes with very nice browns...too bad they're out of my price range...(smalltimer)
Foo, look at it this way: Which is more versatile on a suit, brown or burgundy buttons? Aha!
lol
pwned.
HAHA! I feel like that's similar to hearing my dad say it...too funny.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Aha!

pwned.

Ha! Buttons and shoes serve different visual purposes and with different magnitudes of effect. Moreover, the mind's eye doesn't like burgundy buttons because burgundy isn't a natural color for horn.

For the counter-pwn: the only purpose for the Rules to exist is to tell people that what they already think is wrong. Thus, that brown is leading in this poll is proof-positive that burgundy is the more versatile shoe color according to the Rules. Any other reading of the Rules would render them moot, and the Rules won't allow themselves to de-exist so easily.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Moreover, the mind's eye doesn't like burgundy buttons because burgundy isn't a natural color for horn.
Exactly how I feel about burgundy calf.

ProfessorShak

Reaction score
Ha! Buttons and shoes serve different visual purposes and with different magnitudes of effect. Moreover, the mind's eye doesn't like burgundy buttons because burgundy isn't a natural color for horn.

For the counter-pwn: the only purpose for the Rules to exist is to tell people that what they already think is wrong. Thus, that brown is leading in this poll is proof-positive that burgundy is the more versatile shoe color according to the Rules. Any other reading of the Rules would render them moot, and the Rules won't allow themselves to de-exist so easily.

At the time of this reading however, the preference is evenly split
fistbump.gif
with only a few choosing Niether
confused.gif
and not elaborating
mad.gif
So far it's been very interesting, I may just do a Cordovan vs. Calf Poll ....

cearain

Reaction score
For dress shoes:
I suppose, if you could only have *one* color shoe to go with everything, burgundy would be it. But I think if you have a pair of black shoes you are better off picking brown for a second color.

For casual:
I think its brown. I'm not familiar with many casual burgundy shoes. The burgundy shoes I have in mind really wouldn't go with any casual pants. But I'm sure someone can prove me wrong.

kcc

Reaction score
Subjective view of course, but burgundy's richness is incomparable.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Wow, I'm surprised at how close this poll is. At the moment, burgandy is actually ahead by one vote. Given the shoes we see posted most often on the forum, I expected that brown would be ahead by a gigantic margin.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads