• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

modern tailor - wtf?

LRMD

Reaction score
Hello, I heard great things about Modern Tailor and I was excited to try out some shirts from them. I paid 25 bucks for the swatch so I could see and feel the fabrics before I measured myself and placed an order. When it arrived, it was in shambles. The binder was broken and the adhesive that once held the back together stuck to everything. The holes were not punched through the fabric but rather along the border, so the cloth was fully loose or held in place by just one corner and in disarray. Some fabrics were filthy or stained. How can I have confidence in their ability to do fine tailoring when they can't put together a swatch for me? Is this just a fluke or what? I was also thinking about ordering a suit from them to wear at my wedding but now I really just don't know. Pictures below: http://www.styleforum.net/attachment...7&d=1272995838 http://www.styleforum.net/attachment...8&d=1272995838 http://www.styleforum.net/attachment...9&d=1272995838 http://www.styleforum.net/attachment...0&d=1272995838 http://www.styleforum.net/attachment...1&d=1272995862 http://www.styleforum.net/attachment...2&d=1272995876

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Charging $25 for that is inexcusable. The holes are improperly punched so I would not say that the courier alone screwed up.

I would not recommend a suit from any online tailor, without first having the option of being measured and at least one fitting in person.

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It shipped from China. I've ordered three times from them and none of the shirts have any problems from shipping.

LRMD

Reaction score
I don't think this has to do with shipping. The holes aren't through the fabric. The binder is really flimsy and if it is broken due to shipping, for 25 bucks they should put together a binder of higher quality.

Lots of things come from China that are put together properly and are sturdy enough so that they can withstand the anticipated shipping.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get the orange gingham.
inlove.gif

coltboy75

Reaction score
Modern Tailor's Swatch Book = Terrible

Indochino Tailor's Kit = Impressive

Modern Tailor's Shirts = Impressive for the price

Indochino's Shirts = Below Average for the price

LRMD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by coltboy75
Modern Tailor's Swatch Book = Terrible

Indochino Tailor's Kit = Impressive

Modern Tailor's Shirts = Impressive for the price

Indochino's Shirts = Below Average for the price

Good to know...they should really make a decent one because this is a good way to spook customers who haven't bought a shirt yet and won't do it before checking out the swatch.

cbs2528

Reaction score
I ordered the sample book and had similar results (except they failed to send many the samples I requested). I contacted them and they credited me the $25.

I would reach out to the. BTW, i ordered a shirt, was impressed with the turn time an dmaterial...I screwed up the fit trying to guess measurement improvements off a good fitting shirt (went too tight in th echest and too high on the armholes). Will try them again.

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acecow
Get the orange gingham.
inlove.gif

I just ordered that a few days ago. I e-mailed them asking for it to be part of the weekly sales, and they told me that the sales are predicated by inventory levels. However, they gave me another $20 for my purchase towards the shirt.

I'll post pictures when it arrives.

cross22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LRMD
I was also thinking about ordering a suit from them to wear at my wedding but now I really just don't know.

Don't do that. The first suit is sure to be off, requiring you to take it to a local tailor or them to remake it. Don't mess with your wedding suit especially if you are short on time.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cross22
Don't mess with your wedding suit especially if you are short on time.

+1

johnny_flapjack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While I agree that they should put more care into preparing the sample book as it represents their company, you will be wearing the shirt and not the swatches. I would put more weight on the review threads that discuss their actual finished product than the appearance of the sample book.

I ordered two shirts from them with the measurements taken from another MTM shirt. They confirmed the order in two hours, shipped the shirts in 72 hours and they were in my posession nine days after I ordered. The fit was as good as the MTM from which I took the measurements.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads