• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Matching color of  braces

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do not know how wear properly braces in fact...

Your opinion?

TomW

Reaction score
Braces should coordinate with your entire outfit for the day. Exact matching is not required, but clashing is to be avoided.

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Braces should coordinate with your entire outfit for the day. Exact matching is not required, but clashing is to be avoided.
And what about striped braces?

Ok with striped tie or too much stripes?

Carlo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ernest - I'd avoid stripes with stripes if they are at all similar in direction or width. Personally, I go with fairly muted braces - dark, rich paisleys that pull out one or more colors from elsewhere in the outfit but not carefully 'matched'.

...now if you wore braces, tie and pocket square all of the same silk as I have seen some do then I am pretty sure you have done too much of a good thing.

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ernest - I'd avoid stripes with stripes if they are at all similar in direction or width.  Personally, I go with fairly muted braces - dark, rich paisleys that pull out one or more colors from elsewhere in the outfit but not carefully 'matched'.

...now if you wore braces, tie and pocket square all of the same silk as I have seen some do then I am pretty sure you have done too much of a good thing.
I never wear square

I guess stripes suits (that implies plain shirt ans tie for me) can be fine with striped braces.

But as you do not show your braces in theory, stripes tie could be ok with stripes braces. Isn't it ?

Carlo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Striped tie and striped braces would seem a little too much I think - I can envision pulling it off but why push it? Seems like it would be far too easy to wind up with too many stripes (just one opinion).

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Striped tie and striped braces would seem a little too much I think - I can envision pulling it off but why push it?  Seems like it would be far too easy to wind up with too many stripes (just one opinion).
When I said striped, it can be bi-color braces.

So if I wear striped braces I must wear erything else plain?

Will

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I wear only solid color braces except with evening clothes. I've a couple black and white evening braces but the rest of the outfit can support that complexity.

I try not to match, not complement. Am currently wearing wine colored braces with a navy suit, white shirt, white pocket square and grey and black shepard's check necktie.

Will

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear only solid color braces except with evening clothes. I've a couple black and white evening braces but the rest of the outfit can support that complexity.

I try not to match, not complement. Am currently wearing wine colored braces with a navy suit, white shirt, white pocket square and grey and black shepard's check necktie.

Will
Nice, I have also burgundy plain brace

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(Will @ 19 Nov. 2004, 02:11) I wear only solid color braces except with evening clothes. I've a couple black and white evening braces but the rest of the outfit can support that complexity. I try not to match, not complement. Am currently wearing wine colored braces with a navy suit, white shirt, white pocket square and grey and black shepard's check necktie. Will
Nice, I have also burgundy plain brace
I don't color matters as braces should never be seen.

johnw86

Reaction score
I think it's a good idea to coordinate the colors so they don't clash with the other items you're wearing. And sometimes other people will see your braces (wife? girlfriend?).

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
every now and then somebody will see your braces, when you move in such a way as your jacket flaps, getting into a cab, if you take your coat off for something.

I really don't like the look of either matching or contrasting braces. I have maybe a half dozen pair maybe a few more. Several are trafalgars with designs, one is red with pirate skull and crossbones on it, several are simple blue, burgandy, black, etc. I don't think that it detracts at all from what you are wearing if somebody sees your suit slide open and you have white and red braces on under.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads