• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mad Men Season 4

eddievddr10

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
don pulled a jerry maguire move now lets see them "show him the money!"

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
That episode was just chock full of filler. I fast forwarded through every scene with Betty, any child, and the drug addict. Who even gives a **** about these characters at this point?

If they manage to pull the cancer society that will be huge.

"You there...get my shoes"

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
That episode was just chock full of filler. I fast forwarded through every scene with Betty, any child, and the drug addict. Who even gives a **** about these characters at this point? If they manage to pull the cancer society that will be huge. "You there...get my shoes"
the addict was central to the whole theme of the episode. being a heroin addict starving artist willing to whore themselves even to former loves to get a fix parallels ADmen trials and tribulations whoring himself in desperation to heinz or anyone. the betty thing - her being a more dysfunctional child than even her own daughter - is being beaten into our heads 1,000,00X but it parallels don's child-like spoiled behavior (as creative is usually guilty of - the "least-important/most-important people") in doing as he pleases dammed the collateral damage. (it just shows how don and betty where a match made in HELL - two stunted/flawed personalities where one was not willing to change for the other).

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LawrenceMD
the addict was central to the whole theme of the episode. being a heroin addict starving artist willing to whore themselves even to former loves to get a fix parallels ADmen trials and tribulations whoring himself in desperation to heinz or anyone. the betty thing - her being a more dysfunctional child than even her own daughter - is being beaten into our heads 1,000,00X but it parallels don's child-like spoiled behavior (as creative is usually guilty of - the "least-important/most-important people") in doing as he pleases dammed the collateral damage. (it just shows how don and betty where a match made in HELL - two stunted/flawed personalities where one was not willing to change for the other).
Oh I understand the symbolism. Its just boring television.

Beetleything

Reaction score
Another great episode.

Surprising to say the least.

Don does another Don...doing the unexpected.

He's a law unto himself.

He's got BALLS!

The junkie artist was totally symbolic and fitted perfectly with Don ripping all his past pages out and starting anew refusing to let circumstances drag him down.

Paying Campbell's share was class.

He's still got those 2 orbit's spinning around him - his secretary and Faye - "get your girl to book the table".....and ' i liked what you wrote, it's different around here" as faye exits....oh what a sticky place to be.

Betty....well yes - the spoiled little girl in the adult body.........even her daughter is more mature than her.
I do not think her partner realizes what he has bitten off.

mr. magoo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ArliHawk`
Was that a razor Sally had? Somewhat creepy.

I assume it was whatever Glen put on her pillow when he trashed the house, but I could be wrong.

Originally Posted by Rambo
That episode was just chock full of filler. I fast forwarded through every scene with Betty, any child, and the drug addict. Who even gives a **** about these characters at this point?

Really? Not too big on narrative structure, are you? The whole ad in the NY Times thing comes out of Midge's state and Peggy's comment to Don.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I liked the overall arc of the episode.

But I felt that the execution was terribly clumsy and heavy handed. Pacing was off. Some shots lingered too long. Watching it was annoying - like when an amateur comedian doesn't have his timing down yet.

Albern

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fwiffo

And how is Pryce a junior partner but he gets his name on the door?

Wasn't it because he was the architect in taking key accounts and resources from SC and transplanting it into SCDP?

Also, the creative director who is always in "competition" is really really annoying. Can someone please kill him off by this coming Sunday just before 11PM?

bkk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by origenesprit
Depressing episode. Really depressing.

Although the overall theme was depressing (layoffs, mother/daughter conflict), there were a few heartwarming scenes. When the therapist is proud of Sally, I believe that was the first time someone genuinely said something encouraging to her. Someone needed to be the voice of reason in her life. And Don drank very little in this episode, at least for his standards. He went back to swimming, he wrote again, had a decent night's sleep, and finally pulled one of his big moves that have been lacking this season.

Just my 2 cents. Its a bit dark right now, but there seems to be a light at the end of the tunnel. Sometimes we have to deal with everything crumbling around us before the best times occur.

fwiffo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Albern
Wasn't it because he was the architect in taking key accounts and resources from SC and transplanting it into SCDP?

Also, the creative director who is always in "competition" is really really annoying. Can someone please kill him off by this coming Sunday just before 11PM?

Architect - okay, he worked out the timing of the move. I was just surprised there weren't 4 senior partners and Campbell as the junior. I do recognize why he's there. If it weren't for him, it'd be Joan or Cooper from Season 1 because I'm sure the only way Sterling, Draper and Campbell know they're going under is when the repossession people literally take their glasses and desks from where they sit.

Somehow Chaou-guh-guh is still smiling after blowing the money on that Honda commercial.
plain.gif

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fwiffo
And how is Pryce a junior partner but he gets his name on the door?

Originally Posted by Albern

No.

Without Pryce, there'd be no SCDP because he had to agree to fire Roger, Bert and Don to let them set up the new agency. Partnership was one of the conditions for that.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TRINI
No. Without Pryce, there'd be no SCDP because he had to agree to fire Roger, Bert and Don to let them set up the new agency. Partnership was one of the conditions for that.
+1 He had to fire the rest of them to get them out of their contracts and then basically take the risk that he would be trapped by his own contract. Luckily the brits got suitably angry and fired him immediately...but what if they had caught on that he wanted to leave and decided to instead press for that move to India? (obviously we don't know the terms of his contract...a judge would probably let him out of a non-compete clause if the only way he could honor the contract was to be moved to India or otherwise have his career scuttled)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads