• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Today I begin a two day journey back to the south land. In the meantime I have a question for y’all (I gotta practice my “y’alls” again). Is it easier to become a dandy in a Southern Trad context than it is elsewhere? We’ve got the bright colors, the flashes of flair, the aristocratic history, etc. Or are Southern Trads as stodgy as trads everywhere else?

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Southern Trad seems less buttoned-up to me. Maybe a bit more relaxed than the Trad from the northeast. Should be easy! Can get a bit cartoonish with the full Derby ensemble sometimes.

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today I begin a two day journey back to the south land. In the meantime I have a question for y’all (I gotta practice my “y’alls” again). Is it easier to become a dandy in a Southern Trad context than it is elsewhere? We’ve got the bright colors, the flashes of flair, the aristocratic history, etc. Or are Southern Trads as stodgy as trads everywhere else?

Southern Trad seems less buttoned-up to me. Maybe a bit more relaxed than the Trad from the northeast. Should be easy! Can get a bit cartoonish with the full Derby ensemble sometimes.

To preface, I’ve never been to the NE/New England area.

My impression is the southern trad flamboyance (GTH pants, seersucker, etc) is similar across the traditional south, gulf coast, and eastern seaboard. For example, I wouldn’t be surprised to see kelly green pants in Houston, Atlanta, or Narragansett, but I would be surprised in Montana, North Dakota, or Colorado. I find that if I get comments in public about something I’m wearing (usually GTH pieces), people from the south/east/NE are typically the ones to say “where can I get that”, whereas the ones from elsewhere typically tell me that “you look great, but I could never pull that off”.

The other answer to this question is that, though there’s been a resurgence in menswear interest over the past decade or so (thanks to blogs and Instagram), many men still wear what their spouses pick out and what is most comfortable, both of which usually skew super casual (in this area, shorts and PFG shirts/t shirts).

Recently, I’ve worn fun shirts to work fairly regularly and had customers tell me “that looks awesome, I wish I could get my brother/dad/S.O. would wear stuff like that” or “I wish I could pull that off”. I tell them that all it takes to “pull something off” is not giving a damn what other people think. I think brightly colored pants and heavily patterned jackets are fun to wear and couldn’t care less if someone in joggers and Yeezys thinks I look ridiculous.

Also, speaking of Derby style, I like these pants:
BD9C85A4-566E-4DD0-9AC0-36031E33B18B.jpeg

Useful through the whole summer, since I drink lots of mint juleps.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To preface, I’ve never been to the NE/New England area.

My impression is the southern trad flamboyance (GTH pants, seersucker, etc) is similar across the traditional south, gulf coast, and eastern seaboard. For example, I wouldn’t be surprised to see kelly green pants in Houston, Atlanta, or Narragansett, but I would be surprised in Montana, North Dakota, or Colorado. I find that if I get comments in public about something I’m wearing (usually GTH pieces), people from the south/east/NE are typically the ones to say “where can I get that”, whereas the ones from elsewhere typically tell me that “you look great, but I could never pull that off”.

The other answer to this question is that, though there’s been a resurgence in menswear interest over the past decade or so (thanks to blogs and Instagram), many men still wear what their spouses pick out and what is most comfortable, both of which usually skew super casual (in this area, shorts and PFG shirts/t shirts).

Recently, I’ve worn fun shirts to work fairly regularly and had customers tell me “that looks awesome, I wish I could get my brother/dad/S.O. would wear stuff like that” or “I wish I could pull that off”. I tell them that all it takes to “pull something off” is not giving a damn what other people think. I think brightly colored pants and heavily patterned jackets are fun to wear and couldn’t care less if someone in joggers and Yeezys thinks I look ridiculous.

Also, speaking of Derby style, I like these pants:
View attachment 983984

Useful through the whole summer, since I drink lots of mint juleps.
Awesome pants!

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Here I am in Little Rock, Arkansas. Not a trad in sight yet. Interesting comments. I tend to agree that GTH items are essentially non existent in a place like Colorado (where I was last week). And yes, Southern Trad can look cartoonish on special occasions like Derby. I suppose no more so than ugly sweater parties or the like. It’s a moment for exuberance and that can often go wrong.

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No sooner did I post that when I saw three dudes in suits and ties walk into a nice steakhouse I stopped in. One was wearing a light khaki suit, the other two were dark. Awful ties on the lot of them.

DFW I dig it. I've occasionally run into stuff like that at Nordstrom Rack in Chicago. It's nice to live in places that aren't too trad just so you can get the good stuff on discount.

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here I am in Little Rock, Arkansas. Not a trad in sight yet. Interesting comments. I tend to agree that GTH items are essentially non existent in a place like Colorado (where I was last week). And yes, Southern Trad can look cartoonish on special occasions like Derby. I suppose no more so than ugly sweater parties or the like. It’s a moment for exuberance and that can often go wrong.

Well, a nice men's store there - Bauman's - is out on Cantrell, plus they have a little kiosk store in the historic Capital Hotel downtown but I think both would be closed by now and won't reopen until Monday.

I guess you are driving to Houston? Because if flying, you didn't go from Midway on SWA.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads