• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Maomao x Gaz Italian Sartorial Adventure 2012

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score

"Can you tell me who is your tailor?"
"It depends. I can't discuss that at this time."
"Depends on what?"
"I can't discuss that at this time."
"Well I want this jacket in this color by this tailor."
"I have to check with Naples. In the meantime, can I interest you in these other tailors we have here?"

Is the desired jacket colour "70s wash"?

let's go down the rabbit hole

AndrewRogers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for posting this, Gaz. Let's all question less and appreciate more. Keep it up! Grazie. Dov'è il bagno?

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

I understand your point and I am well aware of the fact that unfortunately there aren’t nearly as many active members who are "capable of sharing interesting content about classic style" I wish this wasn’t case, because I once found SF to be a much more interesting and engaging place.
I misspoke when I said “keep it all to himself.” I just find it frustrating sometimes when I see these posts of beautifully made bespoke clothing from tailors that I would be very interested in trying yet cannot because they are not named. I understand and respect it if a tailor specifically ask his clients not to share his name, but I have seen situations in the past when this reason is not mentioned. I for one have the means and the genuine interest to try these tailors and I would only ask questions about them with the genuine intent of using their services. At the same time I am very thankful to those who have posted or shared with me the tailors and artisans that they have used.
-LR

It's nice to see that you have moderated your tone considerably.

The "absurd consequences" that Mr. Corbera refers to are, unfortunately, all too real. And the reasons that have been provided should be enough to satisfy you. I can assure you that I have found many posters on here who are willing to share information, even information that is not provided as openly on the forum, if you get to know them a little bit. But publicly crowing about your tailor to a large and anonymous audience, one that has proven in the past that it can't handle good information responsibly, is not a very good idea.

I have gotten to know several SF members personally and found them to be more than open and willing to share their experiences, and their expertise. The OP of this thread included. But they're not just going to openly put it on the forum, particularly when they are insulted for not doing so.

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Man, I missed this thread... Awesome stuff. Supremely impressed by the 4 simultaneous commissions from Rubinacci and how they worked so quickly. Cheers and happy bespoking.

gazman70k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

is this from teh Frontier bunch?

Si.

It was cold.

Wished you post again. :)

interesting pov. do not share...

OMG! We agreed on something!!!

Thanks for posting this, Gaz. Let's all question less and appreciate more. Keep it up! Grazie. Dov'è il bagno?

Andate a sinistra, a destra, dritto e giù per le scale. L'uomo indossa una corta giacca di tweed vi aiuterà.

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't believed there is no picture update of the finished garments......

Gruto

Reaction score

Its not just about the weight and fresco's intended use as a summer cloth. The surface texture of fresco is, I think, at odds with the formality of a vest.

Sorry to bump in, but the idea that fresco is a rather informal cloth and for summer, seems a little narrow from a historical point of view. David Graham of Smith Woollens once told me that their fresco (Finimeresco) was quite popular for dinner dress and balls in the 1950s and 60s because of breathability and flexibility when dancing.

Last edited:

gazman70k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great to see some interesting views on the casualness of fresco and the whole secret tailor nonsense. If you dislike the secret tailor issue, sorry to disappoint as I am about to introduce another.

Day 2, Florence

standard.jpg

Colourful old buildings...

standard.jpg

... steeped in history and ...

standard.jpg

...public nudity.

Pity that during our visit, the weather was terrible. It drizzled when we arrived from Rome and we managed to catch a break in the rain as we made our way to the Panerai boutique. While we were there, it began to pour.​

standard.jpg

ALL PHOTOS ABOVE ARE FROM PREVIOUS TRIPS TO FLORENCE​

Patrizia, the Panerai boutique manager, was kind enough to have bought us a couple of rain coats from street vendors, and we made our way to see Antonio and Taka over at Liverano. Maomao was there for one, or was it two fittings. I forget and besides I had completed my initial order from Liverano. I won't add to the already plentiful photos of the Liverano & Liverano atelier. Instead, here's a few of my previous items which I received via the Armoury.​

medium800.jpg
medium800.jpg

These are autumn / winter wear. Photos courtesy of Ethan @ the Armoury.​

After the fittings, we did a little shopping and then it was time for lunch with Antonio and Taka. No photos because we were talking secret men's business.

After lunch, we visited Fukaya-san of il micio.

standard.jpg

medium800.jpg

Camel skin derby... perhaps the next order.

medium800.jpg

A whole cut that is a little too funky.

standard.jpg

We also met our secret tailor there...

medium800.jpg
medium800.jpg

...who made this particular solaro suit for Fukaya-san.

standard.jpg

medium800.jpg

We headed back to his atelier where he had recently moved his operations to a three bedroom apartment. Business has been good for him. Previously, he worked out of his small one bedroom apartment. Believe it or not, this is a one-person operation.

medium800.jpg

A charcoal sharksin suit, which I orginally ordered in late 2010. This was my third fitting. I am expecting delivery in late August.

medium800.jpg

Holland and Sherry Gamekeeper Tweed. Also ordered in late 2010.

medium800.jpg

Holland and Sherry something or rather, summer weight. Apparently its vintage. This one will hopefully be ready in November. My seasonal cylce is out of whack!

medium800.jpg

A better representation of the colour and subtle patterns.

It took little convincing for Maomao to give this secret tailor a try.

standard.jpg

And according to the sartorial wisdom of Mao, the first order of any new bespoke tailor should consist of a single breasted jacket and a double breasted jacket of which either has a pair of matching paints. This allows the tailor to have a base pattern for all your future orders. Makes sense if you can afford it.

Next, day 3, eating in Rome.

PS can't complaint that the Euro is tanking for the greater sartorial good.

Last edited:

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I visited Fukaya when I was in Florence a couple of years ago. Really beautiful shoes, but the logistics of a bespoke shoe order in Florence were not there for me. Same for a fantastic new shoemaker I saw in Rome this summer, right next to Marini, which I would also have loved to try.
I wonder if your Florentine MBT is the same as mine. I got my recommendation from my wife's dressmaker there. I never tried him, though. Like with Fukata, I wasn't spending enough time in Florence to have a suit made (unlike my wife who was willing to make day trips from Rome).

Last edited:

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I visited Fukaya when I was in Florence a couple of years ago. Really beautiful shoes, but the logistics of a bespoke shoe order in Florence were not there for me.
Same for a fantastic new shoemaker I saw in Rome this summer, right next to Marini, which I would also have loved to try.
I wonder if your Florentine MBT is the same as mine. I got my recommendation from my wife's dressmaker there. I never tried him, though. Like with Fukata, I wasn't spending enough time in Florence to have a suit made (unlike my wife who was willing to make day trips from Rome)

you should be more adventurous... :)

emptym

Reaction score
Thank you for this, Gaz. I don't know why some feel entitled to more information, when everything shared is an unmerited gift. But I'm glad you haven't let them discourage you from posting.
I visited Fukaya when I was in Florence a couple of years ago. Really beautiful shoes, but the logistics of a bespoke shoe order in Florence were not there for me. Same for a fantastic new shoemaker I saw in Rome this summer, right next to Marini, which I would also have loved to try.
I wonder if your Florentine MBT is the same as mine. I got my recommendation from my wife's dressmaker there. I never tried him, though. Like with Fukata, I wasn't spending enough time in Florence to have a suit made (unlike my wife who was willing to make day trips from Rome).

+1 Cousins and their friends offered to introduce me to craftsmen, but I didn't think there was enough time. Took some pics of Bremer's, Ugolini's and Fukata's shops and posted them in Whnay's helpful thread, Florence Shop List.

Last edited:

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Very nice. The H&S Gamekeeper looks exactly like a Robert Noble tweed I have.

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bloody hell

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads