• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hey guys I was curious to the quality of the suff rapello suede on the classic line. I head this this is split grain suede and not reverse calf suede. 

(Split grain is when hide is cut into thin slices and each is used for suede).
(While reverse calf is where the hide is not cut and the suede you see is just the inside part of the animal.)

I was curious to know how your suede has been holding up. And if anyone know how much nicer the LM/Linea Mastero suede is? (It is listed as reverse calf)

My suede chukkas are holding up fine suede isn't the finest but it's quite nice for price range no complaints from me. Still looks newish at 10 wears or so

Hi Guys, I just recieved a pair of Linea Maestro Black Freudenberg Calf delivered today. The uppers of the shoes were with great detail and fine quality. However, the bottom of the shoe sole I noticed that there is a crack line which seems as if they have not line it together properly. Is this normal or should I send them back to be replaced.

Thanks in advance!

Looks fine and shouldn't be an issue. Pretty much every alden shoe has a bigger gap

leetpuma

Reaction score
Just my experience, but I tend to wear 10.5D everything in AE. I wear a 9.5UK Hiro and Olfe. Hiro is perfect. Olfe is slightly long, but I couldn't go down or they'd be too tight.

Which is exactly what everyone has been saying up to this point. Which makes me pretty confident that 8UK will fit me.

That chart of the sizing of the insoles/last just seemed off. I may be reading it wrong or just something else dumb. It was one of the few things left bothering me so I wanted to see if anyone else knew.

Thanks for the input :)

leetpuma

Reaction score
My suede chukkas are holding up fine suede isn't the finest but it's quite nice for price range no complaints from me. Still looks newish at 10 wears or so
Looks fine and shouldn't be an issue. Pretty much every alden shoe has a bigger gap

Awesome I will have to decide if I want 2 pairs or 1 when shipping time comes by with my MTO :)

Last edited:

leetpuma

Reaction score
Real defects yeah, but as konda pointed out not if they are very minor as some of the issues posted here. You can return the RTW collection for whatever reason, but not MTOs.

This will be the my third pair of Meermin after Terror's Ilcea cap toes and a classic line blue suede wholecuts (I returned a pair of black LM wholecuts as New Rey wasn't pleasurable to my eye or foot). I've been lucky with no QC issues on my pairs and am willing to risk it given the price level and the fact that were just getting an existing model in a different color.

Still waiting for answer from Pepe on the MTO, but it's only been 24h.

Ok cool. I am basically on board for the MTO.

I am pretty sure ill end up being an 8UK in both the Hiro and the Olfe. I think the Hiro is the safer choice of the 2 for me. But since I have an slightly narrow foot so the Olfe may be a better fit for me. I have asked meermin to give me an recommendation.

But with either last it will still be beautiful.

Osiris2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've just concluded no manufacturer is immune to QC issues and its all luck of the draw so theres no point stressing about it...alfred sargements where the soles looked like they'd be shredded, carmina shells over xmas time that have very minor issues...I just decided to keep them rather than dealing with sending back and fourth still wrapped with the purchase...meermin, brown + black captoes no issues.

MSchapiro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've just concluded no manufacturer is immune to QC issues and its all luck of the draw so theres no point stressing about it...alfred sargements where the soles looked like they'd be shredded, carmina shells over xmas time that have very minor issues...I just decided to keep them rather than dealing with sending back and fourth still wrapped with the purchase...meermin, brown + black captoes no issues.

Interestingly I find Carmina shell to always have some minor things. From different parts being a little off tone from each other to bumpiness. Spots in the rain easily too. That said, love my shell Carminas.

DC2see

Reaction score
I got the charts & went by width. My usual 11D US in AE fits perfectly in an 11.5 US (10.5 UK) Hiro. You probably shouldn't go by length since all shoes have extremely variable cap space depending on the last taper.

leetpuma

Reaction score
I got the charts & went by width. My usual 11D US in AE fits perfectly in an 11.5 US (10.5 UK) Hiro. You probably shouldn't go by length since all shoes have extremely variable cap space depending on the last taper.

That actually makes a lot of sense. To size by width before length.

Does anyone have Meermin's physical width's for the Hiro or Olfe lasts? (preferably sizes 7.5 to 8.5. ) <-- By this I mean how wide is the wood at the widest point of the last

Osiris2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just email meermin and ask them for the outter sole measurements of X shoe on the hiro last sizes 7.5 to 8.5 and X shoe on the olfe last 7.5 to 8.5. Luisa will shoot you back the numbers at some point.

DC2see

Reaction score

Returning is probably out of the question, since it will be at least $100 in shipping both ways. 

Last I checked on their terms of exchange before sending mine for replacement, you pay to send back but not for them to send you the replacement. Am I mistaken?

leetpuma

Reaction score
Just email meermin and ask them for the outter sole measurements of X shoe on the hiro last sizes 7.5 to 8.5 and X shoe on the olfe last 7.5 to 8.5. Luisa will shoot you back the numbers at some point.

Awesome I will do that now. Incase someone wanted with google-fu I was able to find:

For the Hiro Last with Widths:
L 298mm shoe sole 8UK.
W 105mm shoe sole 8UK.

L 281mm last 8UK.
W 101mm last 8UK.
Feet 26,3 cm 8UK
--------------------------------------------------
L 301mm shoe sole 8,5UK.
W 108mm shoe sole 8,5UK.

L 285mm last 8,5UK.
W 103mm last 8,5UK.
Feet 26,9 cm 8,5UK

Eddie916

Reaction score
Last I checked on their terms of exchange before sending mine for replacement, you pay to send back but not for them to send you the replacement. Am I mistaken?

Really? I'll email and double check. You already have experience with this?
Edit: just read the conditions closely too, you're right! Thanks for pointing that out.

I ordered a 9.5UK to equate to my 10.5D AE 5 last, but the length seems ever so slightly shorter and I may want to try the 10UK my foot is slightly wide too.

I also ordered a 9UK for my brother's 9.5E foot, and his are slightly too big.

Last edited:

DC2see

Reaction score

I light of me specifically looking at getting an MTO balmoral Boot.
I need help with sizing on the Hiro/Olfe Lasts.

First off is the Hiro/Olfe last an good idea for my foot type?

Just my opinion after ordering both in same size:
Hiro-a more forgiving last in size errors. It has a deep heel cup & high arch support that helps lock your foot in. In cross section, seems to be a rounder, higher last. The lacing could be more snug but my foot is held in by the vamp. My width is a wider D & I sized up a half (US to US).

Olfe-the heel doesn't cup as much and the last cross section seems flatter across the vamp. More tapered & longer, but oddly it seemed wider across the midfoot/arch. That made the sliding across the excess width & heel slippage so pronounced that I had to ship back for exchange. Should've ordered true to size, but still waiting for the replacements.

A (1)MTO (2) boot may not be the best course straight away b/c those two elements are unforgiving in sizing uncertainty.

leetpuma

Reaction score
A (1)MTO (2) boot may not be the best course straight away b/c those two elements are unforgiving in sizing uncertainty.
First of thank you for replying this is immensively helpful when comparing these two lasts.

Ironically I was thinking an boot was an safer option than an shoe since I have had some heel slippage on most dress shoes but that almost always went away when I got to try a boot equvalent of the shoe. (like AE fifth street vs AE fifth ave)

That and its easier to put inserts into an boot over an shoe if you want a bit more snugness.

I might stick to the Hiro in the end. B/c I am almost certain it will fit:
L 298mm shoe sole 8UK. > My foot L 270mm
W 105mm shoe sole 8UK = My foot at 105mm

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads