• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mafoofan struggles to buy breast wallet at Hermes . . . arises victorious!

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This is a good time to share my Hermes nightmare story since it’s already been bumped.
I have one ... but it's more amusing than nightmare.

I was at a branch with a friend who was picking up an agenda refill. I was looking at -- with no intention of touching -- a piece of luggage when the sales assistant said "It's better if you don't handle it." I said nothing but my friend announced "He's a live one, he has an entire set of Hermes luggage his mother left him". The assistant announced "Old luggage, ick!" I guess I got a little too close to the bag because she picked it up and put it out of reach.

I'm not a Hermes regular -- nor will I be ... Chester Mox works for me -- so I imagine they didn't really care about the insult.

In any event, I recognized the assistant as the wife of an oral surgeon. I recall seeing them at some charity event. He's the kind of guy who rather than talk about the surgery you need spends most of his time talking about how he owns the best car; the best house; the best clothes; the best this, that, and the other thing ... and I guess the best wife. I also recalled a story that he picked her up while she was working as a cocktail waitress at LAX. She has come a long way ... or perhaps not.

I thought about saying something but decided to leave her to her fantasy.

Last edited:

Sam H

Reaction score
Lol I really don’t get the appeal at all of Hermes, I never read this thread in its entirety way back when but now I did and it solidifies by hatred of luxury brand-whore nonsense. All these stories are so infuriating. Mine was more of a joke about a mundane occurrence but frankly I feel like listing this tie on eBay since a) I never wear ties at all anymore, b) this ex girlfriend is a wonderful person but she’s married now, it’s over, the gift no longer holds any long term sentimental value and c) everything about this company makes me angry at the obscene world of consumer luxury. Sure I’m guilty of it, spending money on custom sports coats and shirts, but I take some pride or solace in the fact that I go to places that don’t exist to impress people by label alone and that aren’t structured in the luxury mass market appeal way. I don’t want anything I own to impress someone just because they can do some logo math in their head and guess how much I spent and peg my disposable income. It’s that antithesis of whatever vanity and approval I seek. And yes, I won’t be so virtuous as to pretend there isn’t an element of vanity. But the vanity is driven by a desire for good taste and successful execution of personal style to be acknowledged. It may not be the most pure form of living but it’s still far removed from the vanity of hoping someone sees you and feels less than because they can’t afford what you can afford. The latter is just a reflection of the disgusting state of things in the world.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don’t want anything I own to impress someone just because they can do some logo math in their head ...

I don't own items with visible logos or anything made of signature cloth. We might have to make an exception for cars; it's hard to find them without branding.

I do have an appreciation for the quality of Hermes leather goods ... but it is possible to find such things elsewhere at a better price.

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
I have a Hermes wallet. It's nice. I bought it from a lady at the Hermes store. She was nice.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have a Hermes wallet. It's nice. I bought it from a lady at the Hermes store. She was nice.
I should add that most sales associates I've met in Hermes have been very helpful and polite. My experience noted above was a one time happening.

Last edited:

CollingsD2H

Reaction score
I went to an Hermes boutique recently to buy a bag called Birkin for my wife without knowing how they operate. I just walked in and announced to the SA that I would like this bag called Birkin. The SA sort of settled me down and started going into some spiel about how it is about building a relationship before I can shell out $10k on a bag. I found this game to be a bit amusing and ****'ed up at the same time. I have to freaking "level up" to get to a status and only then I have a shot at this bag. What the fook is going on here, I asked myself. This sounded similar to how Ferrari operates. Just take my money and give me the freaking bag. What relationship and why?! Gotta play the game to get what I want???

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
I went to an Hermes boutique recently to buy a bag called Birkin for my wife without knowing how they operate. I just walked in and announced to the SA that I would like this bag called Birkin. The SA sort of settled me down and started going into some spiel about how it is about building a relationship before I can shell out $10k on a bag. I found this game to be a bit amusing and ****'ed up at the same time. I have to freaking "level up" to get to a status and only then I have a shot at this bag. What the fook is going on here, I asked myself. This sounded similar to how Ferrari operates. Just take my money and give me the freaking bag. What relationship and why?! Gotta play the game to get what I want???
It’s all a misunderstanding. SA thought you said “merkin”.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
So...what did you buy instead of the Birkin bag?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads