• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mental block: Can't pair ties with anything but white shirts..

incastoutcast

Reaction score
I wonder if it could be part of the issue here (stabbing in the dark) that your tie wardrobe may be a bit too dressy. If they're solid, and tight-weave, and especially if they're fairly thick/heavy, I can see how you'd have problems pairing them.

Myself, call me a tradly professor (no really, please?) but I love the OCBD with the right tie - something thin/light, and a little playful.

To reiterate:

Contrast shirts and ties. Ties dark, shirts light. (and if your already-owned colored/patterned shirts are too dark, that could be a problem, too. Go for color, but more subtle, light color)

WAYWT

Lighter, more casual ties.

Oh, and knit ties are a great option, IMO.

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, I've gutted the ties, and started over with only: knits, solids, repp, dots. These seem less formal, in some ways.

Yes, I am a huge fan of the knit tie. It is the perfect middle ground b/c formal and casual. It is exactly there in the continuum I wish to reside. I have 2, but they are a bit skinny, which adds to the casual/hip look. And that sums up my intent. Tie as "Casual hip" vs. "formal corporate" Yes, more knit ties, as per my sig.

The dark shirts issue is dead on. MOST of my checked shirts are dark. That is why the tie seems awful with them. I will revisit lighter checks, and also yellow & pink shirts are next on my list. These will work easier with ties.

Great replies. I can tell you've been here too. Thanks!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads