• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lost wedding ring - need to buy a new one

JohnGalt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So the ring I’ve been wearing for the past 12 years has gone missing. NGL I’m a bit upset, but what’s done is done and I need to replace it. I had worn a 6mm, comfort fit, platinum band and was very happy with it. Developed a great patina over time. FWIW our jewelry policy has covered the loss without issue.

any experiences with durability of some of the designer brands (Cartier, Tiffany) as compared to a regular band I can get from Costco or my regular jeweler? Going away from a plain band, the Cartier d’amour at 6mm looks nice (online at least). Think something like the Love would be a bit ostentatious.

thanks in advance for the feedback.

Joe Schmoe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been wearing a Tiffany platinum wedding band for 19 years and it's been very durable. It still looks like a plain platinum wedding band. The surface is no longer mirror-smooth -- since I've been wearing it daily for 19 years -- but it's perfectly intact, no chips or severe scratches. It was a luxury purchase at the time but it's held up very well.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We upgraded our bands to Tiffany’s about 15 years ago and they’ve held up quite well. Just periodic polishing which they offer as a complementary service.

1625744428648.jpeg

JohnGalt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been wearing a Tiffany platinum wedding band for 19 years and it's been very durable. It still looks like a plain platinum wedding band. The surface is no longer mirror-smooth -- since I've been wearing it daily for 19 years -- but it's perfectly intact, no chips or severe scratches. It was a luxury purchase at the time but it's held up very well.

good to know - thanks for the feedback. I very much liked the patina my ring had developed.

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Harry Winston platinum is good and heavy. Cannot speak to durability as I only had it on finger when I was shopping for my wedding band.

Wound up going with custom made band from Grew & Co in Oz and absolutely love it. Team there works with some really interesting metals. Overnighted from Sydney to NYC at no charge.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can buy wedding bands at Costco? Holy Hell...

Not the most romantic memory, I’m sure, if shopping as soon to be newlyweds.

I believe they’re nestled somewhere between men’s underwear and pizza bites in the freezer section.

Gonzo9

Reaction score
This is the 5mm 18k Cartier. Had about 6 years. 18k is pretty soft. The D’Amour Platinum 6mm is a really heavy stout ring.

It was great service at Cartier in Boca Town Center. Got the sizing spot on and took about a week to pick It up.

4FDCD1AD-72F2-4F2A-92B4-DC3A8B6510EC.jpeg

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the "patina vs. polish" discussion is interesting. I was shopping at a jewelry store once and the clerk offered to polish my very banged up wedding ring. I wouldn't think of it...I like all the knicks and scratches.

But I don't hesitate to have my watches polished, even though it's a no-no in terms of collecting/resale value.

JohnGalt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is the 5mm 18k Cartier. Had about 6 years. 18k is pretty soft. The D’Amour Platinum 6mm is a really heavy stout ring.

It was great service at Cartier in Boca Town Center. Got the sizing spot on and took about a week to pick It up.

View attachment 1636262

great feedback - thank you. I’ll have to try and get up to the Dallas location this weekend to try them on.

JohnGalt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not the most romantic memory, I’m sure, if shopping as soon to be newlyweds.

I believe they’re nestled somewhere between men’s underwear and pizza bites in the freezer section.

many people don’t care about their rings and just want to get the cheapest thing. Hence the uptick in non-luxury metals being used.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads