• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Monogram question

AlexPKeaton

Reaction score

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
When it comes to monograms, there are no "rules" specifying whether placement on one part of the shirt is "ok" and placement elsewhere is not. The only rule to follow is your personal preference.

Personally speaking, and as you seem to have anticipated, I do not care for monograms on the cuffs. When I have my MTM or bespoke shirts monogrammed (and I do have them monogrammed), I have the monogram placed on the lower shirt tail of the waist area. I find that cuff monograms tend to get noticed, and I don't consider the purpose of a monogram to attract attention. I'm not saying that attention is what you're after; it probably isn't at all. But that's what a lot of people might assume when they see the monogram on the cuff.

As for "rules," there's nothing prohibiting cuff placement. It's perfectly fine, and many people assume that the cuff is the most natural location for placement. It's just not my thing, is all.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Monograms aren't as frowned upon as they once were but you will run into class and generational pockets who will judge you about monograms placed in spots like your collar or cuff.

For letters, simple fonts, good handwork, smaller sized and matching or complimentary contrasting colors are good rules of thumb. However, I have seen some large monograms and some pictographic monograms that are very nice. I am working on getting a few done right for myself.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
there is a problem

it looks as if the monogram was placed on the left cuff, and the shirtmaker just switched the cuffs.

I guess the shirtmaker did not want to make a new cuff.
the monogram should be on the outside of the cuff.
Carl

AlexPKeaton

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. It does seem as though the shirtmaker just put the wrong cuffs on the wrong sleeve.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As Arrogant states, monograms come down to personal preference, use them wherever you like whenever you like, regardless of what others may say.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlexPKeaton
Thanks for the replies. It does seem as though the shirtmaker just put the wrong cuffs on the wrong sleeve.

nope!!!! i don't know who the shirtmaker is, but he was trying to get over .. there is no way that is correct.

gopherblue

Reaction score
Basically, as Shirtmaven astutely noticed, the shirtmaker futzed up on your shirt, and should redo the cuffs entirely, including placing the monogram in the right place on the right cuff.

adobe10

Reaction score
I agree with shirtmaven. looks like the right hand has the monogram but it's hidden so not sure if it's supposed to be seen or not but monograms for me are meant to be seen. this photo of monogram (guy on the right wearing blue) has the monogram on the left hand... just my 2 cents.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads