• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

minimalist piano

Reaction score
i am looking for some recommendations of minimalist piano music recordings along the lines of erik satie, la monte young, steve reich, brian eno, john cage. synths are permitted.

thank you, gentlefolk, in advance.
plain.gif

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
In a certain mood, I really enjoy Cage's Sonatas and Interludes. I downloaded FLACS so I don't know the exact recording. There's also a really good interview with John Cage in David Sylvester's book Interviews with American Artists that does a really good job contextualizing Cage's music within the 20th century classical music scene and art world in general. See if you library has it. Edit: Nevermind. I found the recording I have.
51HSH6X7ZCL._SL500_AA240_.jpg
http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Piano...0177741&sr=8-1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by StephenHero
In a certain mood, I really enjoy Cage's Sonatas and Interludes. I downloaded FLACS so I don't know the exact recording. There's also a really good interview with John Cage in David Sylvester's book Interviews with American Artists that does a really good job contextualizing Cage's music within the 20th century classical music scene and art world in general. See if you library has it. Edit: Nevermind. I found the recording I have.
51HSH6X7ZCL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

yeah, i've got that. just listened to it today. cage's silence book altered the way i listen to music. has been years since i flipped that open tbh. will take a look at that jawn you mentioned.
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
satie is enjoyable when you are just driving down a long countryside highway or beachside
ha yeah. have you heard that cage/satie disc? i listened to it earlier this morning, too. pretty amazing. you think satie is stripped down, then you then hear cage's dismantling of satie into one-fingered melodic lines. sublime.

stevenvg

Reaction score
I like Wim Mertens and Michael Nyman.

gamelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works Volume II
Stars of the Lid - The Ballasted Orchestra
Azusa Plane - Tycho Magnetic Anomaly And The Full Consciousness Of Hidden Harmony
Kraftwerk - Computer World

-Jeff

Reaction score
^ i love all of those albums

i like SAW vol 1 more than 2.

and that is my favorite SotL album. been listening to that this week, even.

hmmn... this is turning into an ambient thread. not a bad thing.

klf's chill out and space are both amazing ambient albums.
all that early 90s chillout stuff is great; the orb, biosphere, global communication, the irresistable force, yum.

any recommendations on that front are welcome.

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by denimdestroyedmylife
i am looking for some recommendations of minimalist piano music recordings along the lines of erik satie, la monte young, steve reich, brian eno, john cage. synths are permitted.

thank you, gentlefolk, in advance.
plain.gif

Late-period Ligeti is almost minimalist:

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Not quite minimalist- it certainly predates the movement by a few decades- I quite like this little ditty Schoenberg composed in memoriam Mahler.

Reaction score
funny how maximalist and minimalist stuff are indistinguishable at a certain point. i am thinking terry riley or steve reich. or like, sunn o)))...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads