• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MEGA PEACOAT THREAD - 61 threads merged - all Peacoat questions HERE

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I received the Schott peacoat size 42. Its the boxiest thing I have tried so far. Fit is wrong, armholes are too low. Its going back.

I contacted Schott before ordering. I was told the 42 is a 21.5. Good enough I thought, this should be a nice fit. The 740N is actually very big, its boxier than a sterlingwear, it looks inflated.
If you are interested in one, I would size down one. I am tempted to order a size 40 to try on but I don't know anymore.
It is a very warm coat though.

My options are the Club Monaco which was a nice fit when I tried it on and the Jcrew which I haven't tried.

Here's the CM: http://www.clubmonaco.com/102011/mens_musthaves_2.asp

Did you order the slim fit?

Peacoat

Reaction score

Good afternoon SF

I like the look of the Sterlingwear Authentic Pea Coat and many people in this thread have vouched for it's quality.

Can someone knowledgeable help me to choose the right size? I know there is a lot of information in this thread but, having spent a couple of hours reading it, I'm getting a little saturated and confused.

I am 6 foot, dead on.

I'm pretty slim. I wear a 38 inch chest suit though I can fit some 36's (but the arms are usually too short).

Any advice on what chest size and length to get in the Authentic?

If you need any more information from me, just ask!

Thank you in advance to anyone who takes the time to reply.

Best
You first need to read the section on sizing in the Peacoat Dating article. The link is in my signature line below. After you read the sizing section, if you still have questions, I will be glad to answer them. I will need an accurate chest measurement and your actual weight.

Sleeves too long? Please give me some advice
They are a bit long, but I would rather have them too long than too short. It is a simple matter to have then shortened, if that is what you want. I like to have my sleeves come to the base of my thumb where it joins the wrist. Motorcycle jackets should be a little longer.

Last edited:

playhardgopro

Reaction score
Peacoat - that's an excellent article, thank you.

It would, however, still be helpful if someone already had the P2P measurements for the Stearlingwear pea coats.

And any advice on the length of the Stearlingwear pea coat to choose for a 6ft guy.

But this is getting specific, I realise. I suppose it might be best for me to email Stearlingwear directly - I just though that, as that brand seems popular here, someone might already have the lowdown!

L

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought a sterlingwear peacoat 2 years ago and went on the advice to size down to a 34R, that **** was tight like a virgin. I'm going to sell it soon. I've only worn it like 5 times in those 2 years.

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought a sterlingwear peacoat 2 years ago and went on the advice to size down to a 34R, that **** was tight like a virgin. I'm going to sell it soon. I've only worn it like 5 times in those 2 years.

Peacoat

Reaction score

It would, however, still be helpful if someone already had the P2P measurements for the Stearlingwear pea coats.

And any advice on the length of the Stearlingwear pea coat to choose for a 6ft guy.

But this is getting specific, I realise. I suppose it might be best for me to email Stearlingwear directly - I just though that, as that brand seems popular here, someone might already have the lowdown!

L
The Authentic is sized about the same as the issue pea coats, so my sizing section should be dead on. I like my jackets to have enough room inside for a sweater and not be tight, so I go with a size 42--p2p of 22.25. A size 40 is a tighter fit, but still comfortable. A sweater makes it too tight for my tastes. I have a 41.75" chest.

sincere1983

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am new here and desparately looking for a good pea coat. I really like this one of Trovata (its an old one):

As you can see, I want the following:
- High collar, which keeps standing up (like in the picture)
- A bit fitted.

I also like the Krane ayling but have no idea if I can buy it somewhere online in grey (and which will ship to the Netherlands).

Any other suggestions. The Schott etc. which I saw here, are to my opinion, a bit too simple.

roots1976

Reaction score
So how does the 42 actually measure p2p? I am interested in how close Schott measured, or if they just took 1/2 of the stated tag size.

I just got my Schott 740N pea coat in size 42 straight from NYC. Around my chest I measure 43", what means 21.5" p2p. The Schott is 24" p2p. Actually it fits well, arms maybe a tad too long, and if the buttons were placed more towards the outside, the coat would look a bit slimmer than it does now. Yes, it's a boxy and wide look indeed, far away from fitted or something. But I guess that's what a military coat should look like ? I'd like to try a size 40, just for comparison, but I can't find Schott pea coats over here in Germany. So, I'll leave as is and actually I like the look and feel and warmth of my size 42. High quality product for sure.

Peacoat

Reaction score

I just got my Schott 740N pea coat in size 42 straight from NYC. Around my chest I measure 43", what means 21.5" p2p. The Schott is 24" p2p. Actually it fits well, arms maybe a tad too long, and if the buttons were placed more towards the outside, the coat would look a bit slimmer than it does now. Yes, it's a boxy and wide look indeed, far away from fitted or something. But I guess that's what a military coat should look like ? I'd like to try a size 40, just for comparison, but I can't find Schott pea coats over here in Germany. So, I'll leave as is and actually I like the look and feel and warmth of my size 42. High quality product for sure.
With a p2p of 24", it is a true chest size of 46. That's why it is important to get the actual p2p of the coat you intend to buy. Then double that measurement and subtract 2. That will give the true chest size of the peacoat. When speaking of your own chest size, it isn't given in p2p but in the actual chest circumference of 43". With a chest measurement of 43", you will want a peacoat that has a p2p of about 22.25. That will be a true size 42. Peacoats should not be loose and boxy, but should be neatly fitted. While the Schotts evidently are oversized, the Sterlingwear Authentic fits true to size. That is, a size 42 Authentic would fit someone with a 42" chest and have room for a sweater underneath. For a tighter fit, one might consider a size smaller. But then the sleeve length might be a bit short. So, if one should go down a size, it might be best to order a long size.

Peacoat

Reaction score

L
If you tell me your measured chest size and weight, I can help you a bit. The Authentics, from what I have determined, fit pretty much true to size. That is, the p2p for a size 42 peacoat will be about 22.25--.50. So if you want a normal fit with enough room for a sweater underneath, and not a tight fit, go with your measured chest size. If you want a tighter fit, go one size down, but consider a Long as the sleeves will be about 1/2" to 3/4" shorter as you go to the smaller size. Going one size down is too tight with a sweater underneath for me, but not everyone feels that way. If you are an in between size, as determined by your actual measured chest size, go a size down. That is, if you measure 39", go with a size 38 Authentic for a normal fit and a 36L for a tight fit. I'm not sure if all the Sterlingwear models fit true to size, but all indications are that the Authentic does. The Schotts are much larger than the tag size.

roots1976

Reaction score
With a p2p of 24", it is a true chest size of 46. That's why it is important to get the actual p2p of the coat you intend to buy. Then double that measurement and subtract 2. That will give the true chest size of the peacoat. When speaking of your own chest size, it isn't given in p2p but in the actual chest circumference of 43".
With a chest measurement of 43", you will want a peacoat that has a p2p of about 22.25. That will be a true size 42.
Peacoats should not be loose and boxy, but should be neatly fitted. While the Schotts evidently are oversized, the Sterlingwear Authentic fits true to size. That is, a size 42 Authentic would fit someone with a 42" chest and have room for a sweater underneath. For a tighter fit, one might consider a size smaller. But then the sleeve length might be a bit short. So, if one should go down a size, it might be best to order a long size.

Well, I think 42 is the right size the Schott customer service recommended to me. It's not that it is too big, it's just the cut, that is boxy and not tapered. As said, I like the look of my coat, couldn't be happier. With just a t-shirt beneath the Schott pea coat it is very comfortable, fits well in the shoulders and arm pits.It shouldn't be forgotten that this is a 32Oz. pea coat and it has a thick inner lining, which has to be deducted from the 24" p2p, that I measured outside the coat. That way it comes close to perfect fit and I'm glad I have chosen the original, namely the US made classic, heavy 32Oz. melton wool Schott 740N pea coat.

bigDeeOT

Reaction score
Ok I'm thinking about getting a navigator sterlingwear peacoat but my first question is about the price. I've looked around here and on other forums and people consistently mention a price of around $160 max but the prices on the website are $210 for authentic and $265 for the navigator. So how do you account for that difference in price? Did the price go up, am I looking at the wrong thing, or is there another place to buy them?

Last edited:

ahjota

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ok I'm thinking about getting a navigator sterlingwear peacoat but my first question is about the price. I've looked around here and on other forums and people consistently mention a price of around $160 max but the prices on the website are $210 for authentic and $265 for the navigator. So how do you account for that difference in price? Did the price go up, am I looking at the wrong thing, or is there another place to buy them?
Price simply has gone up. I imagine its a combination of greater demand plus rising fabric costs.

bigDeeOT

Reaction score
Ok thx. Also, how do I know if I need short or regular? Is that based on height or length of the arms or what?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads