• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't own any madras except for a couple of ties. Neither of them seem to garner much appreciation when I post them, and the paler one usually brings more criticism than anything. I've never really understood why. :dozingoff:
View attachment 960420
View attachment 960421
The colours of the yellow one are superficially similar to Burberry's, as imitated countless times by bargain basement retailers, which could explain the strong reaction.

The purple one is rather interesting. I have a similar patterned one in unlined cashmere which goes well with orange cords for some reason (and the same navy SC).

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The colours of the yellow one are superficially similar to Burberry's, as imitated countless times by bargain basement retailers, which could explain the strong reaction.

The purple one is rather interesting. I have a similar patterned one in unlined cashmere which goes well with orange cords for some reason (and the same navy SC).

There actually isn't any purple in it. The two colors that may be showing that way in the picture are navy and red.

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Also, just grabbed this off eBay. Assuming it ends up fitting okay, I’m thinking of replacing the buttons with white MoP or off white horn. Thoughts?

F727B5C3-F10C-4A8F-8F5F-A792DA5D49EA.jpeg

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also, just grabbed this off eBay. Assuming it ends up fitting okay, I’m thinking of replacing the buttons with white MoP or off white horn. Thoughts?

View attachment 961745
Maybe buttons that match the white or blue in the Plaid? Bright MOP would look pretty cool too if the jacket is for summer.

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
if the jacket is for summer.

Well, it’s madras, so...

Thanks for the thoughts, I hadn’t thought of blue buttons.

Saw that article on B.B. earlier today. Much like B.B. itself, I’m not sure what to think. I appreciate the renewed emphasis on good cloth and construction, but I’ve been disappointed with some of the middling styling choices of the new garments.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was impressed by the owners determination to keep the US factories open. Hope they can continue their success.

Wasn’t sure if your sport coat was heavy even though it was madras. Looks like it’s fully lined. Why not winter madras? :)

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This is from today. A mix of old and new clothes, as usual. The old is the jacket, of course. Everything else is new. Including the white bucks. As many of you know, I have tried to combine vintage and new items in such a way as to not seem like a re-enactor or a time machine victim. Have I succeeded?

istyy1.jpg
istyy2.jpg
istyy3.jpg

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Been offline and on the road to Arizona for the last two days. Stayed at the Mission Inn in Riverside CA overnight on Monday.

P1110470 2.JPG

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads