• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MBA in Boston

slappy

Reaction score
First of all, for an MBA US News is not the most prestigious ranking to go by. There are better rankings put out by business magazines and a worldwide one that is better. Similar to how US News is the best engineering ranking in the US, but their worldwide one is a joke put out by a group in London that 'heavily' favors UK schools. The proper engineering worldwide rankings are put out by the Chinese and are considered the most prestigious.

With that said Harvard is the best school in Boston, with MIT a second. MIT is actually a more respected program if you are going into some kind of tech. They have much more of a math focus and I personally think it should be ranked higher than Harvard, though except for physics and math Im generally unimpressed with Harvard as a school.

Id personally go to Stanford over any other school in the country, Wharton is good and underrated in US News for some reason, Columbia is also arguably better than Harvard and underrated in US News.

I looked into this last year as I considered going to business school instead of applying to PhD programs. Im awaiting my PhD decisions, but from the research I did into business schools I would personally choose MIT over Harvard, and Stanford over all.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Do you really get to make that choice?

I would imagine that if you are on this forum asking about an MBA in boston as an out of towner...you are not in the position of having any say in the matter. To go to HBS or Sloan, you have to actually be able to get in which most people can't do.

This guy is probably looking at a lower tier...at which point I question the value

dunkin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pebblegrain
good story but is it typical?

thats what you never know about the lower tier schools.

there is always some story about "yeah this guy I know went to BC and he got his dream ibanking job", what about the 40 other sad saps in his class who didn't get **** and went back to their same pre-mba jobs with a $5k raise.

I think its pretty typical. Many of my b-school classmates have improved their careers / jobs since graduating. While I believe having an post grad degree / MBA has helped, most people (especially people already in the workforce) who are motivated enough to go back to school are probably going to be pretty motivated to get a better job and use that degree (or at least have it help them) that they have worked for. So in the end, I think its a combination of things, not just, I went to such and such grad school, give me a high paying job (unless of course you have connections like that, which some undoubtly do). While those top-tier schools may better prepare you in some aspects, it can only do so much.

leftover_salmon

Reaction score
Nobody has mentioned that if you go to HBS, your classmates will (quite literally) be future industry and/or world leaders. At VERY few other business schools will this be the case.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads