• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MEGA PEACOAT THREAD - 61 threads merged - all Peacoat questions HERE

Peacoat

Reaction score
Looks like a good fit to me. I am surprised you have enough room for a sweater, having gone down to a size 36. When I drop a size for a tighter fit, I don't have room for a sweater. That may be a "large" size 36.

Your tag should be a U. S. NAVY label, which is my favorite label. Don't you just love that Kersey wool? It is top of the line.

nothing145

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback, and yes, it has the "U.S. Navy 100% Wool" tag.
It is indeed a nice kersey wool!

I also believe it is a "big" 36R.
The seller on ebay measured the p2p of 20 inches on this coat, even though the tag says 36R (which should have a p2p of .19 inches..?)

Will take my own measurement tomorrow and see if that 20 inch pit to pit is correctly measured.

Peacoat

Reaction score
Interestingly, the size 34 and 36 coats have different p2p than we would normally expect. As I remember, the size 34 coats have a p2p of 19", and the size 36 coats are close to 20". I have three size 34 coats, both vintage and current issue, and they are all at 19". Can't remember the exact measurement of the size 36 coats, but I think they are almost 20".

Yes, please post the p2p of your coat when it comes. Try to be accurate to 1/4".

Peacoat

Reaction score

I meant 36R. And it is about 20.50 to 20.75.

Yes, that is actually the p2p of a size 38, and a large 38 at that.

I can't find the measurements I have for the size 34 and 36 peacoats. I remember the size 34 coats have a p2p of 19", which is larger than we would have thought. And I think I remember the size 38 coats had the standard p2p of about 20.25" to 20.50". That would mean the size 36 coats have a p2p of about 19.75". That is what I would expect to see from those three size peacoats.

Maybe someone with a size 36 peacoat and a size 38 can give us an accurate measurement? Please see the link in my signature line below for the proper way to measure the p2p. The instructions are toward the end of the article.

Peacoat

Reaction score
Last edited:

MGCP

Reaction score
Hi, just joined to ask if anyone had noticed the "Billy Reid Bond Peacoat" that has just appeared on Mr Porter- what's going on? The colour and fabric seem wrong, it's apparently 100% wool rather than the 90% of the one on BR's website, the fit is described as regular rather than the tailored fit on BR's website and the proportions just look really off and unflattering.

It's one I had vaguely considered but just looks awful to me.

WestwardDrift

Reaction score
Hi, just joined to ask if anyone had noticed the "Billy Reid Bond Peacoat" that has just appeared on Mr Porter- what's going on? The colour and fabric seem wrong, it's apparently 100% wool rather than the 90% of the one on BR's website, the fit is described as regular rather than the tailored fit on BR's website and the proportions just look really off and unflattering.

It's one I had vaguely considered but just looks awful to me.

The wool does look to me more sweater-like than the versions on the BR site. I've seen Billy Reid experiment with different colors and textures over the years. I remember a tweed production sample of the peacoat. I rather liked it and would have purchased it had it been my size. The wool used for Mr Porter does look to be almost heathered in color, and the fit is more "slouchy." Good eye regarding the dimensions. I've compared the dimensions listed on Mr. Porter and Billy Reid, and the coat on Mr. Porter has narrower shoulders but a much larger chest for a given size. It does look odd because of it. And for only an additional hundred dollars. Definitely a pass.

MGCP

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I queried it and got the following from Mr P:

"First I would like to personally apologize for any misconception of the Billy Reid Bond virgin wool peacoat on our site. The coat is in fact the same coat as seen on the Billy Reid site, however, the styling is quite different.

You should try the coat on in person, thus ensuring you can make the best decision on how you feel about the fit and style of the coat. We do offer hassle free returns and exchanges. Therefore, if you are not happy with the look and cut of the coat, and you decide its too boxy for you you can return it for a refund."

I don't see how it can be the same, definitely a pass. I may see if I can find somewhere to try on a Schott version and see how that looks, would save me some money!

I had another query with Mr P today that I'm waiting to hear back on. An APC sweater they describe as being Irish Donegal, but as far as I can see is described everywhere else as being Italian merino. Hope they are not getting sloppy!

Jmm722

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Billy Reid Bond peacoat I tried on at Bloomingdales was stiff and thick wool, felt like good construction. Problem is that it is tailored crazy slim, I couldn't get my arms or shoulders into the XXL, I wear a 46R suit. It's hard to find a slim fitting peacoat that I can wear with my chest size. The search continues...
confused.gif

kingjaffe

Reaction score
Hey I wanted a pea-coat; so I thought I would give thrifting a try. I found a peacoat for only 10 bucks. Which was a steal. It said "20 R" I didn't know what that meant. But the fit was ok and all I needed to do was take it to the tailor. The only problem was I didn't check the tag inside the inner pockets and it said "woman's". I found out that the difference is the way the women's pea coat opens.

Does it matter that it says woman's? I there a way to fix it like putting the button on the other side?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads