• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mexico City

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
going to mexico city next week for the week. any advice on things to do? never been there except for the airport.

Staying at the St. Regis, which is at the Plaza De La Forma? anything cool to do? up for anything really.

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Xericx
going to mexico city next week for the week. any advice on things to do? never been there except for the airport. Staying at the St. Regis, which is at the Plaza De La Forma? anything cool to do? up for anything really.
how old are you adn what are your interests? for going out the condessa is nice or for eating as well. but i prefer the polanco area or sante fe myself.

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score
La Condesa for food, drinks and sexy fresas. Isla de Munecas because it is almost Halloween and that is one of the creepiest places on earth. Even though I only lived there for about three months, I love the DF and saw a lot of it. If you let me know what you are interested in, I can give you lots of suggestions.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was just there a week or two ago and went to the wholesale vegetable market, it was a blast - fantastic streetfood, and a lot of great stuff cheap.

contessa is great

the anthropological museum is fantastic.

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
is this a scary place to visit or does the drug violence stay out of the mainc city

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Davidko19
is this a scary place to visit or does the drug violence stay out of the mainc city

No and no.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
the only place I'd avoid unless you can pass as a Mexican is Tepito. Pretty sketchy last time I was there, maybe it has changed?

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
the only place I'd avoid unless you can pass as a Mexican is Tepito. Pretty sketchy last time I was there, maybe it has changed?

I doubt it has changed but it is ******* epic if you can find a way in there without getting killed.

Zintintin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Davidko19
The dangerous areas you probably have heard about recently are those near the US border... mainly Western Mexico... areas like Sinaloa and Tijuana/Baja California.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hossoso
I doubt it has changed but it is ******* epic if you can find a way in there without getting killed.

I didn't even go into the belly and I thought that **** was wild. Mostly fake DVD's, hand bags, and jewelry. And crazy people here and there. Others, not so much. Then again, it's probably different at 10 AM than 10 PM.

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
I didn't even go into the belly and I thought that **** was wild. Mostly fake DVD's, hand bags, and jewelry. And crazy people here and there. Others, not so much. Then again, it's probably different at 10 AM than 10 PM.

That's just the feyuca. They have guns, cameras and passports 3/4 of the way down near the Witch Market.

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by scarphe
how old are you adn what are your interests? for going out the condessa is nice or for eating as well. but i prefer the polanco area or sante fe myself.
32. I like exploring cities...is it very "walkable" or is that not advisable? Want to try some local great eats, some simple culture (not TOO big on museums but I'll check them out) and some shopping. I like seeing daily life more than historical artifacts. I'd be interested in some of the development of the mexican culture, like a history museum.

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
nightlife? strip clubs? where are the beautiful (hopefully English speaking) women at?
teacha.gif

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Xericx

I like exploring cities...is it very "walkable" or is that not advisable? Want to try some local great eats, some simple culture (not TOO big on museums but I'll check them out) and some shopping. I like seeing daily life more than historical artifacts. I'd be interested in some of the development of the mexican culture, like a history museum.

Go to the Anthropological Museum, you won't be disappointed. I also liked seeing as much Frida Kahlo stuff as I could. Even Trotsky's house was pretty cool.

Not sure what they are called but their equivalent to pork rinds are fantastic. I can't think of a bad taqueria that I ate at. All the gorditas turned me into a gordito so be warned.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I lived there for a summer in 2003. Center is walkable, yes. Centro Historico, and to Condesa, Roma, etc. To the south, Coyoacan was lovely if heavily touristed. I lived there. Kahlo & Trotsky houses, the Plaza, etc. Slightly to the south of that, the central spaces of the University City are classic midcentury modernism. Subway system is cheap and extensive. Luxury shopping is not a strong point. Wealth is in the northwest quadrant of the city, starting in Polanco and heading into the hills. The international store branches are on Avenida Massaryk, but Mexicans with more money will buy abroad, and you should too. For more detail on local strengths, Monocle magazine (led by Tyler Brule, Wallpaper mag founder) did a Mexico edition last year, online here: http://www.monocle.com/sections/edit...s/Mexico-City/ The leading map publisher is Guia Roji: http://www.guiaroji.com.mx/ Get one, be it little or large.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads