• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Most overrated movie/actor.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
The Blairwitch Project

UMass

Reaction score
Jennifer Aniston - nice boobs, but nothing else
I think Brad Pitt argees.
laugh.gif

Nic Cage, he is the same in all his movies or maybe he just plays the same role in all his movies.
plain.gif

Violinist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
Did I say Star Wars in this thread yet? Star Wars. All of them. (Well, I think I've seen 5 of them, but I can't remember.) Also, I've never been able to get into Alien(s) or The Fifth Element despite repeated viewings. There are a bunch of movies that lots of people think are really awesome that I feel like I'm watching paint dry.

I though 5th Element was supposed to be a kind of kitchy joke? People actually liked it???

Dormouse

Reaction score
Did I say Star Wars in this thread yet? Star Wars. All of them. (Well, I think I've seen 5 of them, but I can't remember.) Also, I've never been able to get into Alien(s) or The Fifth Element despite repeated viewings. There are a bunch of movies that lots of people think are really awesome that I feel like I'm watching paint dry.
Ah, no love for science fiction?

I though 5th Element was supposed to be a kind of kitchy joke?
I liked it. It's campiness was part of the allure.

Violinist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I enjoy yogurt on bright sunday afternoons..however I make sure to stay away from the lawn on early mornings due to the wet grass

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dormouse
Ah, no love for science fiction?

I don't see why Star Wars is science fiction. There's no science, just space ships. Alien(s) are thrillers/horrors set in space. The Fifth Element is the closest to sci-fi, but it's more of a comedy/chase movie.

Anyway, I do like some of what's called sci-fi. Blade Runner, for example, is one of my favorite movies. At least that has some technical stuff involved in the plot.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
I don't see why Star Wars is science fiction. There's no science, just space ships. Alien(s) are thrillers/horrors set in space. The Fifth Element is the closest to sci-fi, but it's more of a comedy/chase movie.

Anyway, I do like some of what's called sci-fi. Blade Runner, for example, is one of my favorite movies. At least that has some technical stuff involved in the plot.

You just like Bladerunner for Sean Young, that crazy, crazy *****.

smile.gif

Dormouse

Reaction score
Originally Posted by j

What? You don't believe in the Force?

mayonaise

Reaction score
In the last couple of months I have to say Marie Antoinette with Kristen Dunst was a big disappointment and a total waste of time. Really misguiding campaigne in advance... I expected a great costume movie and I even went to watch it thinking it would probably not be very historically.

What it turned out to be, upset me for falling for it in the first place.

trajan

Reaction score
The question of "who's overrated" is not well-defined, and it is an unfair question. If you take a look at the movies that make money, acting well is not necessary, and in fact it might be detremental. Today, only playing a few stereotypes pays off, maybe because people project themselves into that role and really not following the movie itself. Thus, a successful movie would not be realist movie, and the performances will not be realist as well. But what pays off? Having a pretty face does, like Brad Pitt, Angelina Jolie, Scarlett Johanson or whom ever people consider beautiful; smiling and flirting all the time, like Cameron Diaz, etc; having a nice body -- Arnold is a bit over the top, but people used to go just to watch him (can you believe he's made a few movies where he only says a couple of words???), etc.

If you want good acting, watch old movies (they may be a bit boring). A few days ago I watched Blue Velvet a movie with Marlene Dietriech, and she's a lot more than a pretty face. Unfortunately, the movie is boring compared to today's movies, due to the lack of jokes and flirts. Marlene Dietriech is just one of many actors that actually acted well. My favorite actors are Kathrene Hepburn and Cary Grant. From today's actors, Johnny Depp is the best. He played many types of roles well, very well. But most people don't care that he's versatile, but rather that he looks good -- and he's handsome indeed.

Better yet, if you want acting go to the theater!

btw, the rank #1 movie at the top box office is Stomp the Yard with 25.9 millions in one week-end, and even IMDB is giving it a 2.1 score. I haven't seen it, and I can't help but wonder -- how can a 2.1/10 movie make 25.9 in the opening week-end, and the really good movies (many times independent) are not on the radar screen?

--trajan

trajan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
Most despised actor: Mel Gibson. I can't abide that bombastic old ham, and I felt that way long before his anti-semitic outburst a few months ago. Worst movies I thought I might like: 1. Gods and Generals 2. Braveheart 3. The Thin Red Line (I had forgotten about that turkey until someone mentioned it.) Worst Movies I had no expectations of: Black Moon Death in Venice
People's beliefs are not in question, but their skills. You can't say he's acting sucks because he's an antisemite, or a homophobe, or whatever. It just shouldn't matter. Mel Gibson plays the same role every time, it's the tough guy who doesn't want to lose. See Braveheart, Payback, The Patriot. Even when he's playing comedy, he's still playing the role of a tough guy, and he's very good at playing tough. He's linear, and he doesn't try to be something else. Thus, he shouldn't even be considered for the most overrated. Braveheart is a very good movie. How can you possibly think it's the second worst movie ever? --trajan

trajan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Newton
Master and Commander undderrated? Give us a break.

In a ROTC leadership class the instructor made us watch and study Master and Commander. I then developed a good appreciation for the movie.

--trajan

wojt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Vertigo
V for Vendetta
Dark Knight Rises

All average movies, why they are considered masterpieces is beyond me.

I don't see why Star Wars is science fiction. There's no science, just space ships.

OFC because no advanced science is involved in concept of a spaceship, they are just space ships.

Last edited:

Dr Huh?

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I won't be getting any thumbs up for this, but Raging Bull. It's Robert De Niro acting like an asshole in black and white for two hours, with a few fight scenes thrown in, and some slow motion and opera music. I just don't get this movie at all. Goodfellas and Taxi Driver are superior movies.

gort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pulp Fiction is overrated. Not a single character worth caring about. You need to be rooting for SOMEBODY.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads