Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Los Angeles tailor and cost of shirt darts?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by sportin_life, Jan 28, 2010.

1. Owen Meany

Owen Meany Senior member

I just dropped off a suit and 4 trousers at George's Tailor on Santa Monica & Bundy. Good reviews on Yelp and convenient to my office.

Any one try?

I will let you know what I think when I get the suit back...Thanks, jtb

2. Jenaimarr

Jenaimarr Senior member

I've been going to Georges for a few years now.

He's done the whole spectrum of things for me like pants hemming, shortening jacket sleeves (both from the sleeve end as well as from the shoulder due to working buttonholes), jacket shortening, taking in the waist/back, as well as creating pants side adjusters (button) from the extra fabric from hemming.

He's pretty meticulous about his alterations too as he always gets rid of that little wrinkle of jacket material below the back of the collar. I'm not sure if this is tailored or pressed out, but my suits are always very clean across the back after tailoring.

He's always done good work and prices are in line with other proper tailors in the area.

3. benjamin831

benjamin831 Senior member

I want to use this opportunity to ask if anyone to ask if anyone got any good recommendations for alteration tailors around downtown. I've tried Eddie's, he's insanely cheap but he'll screw up anything that's more complicated than a hem job haha.

4. jasminjany

jasminjany New Member

So many tailors available in downtown city. They trailing shirts, t-shirts and any dress in cheap price. Now a days they are giving a discount offers for trialling two shirts or t-shirts then trialling one more free of the cost.

5. acecow

acecow Senior member

I want to use this opportunity to ask if anyone to ask if anyone got any good recommendations for alteration tailors around downtown. I've tried Eddie's, he's insanely cheap but he'll screw up anything that's more complicated than a hem job haha.

Aby at Alandales.
    Wilshire tailors.
    Also that guy in Beverly Hills, I forgot his name, but you can read this thread from the start (good idea).

All 3 are magnificent alteration tailors.

6. Mute

Mute Senior member

I usually use Bill Cairo in San Marino for my suits and sportscoats. Haven't used him for my shirting needs but his work is top notch and very easy to work with.

For shirts, I have them made by Freddy Vandecasteele in Studio City. I don't know if he does modifications on customer's existing shirts but you might give him a call. He knows shirts and can do you justice if he's taking that kind of work.

7. uNiCoRnPriNcEsSx

uNiCoRnPriNcEsSx Senior member

Just picked up my shirts from Gustavo's. He charged me $21 for both taking in the sides, and darting the back. I'm pretty happy with his work. Although I did turn one of my work shirts into a going out shirt, since it's way too fitted now. I don't know if I should be mad or happy. A little bit of both I guess. More happy actually.

I'll make a comparison with Marin's when I get my shirts back from them on Saturday. His spanish speaking tailor is gonna have to do some impressive work, Gustavo set the bar pretty high.

8. k4lnamja

k4lnamja Senior member

I also go to lizon and Al is great! Very honest and straight forward. I don't take any high end clothing to him though. I've heard Enzo caruso near your (and my) area is phenomenal.

Cheers

9. bringusingoodale

bringusingoodale Senior member

Eddie's tailor get's a lot of attention for being average. He's as good or bad as any other tailor that operates out of a hole in the wall. Prices are reasonable, some may say cheap, so that's probably why it's always recommend.

I got some shoulder work done on a cheap sport coat at Richard's tailor that is on the next block over on 7th street for $50. He took in quite a lot, like I asked, knowing that it may be a fucked up job. It turned ok. I probably should have taken the advice on here about no more than 2 cm, but eh. I am not sure, but I think Richard's is cheaper than Eddie's for similar work. Be warned that Richard's is really run down, no frills hole in the wall place that does nothing but alteration type jobs.

10. uNiCoRnPriNcEsSx

uNiCoRnPriNcEsSx Senior member

Eddie's tailor get's a lot of attention for being average. He's as good or bad as any other tailor that operates out of a hole in the wall. Prices are reasonable, some may say cheap, so that's probably why it's always recommend.

thanks for the clarification, i'll drop him from my list

11. danki177

danki177 New Member

I've been to Eddie's a few times and I can agree that you are basically paying for what you get. His prices are relatively cheap. I dropped off some shirts that needed the sides/sleeves taken in. When I got them back the stitching along the seams were OK, not stellar. The good thing about Eddie is that he'll work with you to make sure you get the fit you need.

Interested in seeing how people have faired at Gustavo's and Marin's or other places for higher-end shirts.

12. Fred49

Fred49 Senior member

I would go to Gary on Brighton Way in Beverly Hills. He is a very good guy and he listens. The workmanship is always great.

13. sho'nuff

sho'nuff grrrrrrrr!!

Taking in sides/darting shirts I would think don't go over moderately as it will look off with the proportions of the sleeve width and armhole? Unless the tailor can trim it up too.

14. hyakku

hyakku Senior member

I just dropped off a suit at Eddie's, will report back, didn't go just for his prices, had read many good things about him online, yelp, and through real life people, some said there were a few issues but for the most part after talking with him and him being open, honest and extremely forthcoming with information I was more than willing to let him try on a suit.

Fortunately, I'll be able to tell you all pretty comprehensively as he's working on a three piece, higher end suit for me that I was fortunate enough to get thrifting so, worse comes to worse, I have a slightly odd fitting beater suit, if that makes sense, and in the best case scenario I'll have a slick high end suit. Either way i'll report back by thursday or so.

15. kraig

kraig Member

I'm local to Eddie's and have had a lot of work done there. I've only had one shirt come back with sleeves done a little short, it was fixed easily enough.

hyakku, how did the suit turn out?