• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Man of Steel (2013)

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can't wait!

Last edited:

Anthony K

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

I won't even attempt to watch that movie.

I expected the worst, and lived through it. (of course watching it on hbo when there's nothing else on plus you're half ****-faced makes it sort of bearable)

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This gon' be good!

Guillermo del Toro Confirms DC Comics Project Dark Universe

First rumored by Latino Review last fall, IGN has now confirmed with Guillermo del Toro that plans are underway for a DC Comics ensemble film that will star quite a few of the company's supernatural characters. Similar in lineup to the current "Justice League Dark" series, the film version is being developed with the title Dark Universe and has just hired a mystery writer.

"I'm working on it," del Toro says. "I'm writing the outline and we're already in talks with a writer. A very, very good writer. People are probably going to be happy with who we have chosen. He accepted. I've been courting this writer, who I think is the perfect guy for this job. We're doing it. Hopefully it will happen."

The Pacific Rim director goes on to hint that the lineup for the project includes Swamp Thing, The Demon, John Constantine, Deadman, The Spectre and the father/daughter pair of Zatara and Zatanna.

"The movement for this happened before [The Avengers]," del Toro adds about DC building its own cinematic universe. "They were already galvanized to launch 'Justice League' and they were galvanized to make their universe cohesive... They are really, really, with 'Superman', very, very confident with what they have. They are now feeling they have two pillars. Batman and Superman... There's a foundation that now they can build on."

http://www.superherohype.com/news/a...toro-confirms-dc-comics-project-dark-universe

Though I am not sure if their overconfidence on Superman is a good thing or bad...?

Wouldn't mind seeing Keanu reprise his role as Constantine.

Last edited:

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This article is confusing to me....they're talking about a Justice League Dark, and also the "standard" Justice League. Justice League would be very cool (and I'd go see Dark if the reviews were good, but as a former casual comic book fan, I don't even know who these characters are....)

As for Superman and Batman being two pillars - as characters, sure. But as franchises? Superman is being rebooted (again), and Batman has just finished, so that'd pretty much need to be rebooted as well (unless you have Joseph Gordon-Levitt moving in to take over, which would be a pretty big departure from classic Batman). GL was apparently crap, and there are no movies with any other JL characters. Marvel had Iron Man/Thor/Cap movies out multiple years in advance of The Avengers being released.

Good to know that the movement happened before The Avengers, but that movie came out 8 months ago and was awesome, and in the meantime, DC has managed to....have talks with a writer? Maybe try to pick up the pace a bit, fellas. Or at least just call it like it is - I don't care if you're riding the wave Avengers started so long as you make a good movie. If you do, you'll get my $$ whether you had the idea first or not.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It looks like DC will take the reverse approach Marvel did. Instead of a bunch of standalone character movies leading up to the big team filme, they will start out with the team film as a way to introduce the new versions of these characters then do standalone films from there. The one exception would be Superman. It makes some sense, but I worry about them having to waste screen time in the JLA film explaining who the new (to the big screen) characters are.

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This article is confusing to me....they're talking about a Justice League Dark, and also the "standard" Justice League. Justice League would be very cool (and I'd go see Dark if the reviews were good, but as a former casual comic book fan, I don't even know who these characters are....)
As for Superman and Batman being two pillars - as characters, sure. But as franchises? Superman is being rebooted (again), and Batman has just finished, so that'd pretty much need to be rebooted as well (unless you have Joseph Gordon-Levitt moving in to take over, which would be a pretty big departure from classic Batman). GL was apparently crap, and there are no movies with any other JL characters. Marvel had Iron Man/Thor/Cap movies out multiple years in advance of The Avengers being released.
Good to know that the movement happened before The Avengers, but that movie came out 8 months ago and was awesome, and in the meantime, DC has managed to....have talks with a writer? Maybe try to pick up the pace a bit, fellas. Or at least just call it like it is - I don't care if you're riding the wave Avengers started so long as you make a good movie. If you do, you'll get my $$ whether you had the idea first or not.

QFT

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Oh and Zatanna on the big screen? Seriously? Yes please!

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It looks like DC will take the reverse approach Marvel did. Instead of a bunch of standalone character movies leading up to the big team filme, they will start out with the team film as a way to introduce the new versions of these characters then do standalone films from there. The one exception would be Superman. It makes some sense, but I worry about them having to waste screen time in the JLA film explaining who the new (to the big screen) characters are.

I share your concern. I don't see any benefit, in terms of storytelling, to doing it this way. Just seems like an attempt to cash in quickly on the success of The Avengers.

I could see doing this JL Dark in the near future, while at the same time building up the individual franchises to build toward an eventual "standard" Justice League film.

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Oh and Zatanna on the big screen? Seriously? Yes please!

Scantily-clad raven haired magician superheroine?! the possibilities are endless...

Last edited:

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have faith on Guillermo Del Toro, I really like both Hellboy movies and really wish he finished the trilogy he had planned. Pans Labyrinth was an amazing film and Pacific Rim is looking good right now too. He's currently developing an Incredible Hulk TV show right now too.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Warner Bros. Wins Big Victory in Superman Legal Battle

Warner Bros. came up big a few months ago when the heirs of Joe Shuster attempted to terminate the copyright on Superman and failed, as the court ruled in favor of WB. Now a similar instance has occured concerning Superman's other co-creator. The family of Jerome Siegel had their termination notice validated by a federal judge in 2008, but THR is reporting that this decision has now been struck down by the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals, which has decided that a lower court was wrong to deny Warner Bros. subsidiary DC Comics' contention that it had a deal in 2001 with the estate of Siegel.

What does this mean for Superman? Formally the Siegels were allowed to retain some of the rights to "Superman’s defining characteristics" which included "his costume, Clark Kent and his origin story, as described in the first editions of Action Comics," but since this ruling has now been reversed, it would appear the character and all his previous incarnations are owned solely by Warner Bros. and DC Comics.

This change now means the estates of both Superman co-creators will not retain the rights to any part of the character and Warner Bros. can do as they please with him. The decision comes at a good time for WB as their new Superman film, Man of Steel, will be released on June 14.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/a...ros-wins-big-victory-in-superman-legal-battle

willy cheesesteak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So will they use his old costume(red undies) in a sequel or Justice League now, now that they have the rights? :sarcasm:

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics