• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Martin Luther King Jr. Holiday

Mr T

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
Have a happy holiday weekend. Who has this monday off? I do. Im going to see my mom.
cheers.gif

Wow, me too. See you there.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Grayland
I was born and raised in southeastern Virginia and today is Lee-Jackson Day; a state holiday celebrating Robert E. Lee and Stonewall Jackson. Virginia state workers get a 4 day weekend out of the deal with the MLK holiday on Monday.

I now live in upstate NY, and I think it's more racist up north than in the south (at least for my generation). I went to school and played sports with an almost equal number of blacks. Up here, everyone moves to the "good school districts" and then goes about making sure the schools talk about cultural diversity. Hell, we lived cultural diversity. MLK was an amazing man.

I love me some fried chicken too.

Schools in ****** school districts are really bad. If you have the means to, why wouldn't you put your child in a better (if homogenous) district?

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JustinW
+ 1.

My right-wing racist (Republican Baptist) relative is disgusted that we have a national holiday for MLK.
confused.gif

But don't forget that in 8 states it is also Confederate Memorial Day or RE Lee's Birthday.

Hey Javyn, I thought I had you on ignore! Wow.
laugh.gif

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jodum5
Schools in ****** school districts are really bad. If you have the means to, why wouldn't you put your child in a better (if homogenous) district?

I do. I just find it ironic that as a male Southerner, it is simply assumed that I'm a racist; yet, can you get any more racist than moving to another neighborhood just to get away from "those people"?

As I mentioned, I went to school and played sports with an equal number of blacks. Now, my old neighborhood is pretty rough and I wouldn't want to raise my kids there.

My point is, I probably am racist in some ways, but no more so than the well-to-do suburbanites up north where I live now.

rjakapeanut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To all you chicken/watermelon jokers, I think Chappelle said it best:

"Just because I eat chicken and watermelon they think that something is wrong with me. Let me tell you something if you don't like chicken and watermelon there is something wrong with you, motherfucker. There's something wrong with you. Where are all these people that don't like chicken and watermelon?"

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
Around Christmas, my mom and I were discussing the Five Greatest Americans of all time after finding an old magazine on the topic and she looked at me like I was a communist for saying MLK was certainly one of them. I had Washington, Franklin, Jefferson, Lincoln and MLK in that order. I think she had the the last five Republican presidents she could remember, but there is certainly an apathy in too many conservatives towards MLK because of any perceived association with his "followers" and their political disposition.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
no i think it goes to the fact that i am the only white asshole behind 50 black people every time i go to kfc.

Originally Posted by MrG
I'm white as snow, and fried chicken is one of my favorite foods. However, I have trouble believing there were no racial undertones in the posts I found objectionable.

As far as I know the "black people love fried chicken" stereotype goes back to the fact that slaves were allowed to keep chickens. Frying was a popular method of preparation, thus leading to an association that has stuck.

I am a little suspicious of this "fantastic" Midwestern fried chicken, though, so maybe I'm a geographist.
laugh.gif

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's a holiday at my company, but I am coming into work to take care of some things. Am I racist?
confused.gif

Jekyll

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Grayland
I do. I just find it ironic that as a male Southerner, it is simply assumed that I'm a racist; yet, can you get any more racist than moving to another neighborhood just to get away from "those people"?

As I mentioned, I went to school and played sports with an equal number of blacks. Now, my old neighborhood is pretty rough and I wouldn't want to raise my kids there.

My point is, I probably am racist in some ways, but no more so than the well-to-do suburbanites up north where I live now.

Randy Newman wrote a song about this...

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads