• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Made in Spain Footwear, including TLB Mallorca, Cobbler Union, Yanko, Norman Vilalta, etc

weissmenswear

Reaction score
How does TLB (Main line and Artista) compare to Carmina in terms leather quality and construction?

In my experience, Artista line and Carmina are neck and neck when it comes to leather quality (both excellent). construction-wise both are also excellent but Artista will deliver a tighter waist and semi fiddleback, which is something you won’t find with Carmina. This is purely an aesthetic thing, though.

what it really should come down to between these excellent brands is the last and how it fits your feet, in all honesty. You’ll find some very similar upper styles from both brands. Oh, and Carmina has a much wider selection when it comes to shell cordovan, so that’s something to consider.

I don’t have direct experience with TLB’s mainline, but from what I understand, the quality remains very good and the lower price point is achieved through lesser finishing, not cutting any corners when it comes to construction.

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How does TLB (Main line and Artista) compare to Carmina in terms leather quality and construction?

In my experience, Artista line and Carmina are neck and neck when it comes to leather quality (both excellent). construction-wise both are also excellent but Artista will deliver a tighter waist and semi fiddleback, which is something you won’t find with Carmina. This is purely an aesthetic thing, though.

what it really should come down to between these excellent brands is the last and how it fits your feet, in all honesty. You’ll find some very similar upper styles from both brands. Oh, and Carmina has a much wider selection when it comes to shell cordovan, so that’s something to consider.

I don’t have direct experience with TLB’s mainline, but from what I understand, the quality remains very good and the lower price point is achieved through lesser finishing, not cutting any corners when it comes to construction.

I'm obviously biased, but if you just look at plain facts on construction (leaving out material since it's more complicated to compare, while think Weissenmenswear summarises it well above), comparing Carmina, TLB main line and TLB Artista, it would look something like this:

Heel stiffener material:
Carmina - Plastic
TLB - Leather board
TLB Artista - Real leather

Waist:
Carmina - Relatively narrow, slightly bevelled
TLB - Relatively narrow, slightly bevelled
TLB Artista - Very narrow, bevelled

Waist edges:
Carmina - Rounded inside, square outside, rubber soles not rounded
TLB - Rounded inside and outside, rubber soles rounded inside and outside
TLB Artista - Rounded inside and outside, rubber soles rounded inside and outside

Sanding sole and heel edges:
Carmina - Normal moderate, by machine
TLB - Normal moderate, by machine
TLB Artista - Fine, by machine and finished by hand

Heel cut towards upper:
Carmina - Normal
TLB - Normal
TLB Artista - Tight

Sole stitching:
Carmina - 6 spi (stitches per inch)
TLB - 6 spi
TLB Artista - 8 spi (6 spi for rubber)

RRP price (incl. VAT):
Carmina - €395
TLB - €365
TLB Artista - €425

patliean1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone!

georgeka

Reaction score
Sole stitching:
Carmina - 6 spi (stitches per inch)
TLB - 6 spi
TLB Artista - 8 spi (6 spi for rubber)

I own TLB mainline and Carmina both with a rubber sole, Carmina has a bit more stitches per inch. But probably it could vary, because my pair of TLB is storm welted. Apart from that Carmina feels and looks superior, has no experience with artista line tho.

Last edited:

gld edmond

Reaction score
I believe tlb artista range is superior to Carmina.
Also, when you buy from tlb you buy from Toni who answers your emails. Carmina's customer service is fair at best.
I believe tlb artista range is superior to Carmina.
Also, when you buy from tlb you buy from Toni who answers your emails. Carmina's customer service is fair at best.
I bought some great shoes from the mainline, and Toni emailed me the same day I ordered, I had the shoes in just a few days from Spain to the U.S. I love Carmina's shoes, but as you said fair at best as far as customer service!

unprocessed

Reaction score
Can attest to the quick customer service response. My made to order Artisas we made and then shipped to me in about a week. I tried to make a change to my customization and Toni quickly responded it was too late (along with sending me photos of the shoes!).

DrewMill

Reaction score
I'm biased of course, but if you just look at the specifications it's evident that you get quite a lot for the money with Artista (which has been the aim all along). But if you like the look and fit of Carmina it might of course still be a better choice for you.

View attachment 1214221

I love seeing this kind of comparison! Do you happen to know if this exists for any other brands?

hrv123

Reaction score
Can someone comment on the instep of the Artista line? I have a lowish instep. For reference Edward Green fits my foot the best and of Carmina lasts, Simpson is best. Would Artista work for me?

weissmenswear

Reaction score
Might take the artista plunge. Are Kirby’s offerings exclusive to his site?
Can someone comment on the instep of the Artista line? I have a lowish instep. For reference Edward Green fits my foot the best and of Carmina lasts, Simpson is best. Would Artista work for me?

Goya is a nice medium instep for me, not too high or low. I also am a fan of carmina Simpson (I just take a half size bigger than Rain, and I always have a little trouble with how high Rain’s instep can be).

hrv123

Reaction score
Thanks for this. Rain has too high of an instep for me and too much width in the heel. Will consider the Goya last.

vmss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Goya is a nice medium instep for me, not too high or low. I also am a fan of carmina Simpson (I just take a half size bigger than Rain, and I always have a little trouble with how high Rain’s instep can be).

I am simpson 8.5 what size do you recommend with Goya?

weissmenswear

Reaction score
I am simpson 8.5 what size do you recommend with Goya?

I wear:
Carmina rain 9.5 UK
Carmina uetam 9.5 UK
Carmina Simpson 10 UK
TLB Mallorca 9.5 UK
Allen Edmonds (most lasts) 10.5D US
Alden Aberdeen 10.5D US
Edward Green 82 last 10 E UK

The TLBs fit quite nicely for me. I wear a thinner dress sock with them and it’s just the right level of hug. As with any sizing, YMMV and comfort can be subjective.

gld edmond

Reaction score
I have a pair of Newmans from the mainline, and was told all the lasts fit the same except the toe area. I too have a low instep and buy Carmina Simpson as well. The TLB fit really well right out of the box, the Carmina took a long time to break in. The only issue I had with the TLB is I had to put a tongue pad in, but the fit is perfect.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads