• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Manufacturers that hand-welt rubber soles

SirWilliam

Reaction score
I have received some confusing information about hand-welted rubber sole shoes and I wanted to see if I could get a better understanding from the forum.

I have spoken directly with Vass, Zonkey Boot, and Ed Et AL and they say they hand welt rubber soles to their shoes. Ed Et Al even does them with fiddleback waists. However I spoke with a craftsman at John Lobb (Jame's Street) and they tell me that they use a Goodyear welt for their rubber soled shoes as it works better. I have also read on the forum that Vass uses a Goodyear welt for their rubber sole shoes as well.

Can someone shed some light on if and why rubber soles are difficult to hand-welt? Can it be done well (from the shoes I have seen from Ed Et Al seems possible)?

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
There are two steps in the bottom work of a shoe: applying the welt and applying the sole. These two steps are independent of each other and either can be done by hand or by machine.

If a shoemaker hand-welts means he applies the leather strip (welt) by hand. He then might hand-stitch a mid-sole and glues (cements) the rubber soles to the mid-sole. Most rubber soles (Vibram etc.) are designed to be just glued. The profile goes right to the edge. English rubber soles (Dainite, Commando, Ridgeway) are designed to be stitched. The profile does not go to the edge, leaving a recessed area to take the stitching. English rubber soles go back to the late 1800s and suitable glues for shoe soles were only invented after WWI.

You cannot hand-stitch rubber soles with conventional shoemaking technique. With a leather sole you poke the hole with the awl, remove the awl and go through the hole with a needle or bristle. The hole stays open in leater, unlike a rubber sole where the hole closes again after you have removed the awl. That's where the sowing machine comes in: the needle pokes the hole and has the thread near the tip of the needle, so once the needle got through, the thread has gone through as well.

Of course you can attach a Dainite sole with cement only and that is what many shoemakers will do. You better ask if the firm will stitch the outer rubber sole (either by hand or by machine) or will the rubber sole be just cemented.

Vass and St Crispin will cement a Dainite sole (but Vass will place an inch or so of stitching around the toe). I presume Zonkey and Ed et Al will also just cement the rubber sole. John Lobb (London) will hand-welt without a doubt, but will stitch the rubber sole in place using an out-soling sewing machine.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads