• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

cbfn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Niiiiice, stealing that for my next pair.

Last edited:

steffenbp11

Reaction score
"anybody got a pair of these? real life pics?"

@Quadcammer - It look a lot like the pair of oxfords on the Olfe last in Vegano brown i just posted ?

Last edited:

Putonghua73

Reaction score
My Ama wholecuts and Ama single monks arrived today (classic line).

First impressions: I'm not wholly comfortable with the AMA wholecuts because the last is a wider one and makes them look quite bulbous - not too dissimilar to the capital last on the Loake 1880 Aldwych. It could be an optical illusion as well because the colour is black - sadly, the only colour in that style at the moment.

Note: I think it's more that my Charcoal suit needs to be lengthened [trouser]. I'll wear them indoors tomorrow evening (too tired now), with my Nicole Fahri brown wool trousers that have been tailored to just above half the heel and feedback.

I really, really like the single monks, which surprised me. Even though, yet again, only available in black, and on the AMA last, they are much more eloganted and elegant than the wholecuts.

Shoe trees to be shipped separately (no shipping cost) because Meermin were out of stock in the UK10.

Sizing: I've only tried the Rain last on a pair of Carmina wholecuts, and the Ama wholecuts but especially the single monks are a very snug fit (width) in a UK10. In fact, a little too snug. On the whole, they fit, but I'd be worried if a more narrower last was used.

I'll post pictures when I get home.

Last edited:

cbfn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the update! Seems like the Ama is narrower than the Hiro last?

kev777

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks for the update! Seems like the Ama is narrower than the Hiro last?
I dont get that as Meermin say exactly the opposite ???? They run narrow to wide left to right !!

Last edited:

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
so does anybody know if they make different widths on the same last?

Rankiz

Reaction score

Mine was next day although pepe hasn't replied to my emails yet for the past few days so maybe they are busy

What do you think about the suede monks having a full rubber sole??

Last edited:

cbfn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

From what I understand, the Ama last has more room/leather in the toebox, but tapers more severely to the point, meaning that your mileage may vary depending on your foot shape. 

From what I understand the Ama has more room in the instep and wider part of the foot but tapers through the toebox. I've read a lot of people complaining about the the thightness of the toebox from the Ama, but I haven't read anything alike about the Hiro.

Putonghua73

Reaction score

Apologies for the light. Artificial light, taken with a 2004 Casio Exilim (well past it's sell by date - not bad during daylight but night shots are almost impossible to take without blurring).

I'm loading images onto a Men's forum - shoes, not Riko Tachibana! WTH ...

Last edited:

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've just read the first 34 pages. Very intrigued. I was close to buying some Sèptieme Largeur, but I think I'll be better off with these, even the classic line -- I really need to build up my wardrobe, I currently just have one pair of C&J's Edgware. So, what I wanted to ask is whether there will be a sale (and when)?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads