1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

modern tailor - wtf?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LRMD, May 4, 2010.

1. LRMD

LRMD Well-Known Member

Hello, I heard great things about Modern Tailor and I was excited to try out some shirts from them. I paid 25 bucks for the swatch so I could see and feel the fabrics before I measured myself and placed an order. When it arrived, it was in shambles. The binder was broken and the adhesive that once held the back together stuck to everything. The holes were not punched through the fabric but rather along the border, so the cloth was fully loose or held in place by just one corner and in disarray. Some fabrics were filthy or stained. How can I have confidence in their ability to do fine tailoring when they can't put together a swatch for me? Is this just a fluke or what? I was also thinking about ordering a suit from them to wear at my wedding but now I really just don't know. Pictures below: http://www.styleforum.net/attachment...7&d=1272995838 http://www.styleforum.net/attachment...8&d=1272995838 http://www.styleforum.net/attachment...9&d=1272995838 http://www.styleforum.net/attachment...0&d=1272995838 http://www.styleforum.net/attachment...1&d=1272995862 http://www.styleforum.net/attachment...2&d=1272995876
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. upnorth

upnorth Senior member

Charging $25 for that is inexcusable. The holes are improperly punched so I would not say that the courier alone screwed up.

I would not recommend a suit from any online tailor, without first having the option of being measured and at least one fitting in person.

3. musicguy

musicguy Senior member

It shipped from China. I've ordered three times from them and none of the shirts have any problems from shipping.

4. LRMD

LRMD Well-Known Member

I don't think this has to do with shipping. The holes aren't through the fabric. The binder is really flimsy and if it is broken due to shipping, for 25 bucks they should put together a binder of higher quality.

Lots of things come from China that are put together properly and are sturdy enough so that they can withstand the anticipated shipping.

5. acecow

acecow Senior member

Get the orange gingham. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. badsha

badsha Senior member

+1. Tell moderntailor.com im sure they will give you a credit of some sort.

7. brittain

brittain Senior member

+1 for the orange. is that R7?

8. coltboy75

coltboy75 Senior member

Modern Tailor's Swatch Book = Terrible

Indochino Tailor's Kit = Impressive

Modern Tailor's Shirts = Impressive for the price

Indochino's Shirts = Below Average for the price

9. LRMD

LRMD Well-Known Member

Modern Tailor's Swatch Book = Terrible

Indochino Tailor's Kit = Impressive

Modern Tailor's Shirts = Impressive for the price

Indochino's Shirts = Below Average for the price

Good to know...they should really make a decent one because this is a good way to spook customers who haven't bought a shirt yet and won't do it before checking out the swatch.

10. cbs2528

cbs2528 New Member

I ordered the sample book and had similar results (except they failed to send many the samples I requested). I contacted them and they credited me the $25.

I would reach out to the. BTW, i ordered a shirt, was impressed with the turn time an dmaterial...I screwed up the fit trying to guess measurement improvements off a good fitting shirt (went too tight in th echest and too high on the armholes). Will try them again.

11. ThisFlyGuy

ThisFlyGuy Senior member

email them with the pics and i'm sure they'll just credit the $25 to your account...[​IMG]

12. usctrojans31

usctrojans31 Senior member

I just ordered that a few days ago. I e-mailed them asking for it to be part of the weekly sales, and they told me that the sales are predicated by inventory levels. However, they gave me another $20 for my purchase towards the shirt.

I'll post pictures when it arrives.

13. cross22

cross22 Senior member

I was also thinking about ordering a suit from them to wear at my wedding but now I really just don't know.

Don't do that. The first suit is sure to be off, requiring you to take it to a local tailor or them to remake it. Don't mess with your wedding suit especially if you are short on time.

14. deveandepot1

deveandepot1 Senior member

Don't mess with your wedding suit especially if you are short on time.

+1

15. johnny_flapjack

johnny_flapjack Senior member

While I agree that they should put more care into preparing the sample book as it represents their company, you will be wearing the shirt and not the swatches. I would put more weight on the review threads that discuss their actual finished product than the appearance of the sample book.

I ordered two shirts from them with the measurements taken from another MTM shirt. They confirmed the order in two hours, shipped the shirts in 72 hours and they were in my posession nine days after I ordered. The fit was as good as the MTM from which I took the measurements.

16. imwithtuxedo

imwithtuxedo Senior member

While I agree that they should put more care into preparing the sample book as it represents their company, you will be wearing the shirt and not the swatches. I would put more weight on the review threads that discuss their actual finished product than the appearance of the sample book.

+1

17. LRMD

LRMD Well-Known Member

Emailed them at sales@moderntailor.com 3 days ago and heard nothing. What address do you use to contact them?

18. viator

viator Senior member

So does the swatch book contain all of the fabrics available at the time you order the book?

19. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

I ordered two shirts from them with the measurements taken from another MTM shirt. They confirmed the order in two hours, shipped the shirts in 72 hours and they were in my posession nine days after I ordered. The fit was as good as the MTM from which I took the measurements.

Did you adjust your measurements to account for shrinking, or did you use the exact measurements of your MTM shirts?

20. unjung

unjung Senior member

Let me get this straight: you're saying they're tailors, not scrapbookers?