• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mad Men Season 5

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Has everyone forgotten how weak and insecure Don is? He can't face his brother, he's terrified of another life, he's completely afraid of losing Meagan (he wept on his knees in front of her), he was visibly shaken when Peggy leaves...

I think that's the point of the character: he's an alpha male but he's also human and flawed. Unless you are a complete sociopath, alpha-ness is really just a measure of how good you are at putting on a show. We know that Don is vulnerable because we see things from his POV, but to the rest of the world he's always in control.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I think that's the point of the character: he's an alpha male but he's also human and flawed. Unless you are a complete sociopath, alpha-ness is really just a measure of how good you are at putting on a show. We know that Don is vulnerable because we see things from his POV, but to the rest of the world he's always in control.

I agree I'm more on the side of he's not as alpha as folk may want to portray him as.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

The whole alpha/beta thing is marsupialed.

Once you're around for a while, you'll get it. It started in one particularly entertaining thread and has become one of our "thangs."

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
And being fearful of the alpha label is definitely not alpha.

themodestman

Reaction score
Once you're around for a while, you'll get it. It started in one particularly entertaining thread and has become one of our "thangs."

Gotcha...I guess I associate it mostly with pickup artist types, who tend to be overcompensating and generally trying way too hard. I think being "alpha" is like being cool...people who are don't realize it. It's the people trying to figure out the labels that clearly are not.

Jackie Treehorn

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Gotcha...I guess I associate it mostly with pickup artist types, who tend to be overcompensating and generally trying way too hard. I think being "alpha" is like being cool...people who are don't realize it. It's the people trying to figure out the labels that clearly are not.

Alpha is kind of a "thing" on SF, as has been said. It's also been taken to its ridiculous extremes here, such that someone doesn't qualify as "alpha" unless his name can credibly be substituted for Chuck Norris's name in the old circa-2006 internet meme.

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Alpha is kind of a "thing" on SF, as has been said. It's also been taken to its ridiculous extremes here, such that someone doesn't qualify as "alpha" unless his name can credibly be substituted for Chuck Norris's name in the old circa-2006 internet meme.

That's the way things go on messageboards. there are also plenty of people on these boards who think that if your socks don't cost at least 60 bucks a pair you might as well be shopping at wal mart.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Blee blee blay!

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Yup. Bingo.

Monaco

Reaction score
Don was really shaken up by Peggy's leaving but is it really a surprise?

I feel like Peter is going to kill somebody soon.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Niotyer