• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Medium grey for a first suit?

oroy38

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kuwisdelu
Those rules are ridiculous. You'll hear people say 3-buttons should only be worn by tall people. Then you'll hear people say short people should wear 3-buttons because they make them look taller.

It's all silly and depends on your own body shape and the cut of the suit. Obviously, you can't really try on TaT suit beforehand, but you can go to a local department store and try some one and see how you look. TaT likes to consult with you as well, so send them a picture or two of your physique and ask their opinion whether a 3-button would look good on you vs. a 2-button.

It really just boils down to preference. And 2 vs 3 buttons is really moot if you take into account 3 button jackets that have an adequate roll to the 2. It really just comes down to what you like better.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MatthewN
So I just read something indicating that 3 button suits should be worn by men over 6 feet tall, and the rest of us should stick to 2 buttons. Is that true? I'm 5'10.5". Will 3 buttons somehow make me look short?

Best of both worlds: Get a 3 roll 2.
teacha.gif

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Try some RTW 3 button and 2 buttons then make your decision. I tried a bunch of 3 buttons (true 3, 3 to 2.5), and non of them worked for me (Zegna/Corneliani/Canali/Isaia/Borrelli/Kiton), also one of my first "nicer" suit was a 3 button, and that just never looked as good as rest of my other 2 button suit. So I always stick with 2 buttons now.

P.S. 3 roll to 2 does work, but to me 3 rolls to 2 seems... reduntant, might as well just get 2, that's just my personal opinion though, lots of people here will sure to disagree with that statement

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
By the way medium grey is a good color, still quite versatile (though if you ask me not quite as versatile as charocal or navy, it's always easier to work with heavier color than lighter ones).

MatthewN

Reaction score
FYI, I took the plunge and ordered a 3-button suit much like the one pictured. The photo is of a suit in TAT's "standard" medium grey wool. I went with the "upgraded" medium grey wool, which is better quality, a bit more lightweight, and a slightly lighter colour. Aside from a few details, my order is otherwise the same as the photo. I'll be sure to post pictures when it arrives.
smile.gif

Thanks for all the advice everyone!

jcriswel

Reaction score
Yes, I agree a medium gray or even a dove gray is a good choice for a first "go to" suit. To hell with the charcoal gray bigots. Medium or dove is perfectly fine as a first suit. I think medium or dove is even better than the charcoal. With the change in styles where wearing a suit at all is unusual, you will look great in something else besides boring old solid charcoal.

jcriswel

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here are two gray suits from recent Satorialist posts.

I like them both even though I'm not a big gray suit guy. The lighter gray, IMO, looks new and fresh and it's trim cut ads to it's appeal as being fashionable. If you want to be fashionable, I would recommend this.

On the other hand, the charcoal is classic and stylish and would seem to have long-term versatility for work and social functions. I would suggest this if you need to be conservative or traditional in certain situations.

As far as 3 or 2 button, it is personal preference and your build. I have a long torso and feel a 3 or 3-2 looks better on me.

8219BCgreysuitWeb.jpg

8249PittiGreyWeb.jpg

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My first suit is a light-medium gray with a similar cut to your pic, here's the pics below. The thing I don't like about it is that the light gray shows wrinkles and faults in the fitting that i think a darker suit wouldn't show. Mine's intended to just have one button fastened, but I did two below since I think it looks better.
suitcut-1.jpg

Drydis Greis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jcriswel
Yes, I agree a medium gray or even a dove gray is a good choice for a first "go to" suit. To hell with the charcoal gray bigots. Medium or dove is perfectly fine as a first suit. I think medium or dove is even better than the charcoal. With the change in styles where wearing a suit at all is unusual, you will look great in something else besides boring old solid charcoal.

jcriswel

+1. Medium grey 3 roll 2 is my next MTM suit. Go for it!

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Medium grey is fine - though it has to be said that charcoal and navy or midnight blue would be equally so.

If you must go to Thick as Thieves (Tat by name and tat by....) then at least get a suit that fits. That jacket in the photographs is appallingly too small and thus tight.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Svenn
My first suit is a light-medium gray with a similar cut to your pic, here's the pics below. The thing I don't like about
it is that the light gray shows wrinkles and faults in the fitting that i think a darker suit wouldn't show.
Mine's intended to just have one button fastened, but I did two below since I think it looks better.

suitcut-1.jpg

very English looking, who made this?

Doc4

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MatthewN
FYI, I took the plunge and ordered a 3-button suit much like the one pictured. The photo is of a suit in TAT's "standard" medium grey wool. I went with the "upgraded" medium grey wool, which is better quality, a bit more lightweight, and a slightly lighter colour. Aside from a few details, my order is otherwise the same as the photo. I'll be sure to post pictures when it arrives.
smile.gif

Thanks for all the advice everyone!

Good choice.
bigstar[1].gif

You now have a suit that will let you survive a hot july outdoor wedding & reception, while still fitting with more responsible suit occasions.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads