• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Medium Length Hairstyle for Professional Dress

CorneliusP

Reaction score
I am looking for examples of medium (perhaps long) length cuts for professional men.

Is there a high quality online source of men's hair style examples? The sites that I have found through google have all been rather lackluster. Perhaps I am not using optimal search terms. "Mens, hair, professional, long, medium" etc find nothing of use. Searches here show a propensity towards short hair, understandably.

I currently have hair to mid-scapulae (middle of upper back) that I wear in a tight pony tail, due to working in the office for 6 months and not needing to impress anyone. I am soon to travel to an out of town site and work for a few months and I would like to impress. I have previously gone to sites and worn a tidy, short pony tail (basically just long enough to bind behind my head). I'm kind of sick of it; I may be sick of long hair in general. I would like to get some ideas before I hit up the stylist though.

Is there even any way for a professional man to wear long hair besides in a pony tail? I am an engineer who works in an industry full to bursting with manly men. I have never seen another long haired dude to set an example for me. Typically the dress at foreign sites is business casual. Some people wear jeans and a t shirt (construction managers even), some wear dress pants and a button down shirt (like myself).

Szeph el raton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd be interested in that too.

I started to grow my hair when I was 13 and always had it shoulder-length since then. I stick to the pony tail 100% of the time because it is the only way it looks professional. Washing every 2nd day and using conditioner and so on is essential so the hair shows that you're taking care of it and not like you're a hippy who found a suit under a bench.

Actually I never had problems with my hair neither when looking for a job. I'm working in IT so perhaps there is an increased acceptance for long haired men I think.

But heck, since 2 years I have the same problem like you. I play with the thought of cutting it, but I'm not willing to have a boring haircut.

I'd most likely gravitate towards this kind of haircut like here on the left (please excuse choosing Michel Friedman as an example, he's a horrible person but I found no one else):
HBcBM1q2_Pxgen_r_467xA.jpg

Perhaps even slightly longer and more curly (well, not like I'd have a choice about that).

I'm really curious what you guys will come up with.

boo

Reaction score
Sorry for the thread crapping, but I believe the reason you can't find anything on professional appearance with long hair is because there's no such thing...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads