• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Most underappreciated films

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Awww... the magical negro! Will Smith does that so well. But he's got a long way to go to top Morgan Freeman.

Rye GB

Angry Englishman
Reaction score
As a child growing up in England these were Friday night classics:
# Carry On Sergeant (1958)
# Carry On Nurse (1959)
# Carry On Teacher (1959)
# Carry On Constable (1960)
# Carry On Regardless (1961)
# Carry On Cruising (1962)
# Carry On Cabby (1963)
# Carry On Jack (1963)
# Carry On Spying (1964)
# Carry On Cleo (1964)
# Carry On Cowboy (1965)
# Carry On Screaming (1966)
# Carry On Don't Lose your Head (1966)
# Carry On Follow That Camel (1967)
# Carry On Doctor (1968)
# Carry On Up The Khyber (1968)
# Carry On Camping (1969)
# Carry On Again Doctor (1969)
# Carry On Up The Jungle (1970)
# Carry On Loving (1970)
# Carry On Henry (1971)
# Carry On at Your Convenience (1971)
# Carry On Matron (1972)
# Carry On Abroad (1972)
# Carry On Girls (1973)
# Carry On Dick (1973)

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I don't think I've seen Tampopo mentioned yet.

Or Snatch (does it qualify?)

Was Trainspotting too big to fit in here?

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Based on the idea that "underappreciated" means it didn't make much money or I never hear anyone talk about it, I will add

The Imposters (Stanley Tucci and Oliver Platt are stowaways in 1930s)

Illuminata (odd romance with John Tuturro)

Murder By Death (genius Neil Simon written spoof from the 70s--I hear some indie band stole this as their name)

And I'll add my +1 to

Brick (I never hear anyone outside of TS talk about this and it's great)

Dark City (ditto)

Jekyll

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rdawson808
Murder By Death (genius Neil Simon written spoof from the 70s--I hear some indie band stole this as their name)
It's surprising how little attention this movie gets. It's a virtual "Who's Who" of great actors. It's pretty funny, but IIRC it has a very weird vibe that might have turned some people off. I should watch it again though, because it's been a really long time. If you're a fan of classic murder mysteries you should definitely give it a watch. Oh and what's "TS"? I'm not sure if it's actually obscure, but I don't think Charade is as well known as it should be. It's a great comedy-thriller with Cary Grant and Audrey Hepburn. It's quite clever and a lot of fun.

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mauby
Three O'Clock High - comedy of the Ferris Beuller variety.

I just watched this again last week, it's on a free streaming service online: Hulu or Crackle or the like, I don't remember which one.

David Watts

Reaction score
Originally Posted by binge
The Conversation
Originally Posted by HORNS
Never heard of it. Looks good.
Filmed on a break between Godfather I and II. Excellent vintage (SF) Union Square footage.
Originally Posted by Fuuma
Pick up Italian and listen movies like Milano calibro 9 instead, it'll be easier. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067429/
Never seen the film, but the soundtrack is fantastic. I would recommend Hud, because few people under the age of 50 have seen it, and Mishima: A Life in Four Chapters. because few people have even heard of it, much less seen it. Edit: And The Party with Peter Sellers, because it's one of the best comedies most people have never seen.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jekyll
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
One of the funniest unknown comedies in years with well-known actors. This film never got the shot it deserved.
Originally Posted by robin
The Fountain
I thought the story was ok but I feel this film is underrated in terms of its technical making. The microscopic chemical reactions as backdrops were nothing short of breathtaking.
Originally Posted by Chiaroscuro
Children of Men.
Again, another technical marvel. People get too involved with arguing over the story (which wasn't bad) but do not pay attention to the CGI editing that made multi-shot sequences appear completely seamless and continuous. Mindblowing.
Originally Posted by Gradstudent78
Dark City.
Huge in cult circles. Think it never became "famous" because of all the "Johnny Mnemonic" movies that came out around the same time with a similar aesthetic.
Originally Posted by pseudonym
The Fall
The best film I've seen since its release, easily one of my all-time favorite films. The story is solid, the cinematography is ground-breaking, and its production is legendary. It was filmed in over 20+ countries over the course of 10+ years. Why this was snubbed by the Oscars and general public still puzzles me.
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
Lets see, just from memory:CQ
Loved the charm and aesthetic.
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim

Series 7

Frailty

"Series 7" is a must for anyone who watches any form of reality TV. Frailty is just plain damn good; I wouldn't recommend reading up on it, just watch it and let it unfold.

My contribution:
-"The Last of Sheila": Great 70s whodunnit for fans of Agatha Christie.
-"Snow Falling on Cedars": Visually one of the best films I've seen. The story is nothing spectacular but the images come off the screen like poetry.
-"Taxi" (Original French version): Luc Besson doing what he does best. Film can be unpolished at certain points but the stunts are unmatched. No idea why Queen and Jimmy had to **** up the remake so badly.
-"Big Blue": Another great Besson film.
-"Petulia": If you ever want to see what the 60s counter-culture was like, this is the film for you. Far less pretentious than "Blow Up."
-"Stalingrad": One of the better war films made but because it's foreign is relatively unknown in the US.
-"Swartboek" (Black Book): Similar deal as "Stalingrad" although two completely different films.
-"Closer": Probably my favorite movie about relationships. Dialogue is absolutely genius.

I'm sure more will come to me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads