• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lu Yang shoes appreciation thread

woofmang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
3. The final shoes

After yet another two months, Lu told me that the shoes were ready. Shipment from Mainland China to Hong Kong was by the usual SF Express. During the wait, Lu actually did a trunk show in Hong Kong in collaboration with Dashing House Menswear (https://www.dashinghousehk.com/), yet another young bespoke operation in Hong Kong. As I commissioned my pair before they announced the collaboration (as a significantly lower price), I did not attend the trunk show as a matter of principle.

The packaging was not luxurious, but decent enough (similar to many artisanal makers in Italy).
View attachment 1240029

View attachment 1240030

View attachment 1240031

Narrow waist as requested. The shoe price included triumph metal toe plate already - personally installed by Lu on the day before shipping.
View attachment 1240032

Tapered... and most importantly seamless heel.
View attachment 1240033

What surprised me was the fit. Perhaps I did not have too much of an expectation for such an e-bespoke process, the shoes actually fit surprisingly well.
View attachment 1240034

View attachment 1240035

There was a little bit of excess leather over the vamp. Guess this can only be corrected in my next order.
View attachment 1240036

"Stretch marks" - @bamboo said it is quite commonly seen on seamless wholecuts.
View attachment 1240037

Lu said that his wife tried to polish the shoes before sending them to me. But as can be seen from previous photos, it was a matte shine at best. To show the nuanced museum colour better, I decided to give the shoes a wax-based polish (Berluti/ Avel clear wax, fawn wax, dark brown wax, Kiwi Parade Gloss, dark brown wax). Not yet mirror shine, but a passable high shine.

View attachment 1240039

View attachment 1240040

View attachment 1240041

Finally, a couple of photos comparing the Lu Yang bespoke shoe and Meccariello Aurum RTW, and shoes in actual wear:
View attachment 1240047

View attachment 1240049
Beautiful! Congratulations!

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
by the way how long did the whole process take?

shirtingfantasy

Reaction score
by the way how long did the whole process take?

With all the back-and-forth, around 6-9 months is usually adequate.

You do need to provide him with feedback in time as there are at least 2 fittings. If you want to meet him personally then there is also considerations of his availability in the city you can go to.

shirtingfantasy

Reaction score
Beautiful! Congratulations!

I invited a friend who has Yim to look as the shoes. He said Lu finishing is quite clearly better than Yim.

Guess it makes sense since Yim is operating at the single-pair MTO level with a small factory, whereas Lu is just himself and his wife at home - more flexibility and more individualised.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I invited a friend who has Yim to look as the shoes. He said Lu finishing is quite clearly better than Yim.

Guess it makes sense since Yim is operating at the single-pair MTO level with a small factory, whereas Lu is just himself and his wife at home - more flexibility and more individualised.

That is surprising to hear about Lu's work being better than Yims. ThunderMa always speaks very favorably about Yim's work, in particular, and his overall shoes, in general. You are right though that individual operations tend to be better due to the attention that can be applied to the shoes.

How are the shoes holding up? How would you compare them now to AMs stuff? Not in appearance, but how they feel on your feet?

Peking_Gent

Reaction score
Damn, the price of these is ridiculous. I know Jimjun makes bespoke shoes for more than 10,000 CNY, that's 1400ish USD.

shirtingfantasy

Reaction score
Damn, the price of these is ridiculous. I know Jimjun makes bespoke shoes for more than 10,000 CNY, that's 1400ish USD.

LY also increased his price a bit now, but there will be 2-3 pairs of fitting shoes.

ant922599

Reaction score
Shoes are okay, but wearing AM too much lately, and LY don't get the deserved wear...
So, is this more of a negative reflection on LY, or a positive reflection on AM? Or neither and you've just not reached for them regularly?!

Keen to hear....

Peking_Gent

Reaction score
LY also increased his price a bit now, but there will be 2-3 pairs of fitting shoes.

Just booked my appointment with Lu Yang in March next year. He is so booked up, and those 24-pairs-a-year production volume is not catching up with this demand. It won't take long before we need to wait for the same or even more time for him than Yohei Fukuda.

Peking_Gent

Reaction score
Sharing some photos of my first trial fitting shoes from Lu Yang. All being done remote, but he does in-person fittings at trunk shows.

The last photo shows the cork outsole used for trial pairs.

How do you communicate the fit with him? I thought he usually cut the shoe open, etc.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads