• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Los Angeles tailor and cost of shirt darts?

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone comment on George's and Wilshire Tailors pricing please?

I've been going to Lizon for years and I'm a little upset at how things turned out recently. He's still good and he fixed the problem but i dont think I need to go back to somewhere to fix a problem. It should've been remedied from the get go.

Also, does anyone know about de-pleating pants? I've doubles on some Corneleani's and reverse doubles on 3 RL's. Sorry to the old timers but I cannot do pleats.

Please let me know. Oh, and if anyone has used Enzo or Frank Caruso, please let me know as well.

Cheers

BernieStevens

Reaction score
I never made it to Eddie's. The thought of driving all that way downtown didn't sit well with me. I just dropped off 2 shirts to have them taken in at Gustavo's. He's a really nice person. If they do well I'll gladly give him my business. One shirt was a Lorenzini that I paid $20 for and the other was a BB I found at Goodwill for 5.99. So to "test" the workmanship I'm not risking anything I can't live without. They'll be done on Weds and I'll report back.

BernieStevens

Reaction score
I picked up my shorts fro Gustavos yesterday. One was really good. The other was just ok. I'm going try a few other tailors to compare. The price was $12 pershort to take them in on the sides and narrow the sleeves. I didn't have darts added to these.

On a different note; I had a tailor here in Los Angeles on Wilshire Blvd. in West LA do some work on a Norman Hilton suit I bought from a member here. Her name is Mimma, 12041 Wilshire Blvd. (for those of you who know this part of town, it's Bundy/Wilshire next to the Ralphs.) She let out the pants in the waist and sides around the hip. And hemmed the pants. She also let out the sides and the back in the jacket because it was a little tight. She did awesome awesome work. She's an older woman who has this small shop in a little mall. She does all the work herself so it's not measure and hand it off to a worker. She's wonderful. It's like having your grandmother tailor your clothes.

I'm going back for sure and having more work done.

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
$12 to take in a shirt AND tighten up the sleeves?! Wow. that is cheap

f-tard

Reaction score
Just took a shirt in to Gustavo's to try it out. $15 to take in the sides and narrow the sleeves. Never got a shirt taken in before, not sure how it's done. He used pins...no measuring tape involved at all...is this standard?

mic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fuktard
Just took a shirt in to Gustavo's to try it out. $15 to take in the sides and narrow the sleeves. Never got a shirt taken in before, not sure how it's done. He used pins...no measuring tape involved at all...is this standard?

Yes. I've never had an alterationist put a tape to me.

I'll be watching this thread closely. I'm moving to LA in 2 months from the east coast. I usually bring stuff to NYC for tailoring- you can't swing a dead rat in Manhattan without hitting a decent alterationist.

I have a couple of jackets that need shortening. Money's tight, and I'd wait 'til I'm flush if it was up to me... think it's better to get them done before I move?

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mic
Yes. I've never had an alterationist put a tape to me.

I'll be watching this thread closely. I'm moving to LA in 2 months from the east coast. I usually bring stuff to NYC for tailoring- you can't swing a dead rat in Manhattan without hitting a decent alterationist.

I have a couple of jackets that need shortening. Money's tight, and I'd wait 'til I'm flush if it was up to me... think it's better to get them done before I move?

Stay on the east coast and don't come here!
smile.gif

Btw, you're JUST in time for some upcoming great weather!

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by k4lnamja
Stay on the east coast and don't come here!
smile.gif

Btw, you're JUST in time for some upcoming great weather!

+100 to that. East coast is better.

I can recommend you three alteration tailors in LA that you can trust, but neither of them is cheap...
confused.gif

mic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by acecow
+100 to that. East coast is better.

I can recommend you three alteration tailors in LA that you can trust, but neither of them is cheap...
confused.gif

Wait, East coast is better for alterations, or just plain better?
confused.gif

Seriously, I got no choice in the matter... I'm gonna be in LA for the next 4 years. Tell me it's a wonder land.

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love LA and I hate LA.

Love = hot girls in all sorts of colors, beautiful weather pretty much year long, many places to go and do things, excellent variety of food, and nightlife is pretty good.

Hate = air quality is bad, traffic is beyond horrible, everything is far apart (unless if you live in the gay community where everything is right there but . . . thats not for me), many ppl here think they are actors/actresses although they work at a coffee shop (??), and LA is NOT a city.

If you're coming from NYC, I'd say stay there. I love NY. From Boston? I've many friends from there who love it here and some who cant wait to go back (same for every other transplant though). DC? You wont like it.

Let me know if you've other ?

Cheers

Btw, I'm from the Bay Area (think San Francisco) and I've been here for 10 yrs . . . lol. Then again, depending on my business school acceptance situation, I might move back up north or head your way

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mic
Wait, East coast is better for alterations, or just plain better?
confused.gif
Seriously, I got no choice in the matter... I'm gonna be in LA for the next 4 years. Tell me it's a wonder land.

Plain better. And I'm not sure why k4lnamja says the girls are hotter here... I found NY girls to be better looking, smarter and much-much better dressed. LA is a ******* land of Uggs and sweat pants. Welcome to sartorial hell, my friend. Also, bars and restaurants are nothing compared to NY and they close at 1:30. You can never walk anywhere, only drive, so forget about social drinking outside your house. But hey, the ocean's here... I'm thankful for that pretty much once every two years that I go to the beach.
It's really not that bad. There's a lot of cool things to do. But the East to West Coast is like France to Estonia in the EU.

Staggerlee

Reaction score
I've taken items to Eddie's to get taken in and I was satisfied with the results. I don't have a connoisseur's eye but as someone who wanted their clothes to fit better, I was satisfied and my wife said they looked good. Eddie also told me it wasn't worth it to take in some things, so he could've made more off me than he did. He's done a few shirts, a sport coat and some pants for me. I went there based on Yelp and the fact I can walk there from my office.

mic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by acecow
Plain better. And I'm not sure why k4lnamja says the girls are hotter here... I found NY girls to be better looking, smarter and much-much better dressed. LA is a ******* land of Uggs and sweat pants. Welcome to sartorial hell, my friend. Also, bars and restaurants are nothing compared to NY and they close at 1:30. You can never walk anywhere, only drive, so forget about social drinking outside your house. But hey, the ocean's here... I'm thankful for that pretty much once every two years that I go to the beach.

It's really not that bad. There's a lot of cool things to do. But the East to West Coast is like France to Estonia in the EU.

Oh, ****!
uhoh.gif

Acecow, k4lnamja, thanks... I think.

I may ask you guys for more info as I get closer to the move date... in the meantime, I guess I'll bring those jackets with me to NYC next weekend and get them taken care of!

sorry for the threadjack! carry on!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads