• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
vintage Borsalino on ebay. One of the finest hats around (with a price to match)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Borsalino-c...844?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item41726038bc

Note: A hat like that today from Optimo Hat Co. (Chicago) starts @ $595

Last edited:

mhdena

Reaction score

FYI - For those of you who are interested, women very much like seeing men in hats - I've been complimented by women on this fact many times.

I shaved my head Dec, 2011. The 1st thing I noticed was how cold my head got just walking through the house in So Cal.

I discovered the Fedora Lounge and now have several custom fedoras as well as custom Panamas.

And women do notice and compliment always.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I shaved my head Dec, 2011. The 1st thing I noticed was how cold my head got just walking through the house in So Cal.

I discovered the Fedora Lounge and now have several custom fedoras as well as custom Panamas.

And

women do notice and compliment always.

Unhatted and bald can meet at least 30% of heat loss in winter and sunstroke(+ or - heatstroke) in summer.

In the USA and EUR this can be a source of great discomfort.

Down Under in summer unhatted = a source of skin cancer especially in Queensland which has an ultra violet count like 30% more than the rest of the world.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This is true. I suppose I should have rephrased to say those that grew up with or directly knew men (fathers, grandfathers, etc) who routinely wore them. At any rate someone who knows of when they were widespread and culturally ubiquitous. And not someone who just watches a lot of Mad Men.

Hats are still somewhat popular amongst African Americans. My dad wears one occasionally and I do too. My dad is 67 so he came of age after they fell out in the mainstream.

Last edited:

eglbc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Can anyone tell me what style this hat would be called, and where to acquire such styles? ( RTH is where this particular hat is from, but Im looking for other options)
Im looking for a casual, summer/desert friendly hat, any suggestions will be graciously considered.
Thanks!

Last edited:

CesarC

Reaction score
This thread is wonderful! I hope to make some good contributions from my meagre collection. I wonder if one reason why so many young folk do look affected is because they use the hat to make up for deficiencies elsewhere in the outfit, missing all the other details. TTO has just shown how it's done properly, by a guy who's not been around during the heydey of hat-wearing. I myself will admit that any hesitation I have to post fits wearing hats is due to my lack of confidence in the fit of the garments rather than the look or fit of the hat. To that end, here's a pic of a recent vintage store purchase of a deadstock Adam's summer hat. A little large for my small face and frame, but very functional as I walk about campus and around town a bit.

omgitswes

Reaction score
I've been wanting to try out hats for a while now. Not too sure how well they can be pulled off with a casual outfit though. Might buy a panama just to try it out this summer.

What stores are these readily available? Haven't seen hats in stores in a long time and I'd rather try it on in person rather than order one

AdamWill

Reaction score
omgitswes: it kinda depends on where you are. Upscale department stores usually have one or two 'proper' hats. Lower end ones usually only have paper/cloth fashion crap. Dedicated hat shops are the best option; they're usually only present in decent-sized cities these days, though. What's your nearest city?

edit: panama can look fine with a casual outfit, though it depends how casual you're talking. As a rule of thumb, if your shirt has buttons on it - even including polos, at least *nice* polos - you can probably pull off a panama with it. (I wear mine for golfing, with just a pair of golf pants and a golf shirt, all the time). If we're talking 'beach shorts and tank top' casual, it might look a tad incongruous. I have a more rustic-y straw hat I pull out for super-casual outfits - it's a very wide weave made of very rough straw, with no real hatband but a stripe of the straw dyed black in imitation of one.

Last edited:

omgitswes

Reaction score

omgitswes: it kinda depends on where you are. Upscale department stores usually have one or two 'proper' hats. Lower end ones usually only have paper/cloth fashion crap. Dedicated hat shops are the best option; they're usually only present in decent-sized cities these days, though. What's your nearest city?

Birmingham, Nashville, or Atlanta. I'll be in Atlanta this summer so hopefully there are stores there

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads