• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Most annoying people at the gym...

Thebomb85019

Reaction score
1. The guy at the gym who takes up 2 squat racks. One to do squats, the other to do lunges. (My gym only has two squat racks).

2. The guy who does everything on the smith machine and cables.

3. The really obese people who hog up the weighted ab machines because they believe their huge waist will magically get smaller.

4. The fine ass girl who is half naked doing exercises... ok not annoying as much as distracting.
wink.gif

DuMont

Reaction score
1) Weird Getups: There was a guy who dressed like the "cable guy" striped socks to his knees, headband, armbands and a running singlet. Guys in Zubaz or spandex pants with 3 layered tanktops.

2) People who invent new movements: Hard to describe, but people do some wacky movements with weights thinking they are doing anytinng but waiting for a trip to the ER.

3) Peolpe with stank: either perfume, chronic garlic or curry, and lack of deodorant.

4) Roaring; The guy with every rep of every exercise who roars like he is lifting a car. It is so load that he startles people, and pretty soon after his arrival, everyone is cracking up under their breath.

5) People who use the recumbant exercise bike to catch up on People magazine. I want to go up to them and ask "how is that fat ass of yours coming along?"

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bwonger06
3. The really obese people who hog up the weighted ab machines because they believe their huge waist will magically get smaller.

Originally Posted by DuMont
5) People who use the recumbant exercise bike to catch up on People magazine. I want to go up to them and ask "how is that fat ass of yours coming along?"

How about the arrogant pricks who can't understand that some people may be fat, but are trying to lose weight and are following their doctor's orders to simply get their heart rate up for 30 minutes a day?

They may be fat, but they can lose weight. As for you...?

b

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That list is awful. Here is my list in no particular order of characters that I hate at my gym that I have come to see at other gyms: The Mayor/politician: This motherfucker knows every single person in the gym. Short and fat he greets everyone and shoots the **** with them and gossips about other members. He also thinks he knows everything. When he isnt talking about bullshit with another member he is giving someone bad workout advice. I've never seen him lift a weight... Captain Body Odor: This guy is in his mid-late 40s and is in great shape. Looks like ex-military. Seems like a nice dude but I just stay away from him because he consistently smells like a foot. The attention whore: Probably one of the most hated members of the gym. He is not in good shape but acts like he is the most finely tuned human machine on the planet. Lifts heavy for every exercise he does and just throws weight around grunting, screaming, and slamming the weight together each rep. When he is finished he throws the dumbells on the floor, or slams the weight stack back together and looks around at the gym to see who is witnessing his incredible strength. Form is doesnt exist in his world and any onlooker needs to pay close attention to what he is doing to decipher what exercise/muscle group he's trying to work. He also sneaks up on people when they are doing sets and attempts to spot them and motivate them by screaming and throwing off all of the focus and concentration they might have had. The fat guy who thinks he's big... So what if his pre-workout meal was 2 dozen buffalo wings and with a few budweisers. He thinks hes huge and has an ego, but is very confused.

Thebomb85019

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rdawson808
How about the arrogant pricks who can't understand that some people may be fat, but are trying to lose weight and are following their doctor's orders to simply get their heart rate up for 30 minutes a day?

They may be fat, but they can lose weight. As for you...?

b

1. Ok just so I can hit both sides... the 6 foot, 120 pounds soak and wet guy hitting the ab machine... and only use the cable machines where they only do one exercise on each of the machines so he can achieve the "brad pitt look from fight club". Is not that I have a problem with them (and the fatties) hogging up the ab machine as much as I have a problem where their "plan". If you want to achieve something, back it up with at least a semi-decent plan. Abs should probably be last in both of the groups priority.

2. I find it annoying to hear people say the Brad Pitt look is easily attainable but they just do not look like that because they are too lazy. Maybe if you use Clen or have very lucky genetics, otherwise, it takes years to get that type of body.

3. I find it extremely annoying when very skinny people do not want to hit the weights because they are afraid they will get bulky and they do not want to become the typical "bro"/"meathead".

svelten

Reaction score
1. Guys who do the barbell rows by dropping the entire barbell + 300 lbs worth of weights onto the floor, EACH REP. You can imagine how unbearably loud this becomes for the gym during his set. This has happened on more than one occasion at my gym.

2. People who expect to be allowed to "reserve" equipment after leaving for a 5+ minute washroom break, either by leaving some of their stuff on the seat or coming back while someone else is using it and saying "Oh I'm not done my set yet"

3. People who wear jeans / any sort of denim to the gym. Why?

jordansmith123

Reaction score
I'd say I'm pretty skinny for my height, im 6'1 and 175.
However I do want to getting bigger and more fit, but i do realize that some stuff I do I guess is pretty annoying. I'll start cycling for 15 minutes, then hit the row machine for about 10 minutes then for the next hour or so i'll do some lifting. But I tend to go late at night past peak hours because i don't like people waiting for me to finish and I can go my own pace.

One of my pet peeves though is when someone takes up three machines at once to work on their routine and he puts each of his belonging on each machine as if to claim it. Usually a towel, bag and water.

Another one is those very sweaty people that are dripping all over the machines and don't clean it up. They simply wipe the machine once with their towels even though there is disinfectant spray a couple of feet away from them.

bawlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by svelten
1. Guys who do the barbell rows by dropping the entire barbell + 300 lbs worth of weights onto the floor, EACH REP. You can imagine how unbearably loud this becomes for the gym during his set. This has happened on more than one occasion at my gym.

Grow the **** up. 300lbs is a lot of weight for a barbell row so let them do whatever the **** they need to do to finish the set (assuming their form is decent). Can you even do a 300lb deadlift?

My pet peeve is people whining about other people who push serious weight.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Girls with huge rack running on treadmills without bra... no it's not annoying, just very distracting, and I don't know where to look without getting a woody eventually.

Mazda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did the singer/dancers make anyones list?

Every single time I have been to the gym this month, theres a woman in her early fourties who rides the bikes and mumble/sings to her iPod whilst making down syndrome-esque vogue movements with her hands. her favorite is the slow arm spread to jazz hands. It's so ridiculous it's mesmerizing.

I'll comend her for frequent visits but I doubt her lax bike pedaling is doing much for her.

Theres also a small asian girl who wears a norwegian thrift knit hat WITH the ear flaps tied most days and old converse with no socks while working out. Not annoying just absurd.

I find the wander around...improperly use the machine...give up...wander around...half ass a 15 pound leg extension 5 times...go home people highly amusing/ yet slightly sad.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
The guy who dances in front of the mirror is pretty funny. Usually indian. I love the slowly-walkin'-and-checkin'-himself-out-in-the-mirror guy.

yerfdog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mazda

Every single time I have been to the gym this month, theres a woman in her early fourties who rides the bikes and mumble/sings to her iPod whilst making down syndrome-esque vogue movements with her hands. her favorite is the slow arm spread to jazz hands. It's so ridiculous it's mesmerizing.

hahahaa

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For those of you who can't handle showering naked - get over yourselves. I wasn't there but I've heard from reputable sources that back in the 70s, not only were men of course expected to shower nude, but they would in fact use gym pools (not coed) in the nude as well - no swimsuit. Seeing another man's gear should not make you uncomfortable. It is what it is. Avert your gaze and go about your business. And you're inconveniencing yourselves, hauling around a swimsuit.

More annoying people: guys who stand right in front of the free weight racks doing their curls or whatnot. The other day I gave a guy a few seconds to move back so I could access the weights I needed. When he didn't, I moved in, purposefully fucked up his form, and swore under my breath loudly enough for him to hear it. I got the evil eye for the next ten minutes, but maybe next time he'll realize there's space to work out in the gym not within two feet of the storage racks.

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bawlin
Grow the **** up. 300lbs is a lot of weight for a barbell row so let them do whatever the **** they need to do to finish the set (assuming their form is decent). Can you even do a 300lb deadlift?

My pet peeve is people whining about other people who push serious weight.

Chill, bro. I don't think it is proper form to drop the bar between rows (as opposed to deadlifts, or cleans/snatches).

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1. Ok just so I can hit both sides

Fair enough. People hogging machines are annoying no matter how they look.

2. I find it annoying to hear people say the Brad Pitt [in Fight Club] look

Maybe I lack ambition, but I find it unfathomable that anyone thinks they can look like that. It's the male equivalent of thinking you can look like a supermodel/hollywood star/fill-in-the-blank.

Originally Posted by Mazda

That's hilarious. I've never seen anyone do that. I'm not sure I could keep from laughing if I did.

b

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 102 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads