• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

married posters...

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EL72
I've never heard of such a thing. Why would you need counselling before getting married?
Do you read any of the threads here about women and marriage?

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
licensetowed.jpg

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Yes, we met with the pastor a few times briefly, and then spent a few Saturdays with our sponsor couple discussing the give-and-take of marriage. It was reassuring to know that other couples have trouble and strife under the placid surface, and thank God they had places for us to duck when they started flinging plates and saucers at each other.

marin

Reaction score
Also did the weekend Catholic program. My wife and I share a similar perspective on most things so while we didn't learn anything new, it was a good opportunity to talk about issues that most couples will face at one point or another. Since we had a positive experience, we recommended it a couple of times to other couples.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dah328
Do you read any of the threads here about women and marriage?

Not sure if that's a joke but bo you really think a few hours of listening to someone's religious views on marriage will help the clueless who post in those threads?

Now that I think about it, there was a Rabbi I spoke to prior to getting to married who suggested my wife attend a class in order to learn the Jewish laws of family purity.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Not sure if that's a joke but bo you really think a few hours of listening to someone's religious views on marriage will help the clueless who post in those threads?

Now that I think about it, there was a Rabbi I spoke to prior to getting to married who suggested my wife attend a class in order to learn the Jewish laws of family purity.

Did you tell him to **** off?

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
Did you tell him to **** off?

Not in those words, no, especially since he had helped me with something else.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It surely couldn't hurt.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Not in those words, no, especially since he had helped me with something else.

I was being deliberately inflammatory, I mean did she take the classes? No point in pissing of you Rabi before getting married and it's his job to ensure some sort of religious awereness anyway.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
I was being deliberately inflammatory, I mean did she take the classes? No point in pissing of you Rabi before getting married and it's his job to ensure some sort of religious awereness anyway.

No, she didn't take the classes. I don't remember if I even suggested it to her since neither of us had any desire to follow those laws. I don't think it's mandatory for couples anyway and that Rabbi was not the one who married us. The guy who married us has known me since grade school and didn't suggest it.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yep. It was a church requirement. Could have been with any approved provider, but we chose to do 2 sessions with our priest - one of which we did down at the local pub.

In Texas, if you do an approved pre-marital counseling course they will waive or deep discount your license fee, too.

Doing some sort of 'refresher' each year sounds like a good idea.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JustinW
Doing some sort of 'refresher' each year sounds like a good idea.

This is a marvelous idea. Getting married is too easy; staying married is very hard work. These pre-marriage counseling sessions are usually all about communication. Keeping utterly open communication in full function is key to a healthy marriage.

(Disclaimer: this is from a divorced man.)

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Had a brief talk with minister who was performing the service. It seemed like kind of a pro forma thing. He seemed like a very sweet, pleasant old fellow. I think my wife's parents located him. He was a Lutheran, which is kind of curious since neither my wife, her parents nor I were Lutherans.

I was married by clergymen of different denominations for all three of my weddings. My first wedding was performed by a Presbyterian minister, the second by a Traditional Anglican priest.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads