• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here is a (very) short write up from Garden & Gun about how to wear white bucks. Can't say I've ever had the inclination to wear them with jeans. Any thoughts on how you guys wear yours?

http://gardenandgun.com/articles/how-to-wear-white-bucks/

Never had any jeans, so can't comment on wearing white bucks with jeans. Usually wear white bucks (white wingtip bucks in this picture) with what I wear between Memorial Day and Labor Day.

(Pointing out the Lobster Festival probably isn't very festive for the lobsters involved.)

P1080071 2.jpg

(Posting pictures on Styleforum using the new format is in many ways similar to the experiences of the lobsters at the Lobster Festival.)

Michael81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Never had any jeans, so can't comment on wearing white bucks with jeans.

I obviously know nothing of eating Southern Trad, (or any other kind of trad for that matter) but I've been following the discussion in this thread with a lot of interest. I have nothing to add except that I find this to be an incredible statement. It's an impressive feat in this day and age and you are an example to us all.

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I meant the ones sold as "dirty bucks" right out of the box. Something like gray or "sand" suede/nubuck. Not white ones that turn "dirty" by going to outdoor weddings or taking a Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil walking tour.

Empires have been lost by those unable to appreciate the distinction.

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My Floyd & Haig bucks with proper brick sole ceased being bright white a few presidents ago. Accordingly, my man Fairchild monitors their patina and slowly darkens two or three pair of NOS shoestrings held in reserve so in case I break one, no one will notice.

But back to the original question, and in a slightly more serious vein, I don't wear true white bucks with blue jeans for a couple of reasons. One, despite their casualness, I regard them as nevertheless more "formal" than the sorts of jeans I wear and therefore incongruent. Not the $300 per pair stored in ziplock bags in the freezer kind the cool kids on SF wear. I mean my regular ol' 505's, suitable for wear when changing a headlight (whether one's Bentley or tractor).

The other reason is that if it is the time of year for white bucks, down here it is usually too hot for me to be wearing blue jeans. More likely, if wearing long trousers at all, it would be linen, seersucker, etc.

On the other hand, something that didn't begin its life as an official "white buck," e.g. some suede/nubuck blucher that when brand new was darker than "dingy," yeah, I think I might.

I'm not saying it is a defensible distinction. Just a quirk with me. And for whatever it is worth, on the odd occasion I notice someone else wearing a pair of white bucks, it never seems to be with jeans.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wear Oxfords with jeans every now and again. Usually with a sport coat. I wear AE Strands with jeans all the time. Don't own any white bucks so I will try to pull off Seersucker with AE Shreveport. Think these will work or should I go black shoe?

allen-edmonds-brown-shreveport.jpeg

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, but will they pair with a Seersucker suit? I like the half formal, half Tropical look. Might even be able to pull these off at work when it's 100 this summer.

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, but will they pair with a Seersucker suit? I like the half formal, half Tropical look. Might even be able to pull these off at work when it's 100 this summer.

Given the choice between the Shreveport in walnut and a black dress shoe, I would go with the Shreveport. IMO, black shoes with a seersucker suit is very difficult to do well. You have to dress everything else up somewhat formally, just so, almost a sort of "big city business" version of seersucker. About the only person who quickly comes to mind I've seen do that very well is our very own @upr_crust . To paraphrase Bobby Jones speaking of Jack Nicholas, "he's plays a game of which I am not familiar." The possibility of failure is great. You can end up looking like one of those senators who bought a new seersucker suit for Seersucker Thursday and doesn't quite feel comfortable figuring out what to do next. Bottom line, the SS suit is inherently informal, quite the opposite of a typical black dress shoe, so opting for something less formal in design and color is usually a safer move.

That Shreveport has open lacing, is light in color, and woven. Its plain cap toe seems a bit out of place but, again, if my choices were it and a black captoe, I'd opt for the Shreveport and not look back.

My own top 3 choices, in order, when wearing a SS suit are:

1. walnut and bone spectators
2. white bucks
3. a tan shoe with a lot of brogueing, e.g. everyone's walnut Strands.

I'm curious: is the Shreveport lined?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads