• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Mid December they say. I will put it up here when it arrives.

Since you are heading into summer, have you ordered any straw. the oxblood is not good for the summer heat

Dandy Wonka

Reaction score
Since you are heading into summer, have you ordered any straw. the oxblood is not good for the summer heat

We are heading into it full force. Yesterday was the hottest November for 75 years - it topped 40C. Luckily I live five minutes walk from the beach.

On summer hats I have a boater.

I also just received these (one in each colour) but have had to return them because they are too small:

http://www.lockhatters.co.uk/San_Remo-details.aspx

My Lock and Borsalino travelling hats aren't too heavy.

Also I had a really good Panama but I got rid of it once I realised that down here they are mostly worn by old men that hang around schools....

Are there straw options besides the Panama you recommend?

Last edited:

ImTheGroom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As I posted before, I picked up this camel coloured Magill fur felt stingy brim fedora at a thrift store.

I've been finding its shape pretty bland on me. The stingy brim isn't ideal, but I've been wanting a brown hat to wear with my tweeds, and such, and I'll take "just okay" for the $10 price tag of this hat. I can't do anything about the brim size, of course, but I am also not crazy about the crown. I've realized that the biggest problem with the crown, on me, is that it is higher in the back, than in the front. So, I now think the best thing is to reshape it back to front. My plan is to try to reshape it with no pinch or divot, and probably do this a few times, to obliterate the old shape, as much as possible, and then reshape it so that what was made as the back of the hat becomes the front of the hat, and vice versa.

I'm not crazy, am I? And, have I got, generally, the right idea, for how to go about this? Absent all of the tools of a hatter, I will do it the same way I reshaped my grey 2" brim high crown fedora, recently, as some of you may remember. @Tibor , any words of advice?

Tried and True

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Milan straws by Optimo are sublime.

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
@ IMG you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. What you are proposing sounds like some noobs who come on this board and buy a poorly fitting jacket from a thrift shop or eBay thinking they've got a huge bargain but even after money spent on alterations it's still not right, but they hang on to it cos it was such a bargain.

That trilby is way below the standard you have set yourself for your other lids (and I'm not gonna get into the other soggy thing you bought with it). I say cut your losses and let it go. Save up for something that is a lot closer to being 'right' from the start.

Tried and True

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That trilby is way below the standard you have set yourself for your other lids (and I'm not gonna get into the other soggy thing you bought with it). I say cut your losses and let it go. Save up for something that is a lot closer to being 'right' from the start.
Gotta agree.

ImTheGroom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

@ IMG you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. What you are proposing sounds like some noobs who come on this board and buy a poorly fitting jacket from a thrift shop or eBay thinking they've got a huge bargain but even after money spent on alterations it's still not right, but they hang on to it cos it was such a bargain.

It's not the quite same, since I'm talking about rotating something that is virtually symmetrical, rather than trying to turn trousers into gloves.

And when did a tweed trilby, to wear in the rain and cold and muck, become the subject of such disdain?

Anyway,

Last edited:

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

On summer hats I have a boater.

Also I had a really good Panama but I got rid of it once I realised that down here they are mostly worn by old men that hang around schools....

Tbh I think you'd look more like a weirdo in a boater than in a Panama hat. Nobody wears the former outside of their Gatsby-themed Xmas party, whereas the latter is ubiquitous here in summer (on men and women), particularly if you live by the beach (well, Bondi at least, maybe not Maroubra...)

ImTheGroom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A marked improvement to be sure but still substandard, IMO.

Yes, I certainly prefer a wider brim, and in due time I'll have a brown and/or green hat. I have not reversed the hat; I could still do that - the back telescopes less. What do you say of the band? Should I change it for a ribbon?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads