1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Meermin Mallorca Shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by asturiano, Dec 5, 2011.

1. Maybachh

Maybachh Member

I think Hiro is bit tight, so I would take same size as CJ.

2. cbfn

cbfn Senior member

Agree fully, 9.5 will probably fit quite well.

3. patliean1

patliean1 Senior member

I'm a 10US/9UK and I took a 9.5 on the hiro last.

4. cbfn

cbfn Senior member

My 7UK in 348 fits close to prefect, while my pair of size 7 Hiros are a bit tight and 7.5 Olfes a tiny bit too large.

5. yankeegooner

yankeegooner Well-Known Member

[​IMG] Stopped by Meermin in Madrid while here on vacation. On the right is the 101341 Rapello Verde on the Hiro last UK9.5. Rather than going a full size down from my normal US10 size I only went down a HALF size. Quality is good for a 160 euro shoe before the VAT deduction but it does look like they sanded down the suede a bit too far in some areas of the shoe. I know I'm not the first person to experience this but I just wanted to point that out. For the price and the fact this will be more of a seasonal shoe than all year, I knew I wanted something a little different. Shoe on the left is from Carmina (Marron on Rain last). [/quote
    Ha Patilean, I see you made it. Nice haul!

Last edited: Sep 18, 2014
  6. davesmith

davesmith Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Can anyone explain why this is happening? I got some double monks on the Hiro last, size 11UK but there is some puckering (for lack of a better word) around the ankle.

Thanks.

[​IMG]

7. JARB

JARB Active Member

This is real familiar to me too :( Your feet lacks volume somewhere to fill out the shoe. Low instep, narrow heel, low volume around the lower ankle area or a combination of this. The Hiro has quite normal instep but wide heel area. My feet has low instep and narrow heels.

Hiro works somewhat OK for me as an oxford but as a monk it becomes too loose due to that it could not be laced tight as an oxford. My problems on the monks could be fixed by the cobbler. He put on leather distances in the heel area and if this would not have been enough he suggested that he could put a distances also under the tounge pads, but this was not necessary. The cobbler also told me that a monk shoe is not that suited for people with low insteps at all but works good for people with high insteps.

For me the Olfe last works better than Hiro. Olfe has a more narrow heel area and lower instep than Hiro.

1 person likes this.
  8. eljlakers

eljlakers Senior member

So the more I wear my Meermins vs. my Carminas, the more pronounced the difference in sole hardness. My Carminas keep getting more comfortable with each wear - the Meermibs just seem to stay rock hard. And that's both classic and LM pairs.

9. inimitable

inimitable Senior member

I have exactly the same shoes, same size and I get the same problem. I find the leather has not really softened over time and properly 'broken in'.

10. davesmith

Thanks for such a detailed answer. It seems that the Hiro last just won't work for me as a monk strap, but with laces it will.

Interesting! I have to put a plaster on my foot under where the top cap stitching is or I can't walk for a week after wearing them. They are comfortable though.

11. davesmith

Can you really compare the two? They're totally different price points.

12. eljlakers

eljlakers Senior member

I wouldn't say totally different in terms of the LMs. You can get Carminas pretty easily in the $450 ballpark and the LM line is approaching that. But yes you're right in Carminas vs classic line[​IMG][​IMG].

13. inimitable

inimitable Senior member

Haha exactly the same issue with rubbing underneath the cap toe. I have not ever exerienced this before and I consider myself to have very average feet. Have put it down to them having a lower quality leather that doesn't seem to have softened much over the last 2 years. Probably wouldn't purchase from them again.

14. davesmith

Holy crap! I don't think I've worn mine 10 times.

Do you have any other pairs from Meermin? I'm tempted to get the string loafer (since Carmina do not make an 11UK) but I'm not sure how it would fit.

15. inimitable

inimitable Senior member

Yeah I bought them around the time they first launched. There was a lot of hype about them being comparable to C&J, which they are not, unfortunately. I had a faulty pair (squeaky welt) and had to have them exchanged. Kind of turned me off the brand, plus I wasn't convinced by the level of finishing and styling on some models.

I have the string loafers from Carmina (in a UK11) and they are miles apart in terms of quality. That little bit extra is worth it in my opinion.

16. theinsomniac

theinsomniac Well-Known Member

Have a bit of the same issue here. Find that the bit underneath the toe cap can be a bit scratchy. I was slipping on my loafers one day without socks for fit, and went ouch! on one foot.

As for the string loafers, if the Hiro is a bit loose in the heel for you, I think you might have the same issue in the Ron loafer last of the same size.

17. monkk

monkk Member

18. cbfn

cbfn Senior member

The Holborns are on a wide last while the double monks are on a normal-width last, of course they are smaller. It also takes dozens of wears to mold the shoe to your foot. The toe looks normal; it is a very high-stress point of the last.

19. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Senior member

I agree the classic line shoes don't change much but they do change, was not a comfortable experience wearing classic line for first time but improved after a few wears but still not as broken in and flexible as others. I find all 3 LM have broken in and conformed to my foot a just like carminas, just from holding the LM shoes you can feel the difference in rigidity vs classic line.

20. tomrakewell

tomrakewell Senior member

It is mainly a matter of the last and where the shoe flexes. I have had these same problems with shoes by Edward Green. Unfortunately, not something that is immediately noticeable when trying on the shoes, since it takes some wearing for the flexing to show its effects. Had the same with some C&Js that I ended up having to sell because the problem would persist. I am glad to say that my three pairs of Meermins do not show this problem at all. These are: a calf double monk on New Rey, a museum calf and a suede cap-toe Oxford on Olfe. All my Meermins are LM. Also, I cannot share the concerns about the New Rey being uncomfortable despite my feet not being super slim. Maybe the most important thing I have learnt is that I would now rather buy shoes that fit snugly than being too roomy. The least bit of too wide or roomy will inevitably lead to problems in the medium to long term ... and the leather will usually stretch and soften after a few wears.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2014