• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jakezero

Reaction score

I agree.  I wear a half-size larger in the New Rey than in the Inca and Rain lasts. 

This is in line with what Pepe told me when we were trying to figure out my size. I take a 9 UK in C&J 341, Septieme Largeur 174 and Barker Black Lavenum (I don't know what they call the last). I scanned a tracing of my feet with outline and inline, with a 20 cm ruler on the side for size reference. With this Pepe recommended me to size up half a size on the New Ray.

While I'm on the subject, I just finished the details of my MTO order with Pepe, I'm just waiting for the invoice. Here are the details:

Collection: MTO
Style: 102374 - Split toe Norwegian derby
Last: New rey
Lasting: Hand lasted
Size: 9.5 UK
Upper Leather: Burgundy Shell Cordovan
Lining Leather: Dark green calf
Sole: Full rubber sole
Edge finishing: Matching with the uppers
Construction: GY·2 - Handwelted goodyear

Since I was going to go with the rubber sole, I made a point out of asking Pepe about where they get them from. This is his response:

Well our rubber soles, have the same design as the Dainite has, but the material is different, our is slightly softer and is more durable.
We have achieved that composite, since we were the shoe supplier for the officers of the British and French armies, whose shoes use an extra high quality rubber, extra durable, but a bit expensive.
With that experience we made a rubber sole with the same design, with a mix between the original rubber and the 'french army' rubber, to get our current rubber sole.

Thought it might be of interest to some.

steffenbp11

Reaction score
Just received my dark brown oxfords on the Olfe last today:

They are pretty much what I expected. First impression: Not quite as good quality as Carmina (leather wise anyway), and the last not as elegant, but a very very decent shoe at a great price. Maybe an eyelet or two too many, but hey...I sized up half a size from 7.5 to an 8 compared to a pair of Carminas on the rain last I bought recently. They were/are still a bit too snug ( but definately wearable). Good idea I think.

LEVOOSH

Reaction score
Stef - are you saying that for the Carmina's you went down a full size but only down a half for the Olfe last?

steffenbp11

Reaction score
@lLevoosh - I went with my regular size in carmina. I should probably have gone up a half. This made me size up in meermin because the two lasts are pretty similar at least according to josé . I think he was right.

Last edited:

LEVOOSH

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply and my fault for not being clear.

Im in North America so my understanding was that I would size down 1 size from my north american size for Meermin. Are you sugesting only a half size down for the Olfe last?

Thanks.

Timmbo

Reaction score
P6230952.jpg

finally got round to collecting these today - unfortunately José was a bit off with his sizing advice and these are a shade too large, I think I'd be better off with a UK9. If any UK buyers are interested in these UK9.5, brand new only tried on once, for retail, let me know.

Last edited:

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I may just pick these up.

$295 is hardly a big deal and they look nice.

I'm just worried about the width.

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ah i have them coming in ben last, not those ridiculously narrow lasts.

shoot an email to pepe & co and they will gladly help you figure out how your feet fit in different lasts.

Last edited:

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
do they have anything aside from the standard "d" width?

Jaggs

Reaction score
If you find the picture somewhere in here that has all the lasts lined up, the RTW lasts are actually listed narrow to wide.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads