• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Maine Weekend suggestions

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm headed up to Maine for the weekend. We'll be in Portland and Brewster primarily. Sailing is the primary purpose of the trip, so I'm not really interested in other outdoor activities. Any restaurant, cultural, or retail suggestions?

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gladhands
I'm headed up to Maine for the weekend. We'll be in Portland and Brewster primarily. Sailing is the primary purpose of the trip, so I'm not really interested in other outdoor activities. Any restaurant, cultural, or retail suggestions?

Definitely Street & Company in Portland. Amazing oysters & fish. More hyped but in my opinion a step below is Fore Street restaurant.

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Grill Room.

Skip the lines at Street. The only thing I liked at Street was the Lobster Diavolo. Vignola and its sister restaurant Cinque Terre are also good when they have their featured menus. If you just want cheap lobster you can get it cooked at Three Sons right by the ocean. I usually like J's Oyster, but it's gotten good reviews as a "local" place on Yelp and now there's a lineup. Avoid the Old Port Tavern.

For retail, Rogues Gallery is local and fairly well-known. Freeport and Kittery have a bunch of outlets. There's a 24/7 LL Bean in Freeport if that strikes your fancy.

Cultural: There should be a fair or two when you're in town.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^ Shrugs, I liked Street & Co better than Grill Room.

FWIW, there is a good sushi place in Portland. Yelp it. It's hit or miss with the dishes but the hits are out of this world.

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think Metro is talking about Miyake. If so, make sure you get a reservation. The place is tiny.

B^2

Reaction score
head to gritty's for a beer. it's a local craft brewer in portland with a solid brown ale and a cool scene. also the oldport area is fun to walk around.

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by B^2
head to gritty's for a beer. it's a local craft brewer in portland with a solid brown ale and a cool scene. also the oldport area is fun to walk around.
If you like overpriced beer you can get next door cheaper as well as an atmosphere which consists of the server barely being there, the thick crowd to cut through, and having to yell to talk to your companions. If you really want a beer experience, The Great Lost Bear is in Portland as well and has more beer and more room. Drink up there, and then head to town.

Jazzman19

Reaction score
I second the Great Lost Bear for beer --> you'll get variety, but might be out of your way a bit if you are on feet. The food there, however, is subpar- even for a dive. The beer collection is fantastic though, so it will make up for it.

Street and Co. is cool, but in my opinion Fore Street is worth the wait. Bresca has the best Italian and is often overshadowed by the other annual stalwarts in Portland.

Have fun!

ComboOrgan

Reaction score
I only spent one night in Portland, but I had one of the best breakfasts of my life at Porthole Restaurant. It a dingy-on-the-outside little spot near the docks. I still lust after the homemade sausage and homefries (they use russets and sweet potatoes). http://www.portholemaine.com/

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads