• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Loss of style points?

Fortysomething

Reaction score
Does appearance in GQ result in a loss of style points, or perhaps 'SF' points? a.p.c. jeans are shown in the latest edition.

Is that a bad thing or a good thing? Bad that they are now more open to the masses or good that others are now realizing what many here have thought?

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The whole appeal of brands like A.P.C. is timelesness and subtle branding. That way when those brands do get hyped you don't look like an asshole for rocking it.

Now if you were wearing True Religion's before they really started getting popular that's a whole nother story.

FiveFiveFive

Reaction score
Wow, has GQ really become the barometer for played-out fashion -- if it likes something, it's no longer OK to wear it?

The people at Barney's are that way with Nordstrom, apparently. I recently told a few Barney's workers that Nordstrom started carrying Steven Alan, and they were absolutely disgusted. I also heard Barney's is cutting off Trovata because you can find it on Nordstrom racks now. It struck me as incredibly snooty.

Edit: Just to add to Chrono's post, GQ not too long ago touted Rag and Bone, Engineered Garments, and Nom de Guerre as brands it's excited about. D'oh.

kiya

Brand Representative
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FiveFiveFive
Wow, has GQ really become the barometer for played-out fashion -- if it likes something, it's no longer OK to wear it?

The people at Barney's are that way with Nordstrom, apparently. I recently told a few Barney's workers that Nordstrom started carrying Steven Alan, and they were absolutely disgusted. I also heard Barney's is cutting off Trovata because you can find it on Nordstrom racks now. It struck me as incredibly snooty.

But this business model is what makes Barney's..
People go there to find what is not available everywhere else...
As snooty as it may be, this is why people make a big deal about "OMG i went to Barney's!"

FiveFiveFive

Reaction score
I suppose, in some respects, this exposes the inner-label-whore in some of us. We can't just look at a shirt or a pair of jeans for what it is. It can have exquisite fitting and details -- and we'll love it -- but then we'll look at the label and discover it's a brand that GQ likes or Nordstrom carries, and suddenly the shirt and jeans are garbage.

kiya

Brand Representative
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FiveFiveFive
I suppose, in some respects, this exposes the inner-label-whore in some of us. We can't just look at a shirt or a pair of jeans for what it is. It can have exquisite fitting and details -- and we'll love it -- but then we'll look at the label and discover it's a brand that GQ likes or Nordstrom carries, and suddenly the shirt and jeans are garbage.

I think you're half right.. there's definitely the part of the consumer base that's very label-whorish.. then there's the half that understands that once a product has made it into a store like Nordstrom/Macy's/UrbanOutfitters/etc. then it's hit a level where the quality HAS to dip at least a little bit and the attention to detail on the production level has to drop once production goes into numbers that can support a store like Nordstrom.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's not simply snobbery, at least not all the time.

Sometimes when a niche label goes 'mass' the makers also dilute the style and quality.

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
two thirds or more of this forum reads either GQ or Details. Like kIya and the others have stated all the great brands upcoming and tride and true have been in GQ at one point. No big deal. It's a great men's magazine.

FiveFiveFive

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kiya
I think you're half right.. there's definitely the part of the consumer base that's very label-whorish.. then there's the half that understands that once a product has made it into a store like Nordstrom/Macy's/UrbanOutfitters/etc. then it's hit a level where the quality HAS to dip at least a little bit and the attention to detail on the production level has to drop once production goes into numbers that can support a store like Nordstrom.

I understand it to some degree. If I owned a small boutique-type store that carried lesser-known brands, I'd probably pride myself in being "that store" where you could find hard-to-find stuff.

But from a consumer perspective, it doesn't make any difference to me where I buy Band of Outsiders or Rag and Bone, so long as it's the same thing.

But you make a good point about "becoming mainstream" often equaling "weaker product." It happens sometimes. Just look at the Black-Eyed Peas.

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score
The hardest thing to come to terms with when you lose style points is that you can never get them back. You're just circling the drain. I'll send a lilly.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Apc has been in gq for years.

Details also regularly features lanvin, prorsum, jil sander and margiela who cares.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Details showed a lot of APC tailored wear back in the mid 90s, nothing new there with that relationship

but when brands hit GQ/Details it just means more competition at sale time for S-M sizes

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads