1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Mario Talarico Umbrellas

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by itsstillmatt, Jun 8, 2007.

1. tiger02

tiger02 Senior member

Now I'm confused - I thought that the girl was in NY and you are in Budapest?
    Please ignore me, nothing to see here.

2. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Senior member

3. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Senior member

Does anyone have his current e-mail address.

I tried info@mariotalarico.com earlier today but it bounced back. Maybe the server rejected my pidgin Italian as a matter of principle...

4. nioh

nioh Senior member

I tried info@mariotalarico.com earlier today but it bounced back. Maybe the server rejected my pidgin Italian as a matter of principle...

The correct address is info@mariotalarico.it

5. stickonatree

stickonatree Senior member

6. A Harris

A Harris Senior member Dubiously Honored

Missed this thread the first time around.

I found the Talarico site 5 or so years ago, but never managed to figure out how to get an order in. The shipping was the hang-up then, there was something about only using mailboxes etc. service (didn't know they had those in Italy...) and it was like $100. Of course that was back when the Euro was at about 95 cents, so I'm sure the prices are not quite as attractive these days.

7. Tomasso

Tomasso Senior member

I picked one up at Stefano Ricci several years ago. I believe Bijan carried them as well.

8. Gruto

Gruto Senior member

My James Smith & Sons umbrella has a similar virtually seamless join.

I agree, it looks VERY similar to the James Smith & Sons construction.

9. Soph

Soph Senior member

10. Zegnamtl

Zegnamtl Senior member

I believe they did at one time use .com, but have now moved, as others have mentioned to .it

Judging from the site that now resides at the dot com, I wonder if MT let the url registration slip and someone else grabbed it up.

11. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

Nice color selection, I'd particularly like one with a Navy top. Black seems so obviously passe.

http://www.james-smith.co.uk/acatalo..._Editions.html

Soph, with your recent focus on classic style and tasteful restraint, I'm a bit surprised to hear this from you. Not that navy is outrageous, but black as passe?

12. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

Soph, with your recent focus on classic style and tasteful restraint, I'm a bit surprised to hear this from you. Not that navy is outrageous, but black as passe?
    I am also one for non-black. A few years ago I saw a wonderful photograph of a Tokyo street scene during a rainstorm. The shot was taken from above, and all you saw were colored umbrellas which made a gray rainstorm look like a much happier day. I have a black one, but since then have taken to using my blue and green umbrellas.

13. pejsek

pejsek Senior member

And by some stroke of fortune it's raining this morning here in San Francisco...
    I expect to see lots of twisted black nylon compacts.

14. jamestedmondson

jamestedmondson New Member

I understand that these umbrellas are very wel made, but they lack a certain feature that is imperative to modern umbrella design, which is of course the vented canopy. This umbrella features the special canopy, and is extremely durable thanks to the steel shaft and fiberglass ribs. It's not designer, but it is surely a quality product. [​IMG]
    http://www.hypefly.com/shedrain-windpro-umbrella/

15. RJman

RJman Senior member Dubiously Honored

It's not designer
    Neither are the umbrellas being discussed here. These are umbrellas made in beautiful, traditional materials, and generally they're strong as hell.

That said, does anyone have experience with vented umbrellas?

16. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Senior member

I realize that black is the classic color but I just can't help but feel a perhaps childish need to get something just slightly off. Right now I'm leaning towards grey but could wind up going with a navy blue or dark green or burgundy.

In a city where even the better dressed generally carry golf umbrellas, I don't think anyone would notice and in the rain they probably have better things to care about right then - like dodging the occasional puddle tsunami unleashed but a disgruntled cab drivers.

17. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

I realize that black is the classic color but I just can't help but feel a perhaps childish need to get something just slightly off. Right now I'm leaning towards grey but could wind up going with a navy blue or dark green or burgundy.

In a city where even the better dressed generally carry golf umbrellas, I don't think anyone would notice and in the rain they probably have better things to care about right then - like dodging the occasional puddle tsunami unleashed but a disgruntled cab drivers.

I agree that no one will notice, and can certainly understand where you're coming from. All your possibilities seem quite reasonable. But I do like how a black umbrella says "all business." Very elegant, in my mind.

That said, I've been tempted by charcoal, and am doing my best not to look into the discounted charcoal Brigg that was mentioned over at AA.

18. orlandoblum

orlandoblum New Member

19. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I'd say my most influential umbrella moment was the beginning of "The Night Porter," with Dirk Bogarde walking to work in a fitted overcoat with a nice umbrella and leather-soled shoes.

20. T4phage

T4phage Senior member

A small selection of premade umbrellas:

[​IMG]

Details:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Horn tip:
    [​IMG]

My umbrella made with 'congo' wood.. I have no clue what that is!
    [​IMG]