• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

metal detecting as a hobby

frenchy

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
so i recently had the pleasure of going metal detecting for the first time on a trip in europe with a buddy of mine who searches for WW2 stuff. just wondering if anybody has done this or is doing it and whats the coolest thing you have ever found. on the mentioned trip we found a mint condition stainless steel bayonett and some other trinkets.my friend is hardcore and hes found MP-40's (loaded) ,grenades and even dead soldiers (well their bones,belt buckles and buttons) he claims to know where theres a Tiger Panzer as well. anyway,thast europe, im wondering whats the coolest thing you ever found here ANYTHING (north america,or wherever you live). maybe even share a pic to encourage a noob...
smile.gif

Tangfastic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Metal detectorists trash archaeological sites, many even deliberately target them for profit.
If you are thinking about metal detectoring as a hobby join a local club or organisation that acts responsibly. If you go out on your own at least take a map and gps and record the spot you found anything and report it to a local museum / university / government official. Also make sure you are up on local treasure / antiquites laws which vary in different countries, you may be allowed to keep or sell what you find or be prosecuted depending on where you are and what you do.

If your friend has been finding human remains I hope he has been notifying the correct authorities and not just stripping them of all the 'cool stuff'.

SpallaCamiccia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those pr*cks are every morning in front of my house ( I live in front of the sea ) looking for lost gold items or similars. I'll shoot them from my terrace .

frenchy

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tangfastic
Metal detectorists trash archaeological sites, many even deliberately target them for profit. If you are thinking about metal detectoring as a hobby join a local club or organisation that acts responsibly. If you go out on your own at least take a map and gps and record the spot you found anything and report it to a local museum / university / government official. Also make sure you are up on local treasure / antiquites laws which vary in different countries, you may be allowed to keep or sell what you find or be prosecuted depending on where you are and what you do. If your friend has been finding human remains I hope he has been notifying the correct authorities and not just stripping them of all the 'cool stuff'.
yes he notifies the red cross that keeps a list of unknown soldiers,they cross them off the list and return the remains to the families.like i said with human remains all you usually find is buttons and belt buckles someimes the leather soles of the boots.he looks in forests and such (eastern europe) so no its not like they go to historical sites. the club he belongs to,one guy found a disassembled 1938 BMW motorcycle in 2 barrels filled with motoroil to keep it from rusting ,another guy found 11kg of gold (apprx 25 pounds) in an abondend well.(the whole town hid it from the nazis and then got wiped out)

frenchy

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpallaCamiccia
Those pr*cks are every morning in front of my house ( I live in front of the sea ) looking for lost gold items or similars. I'll shoot them from my terrace .

do you own the beach too?

SpallaCamiccia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by frenchy
do you own the beach too?

No, but the lost items got ther owners and should return to lost items office, no to the pocket of one THIEVE . Actually it´s illegal here carry those detectors and steal items.

Luckily , sometimes they get some old war grenades and explode in their faces. The pay for thieves.
worship.gif
worship.gif

SpallaCamiccia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
i never metal detected before, but if you go out at the beach and find a quarter, than youre responsible to turn that into the nearest bank or report it to the police??
eh.gif

Not sure with a coin, but with chains etc , YES. almost here.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If you are >70 this is a cool hobby.

frenchy

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpallaCamiccia
No, but the lost items got ther owners and should return to lost items office, no to the pocket of one THIEVE . Actually it´s illegal here carry those detectors and steal items.

Luckily , sometimes they get some old war grenades and explode in their faces. The pay for thieves.
worship.gif
worship.gif

out of curiousity how did someone of your obvious limited intelligence aquire a beach house.?

SpallaCamiccia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by frenchy
out of curiousity how did someone of your obvious limited intelligence aquire a beach house.?
Because he studied and worked a lot instead of loosing his time looking for the lost treasure ? Or just because he sold his butt very $$$ ? Just asking

Tangfastic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
i never metal detected before, but if you go out at the beach and find a quarter, than youre responsible to turn that into the nearest bank or report it to the police??
eh.gif

I doubt it.. Anything brought in by the sea unless clearly identifiable personal / corporate property is salvage or flotsam and fair game. Depends on what country you are in though. Our treasure trove laws in the UK were pretty complicated - if you could prove something was 'lost' or thrown away it was treated one way, if it had been deliberately hidden or buried it was treated another. I think there might have even been some very old un-repealed and un-enforced laws about anything being washed up on a beach being the personal property of the monarch or something like that. They've been changed recently so that important artefacts aren't lost or sold illegally so readily. You are now obliged to report any metal finds of over 300 years old, but I think there is also some mechanism for a finders fee to be split with the landowner to encourage compliance.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads