1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Man of Steel (2013)

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Neo_Version 7, Jan 30, 2011.

1. whnay.

whnay. Senior member Dubiously Honored

What score would you give it?

2. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

I liked it, a lot.

TDK is a 10/10 for me, Avengers is maybe 8-9/10 and I'd rank this about the same, 8.5-9/10. I am a big Superman fanboy though so I am a bit biased.

3. JRM

JRM Active Member

Hmmm. I had Batman Begins(start of the reboot)in mind. Although now, thinking about it, maybe BB was as well reviewedd as TDK or TDKR. I will have to check Rotten Tomatoes to see.

Anyways, back to the MoS topic - I am gonna stop reading reviews till I see the movie. Some of the reviews are giving away too much of the movie.

4. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

This. I read one review that made me angry as it didn't have any spoiler alert warnings and gave away a lot. I stopped after that point. Watching on Sunday in IMAX 3D.

5. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

This is great. Very well sums up a lot of my thoughts. I'll add a few more specifics here:

Thought it was much stronger than Batman Begins, but not up to TDK. Score was great - love the new Superman motif, and that crazy "Zod" noise is just creepy.

My only WTF moment was as Clark is in the ship in the ice, frozen 20k years ago, and then all of a sudden Jor-El pops open the door and BOOM - there's the suit. Which I suppose isn't really a "Superman" suit anymore, but a House of El suit.

I really appreciated how frequently his Kryptonian name was used. Kal. And not Kal-El, because that would be like using someone's surname repeatedly when they're already identified.

I thought Russell Crowe was fantastic, and was very pleased that he was in more than just the "prequil" Krypton scenes. Thought it was an interesting twist to have him killed by Zod, and that they had a prior relationship too. Thought Lara was written off too quick as the planet explodes... You're a civilization spanning hundreds of thousands of years, sending ships to outposts across the galaxy, but you can't tell that your planet core is collapsing in on yourself? I realize Jor-El was the planet's greatest scientist, but...

Which also leads me to think that therefore, Kal would be very mentally acute - perhaps moreso than he's traditionally been portrayed. So, it was easier for me to breeze over Kal describing how to reopen the phantom zone for the anomaly, and how they'd need to drop his ship as a bomb, etc.

I loved Kevin Costner. There was the much maligned scene after Clark pushes the bus out of the lake where he asks "Should I have let them all die," and Jonathan replies, "Maybe." A lot of people thought that was way too dark for a Superman continuum. But in context, I thought Jonathan perfectly complimented Jor's pride in his son. I think Jonathan and Jor operate as a perfect yin-yang of influence on Kal's development and identity - both pride and action vs. caution and discipline, etc.

Twist on Jonathan dying in the tornado was cool. Thought that really served well to cement how much Jonathan believed in protecting his son from society.

Didn't really understand what the "Codex" was. It was a piece of a "missing link" skull from the dawn of Kryptonian civilization with little writing all over it? How did that dictate the genetic makeup of all Kryptonians for millenia? Thought it was cool that it was downloaded into Kal's DNA, making him all the more special and a true heir and progenitor of an entire civilization. And I totally felt the "test tube baby" part of the script coming on. Thought that was a great way of making Kal an outlaw from the getgo.

Also, Zod's motivation left me feeling very sympathetic towards him - especially when Clark takes down the Ice Ship, and Zod tells him he's effectively destroyed Krypton, the "you've taken my soul" line, as a being created solely for defending and advancing Krypton's interests. Very, very interesting.

The Christ-Kal references were many, and I liked them. I am religious, and have seen many of those in the previews, comics, and general Superman storyline; don't mind Snyder bringing them to the forefront of the mythology.

Very strong movie. Personally would have preferred just a bit more exposition and a little less mass destruction, but can understand why it was done as it was. Hopefully in MoS2, they'll play on relationships just a bit more, while also maintaining that Supes can kick butt.

Loved the "downed drone" scene at the end. "I know you're looking for where I hang my cape. Don't."

Last edited: Jun 14, 2013
  6. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

As with a lot of other remakes and reboots, it is probably best to let the movie stand (or in this case, fly) on its own merit without comparing it to any other source. This is how I intend to see it. Be a kid, make believe and enjoy the ride.

1 person likes this.
  7. Saturdays

Saturdays Senior member

I went into the movie with little expectations, and was still somewhat disappointed...

The idea was so great, and with 2.5 hours they did so little. For an origin story it seemed so straight forward, and it seemed like there wasn't much in Superman's way.

I would have enjoyed a more expanded childhood and better pacing. They passed through the hardships of his life so quickly, i felt they held little value in his overall development. In contrast, Batman Begins has a terrific backstory and development on Bruce's part, it didn't seem as simple for him to become Batman, as compared to how simple Kal/Clark became Superman.

If anything, I would have enjoyed more Zod and Jor backstory. Michael Shannon was great, just wish the intensity of the trailers translated well into the movies, I feel it did not capture that sense of urgency and panic that the trailers emitted, and would have made the movie just that much better.

I guess what I'm saying is, it seemed like the movie was written and directed in easy mode.

It wasn't all bad though. I enjoyed the fact that Superman was considered an Alien amongst people, and that he and both his fathers were each pulling on his moral fibre of whether or not he should be a 'human' or be a super 'human' and lead mankind. I also loved the juxtaposition between Jor and Zod, Zod wasn't necessarily the bad guy, just a different viewpoint. It was nice to see him defend his decisions and actually have depth. I was surprised to see how much of Jor's approval he yearned for, he never hated Jor, but he definitely was frustrated at him for the decision he made.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2013
  8. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Prequel comic is online: http://imgur.com/a/mMCZm

Mind blown!!!

Read the comic before clicking the next spoiler...

Reveals who was in the empty pod on the ship.

9. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

I agree with the pacing, it could have been better but I am not sure I agree that he had it easier to become Superman. It took the death of his dad to get to where he was as Clark and he sacrificed his whole species by choosing the humans over Kryptonians. Also keep in mind that his dad gave him the codex to start a new Krypton so that their species could live on but at the same time, JorEl wanted Kal to have his own choice. So on one end he has to practically kill any hopes of reviving his species to save his now home world but he also achieved what JorEl wanted from him. I think that is a tough choice and really made his character.

It also took a lot to be forced to kill, which we all know is very un-Superman-like. That scream of regret was a bit bone chilling because you see that regret. This is where it all starts and in the future films, they could easily show his resistance to killing or maybe even hurting someone.

There really are plenty to nitpick in the film though, I went to see it with my brother and he felt the start and flashbacks was a bit boring while I thought it wasn't because of the faster pace and the insertion of action scenes in between, which I found enjoyable and interesting. I also like the pace because really, we know who and what Superman is and I think Snyder just wanted to show what is different from what we already know. Ad Snyder and Goyer did change a lot to the chagrin of plenty of fans but I do think it sets up a Superman for the new generation. Most critics were looking for fun and joy in the film but while not brooding or overly dark, this film is definitely not the Donner/Reeves Superman that most critics wanted to see. Essential Superman is there and it is to build his character and that is why I had little to no problem with him killing Zod. It isn't his characteristic and you could see the resistance but he also has mistakes (he actually killed Zod in the comics too iirc) which leads to what Superman is. It also sets the tone of how far he would go to save humanity and that is a thin line he has to thread in the future.

10. gort

gort Senior member

Saw it today, I thought it was pretty good but the end felt a bit drawn out.

11. darkknight

darkknight Senior member

it wasn't bad, but the action was overkill. did anyone else say "wtf" when superman tackled zod through a oil tanker and then a gas station, both of which exploded?? and the gas station had people and cars in it too. why did he drag them to a small town instead of fighting them on a large field?? just seemed very careless and inconsiderate of all the innocent bystandards. there were just too many explosions, too much destruction, and the fight scenes just seemed to drag on and on with nothing special. i would understand if superman had been around for a while, but he caused way too much damage for his first time introducing himself to the world. i really wanted to not believe the critics, but after watching it i can understand why they gave such low ratings.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2013
  12. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

I am watching the Donner Superman right now.

So hokey. But in a good way too.

I advise re watching this before criticizing MoS.

13. Duff_Man

Duff_Man Senior member

I think it was a great film, but agree with this re: the fight scenes. Firstly, there was far too much destruction. Secondly, the characters felt far too invulnerable, and that really negated a lot of the tension in the film. The grass was watching the elephants fight. If, however, Superman was actively trying to stop collateral damage (property and life) by throwing himself in front of debris and rescuing bystanders while getting pummeled by Zod, it would've gone a long way to making him feel more vulnerable, the action more tense.

1 person likes this.
  14. gort

gort Senior member

That's a good point. I kept thinking "Man they are really obliterating the entire city, they're going to hate super man!"

I caught the Lexcorp easter egg but missed the Wayne Enterprises one. I think because I was sitting a little too close to the screen.

1 person likes this.
  15. whnay.

I really liked the first 90 minutes but agree that the action towards the end got a little tired. Impressive FX to be sure but a little overblown. I also thought the way Zod died was kind of lame - after all of that and you break the guys neck?

16. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

Not enough dramatic tension in the action and fight scenes. Supes spends too much time fighting a giant, faceless machine. Fragmented flashback approach saps all satisfaction out of the origin story. Totally anticlimactic. Russell Crowe obviously demanded significant screen time in a way that adds nothing to the movie. Amy Adams is a little old for Lois Lane--and I hate to say it, but she needs to lose some weight. Also, her action scenes made no sense plot-wise. I blame political correctness for forcing her into a more action-oriented, semi-heroine role. What the fuck is wrong with a good, spunky damsel in distress from time to time?

Ultimately, entertaining enough but could be much improved. Better than the trash that is the Iron Man franchise, but not even close to Nolan's Batman. Cavill is a good Superman, though.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2013
  17. gort

gort Senior member

Reading the IMDB trivia, I was unaware prior that Cavill was also under consideration to be Nolan's Bruce Wayne.

18. whnay.

I agree with Foo - a really good Superman. I thought he pulled it off better than Bale did Batman.

19. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

And he was also in contention for Superman Returns and James Bond that Daniel Craig got.

20. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

I love the action in this film, I just think a Superman film has to be over the top, like actually seeing the most powerful hero out there fight with someone who can stand toe to toe with him. It's like the polar opposite of SR where Supes biggest feat was carrying a giant mass of land.

The destruction and him being not the "Clark" we all know gets a pass at me, this is his origin story, he can learn from it. Like people complaining that Cavills Clark wasn't clumsy or a bit charming or fun but the thing is that is what Kal does to differ himself from Superman when he is already the Daily Planet Clark. In this film, he didn't need to be that bumbling man that people would consider least as Superman. He was a wanderer through out the whole film and had no attachment to anyone or anything so pretending or trying to hide who he really is wasn't a priority.