Loose ties -- ok?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by dj-jd, Dec 29, 2008.

1. dj-jd

dj-jd Senior member

When (if ever) and with what is it alright to wear a tie with a very loose knot? Is this currently in style? If so, what does it go with specifically, and how loose is the tie? Any pics?

Thanks,
    J

2. yfyf

yfyf Affiliate vendor Affiliate Vendor

When your tie is choking your oxygen supply and threatening your life, obstructing the blood vessels in your neck causing your eyes lose their ability to function, then you can loosen your tie.

Otherwise, no.

3. hamish5178

hamish5178 Senior member

When (if ever) and with what is it alright to wear a tie with a very loose knot? Is this currently in style? If so, what does it go with specifically, and how loose is the tie? Any pics? Thanks, J
    In casual situations I tend to leave the top button undone and leave the tie a smidge lose. Cardigan and jeans, etc. edit: wait, lose knot? That's gross and lame. Mall kiosk employee status.

4. AB01

AB01 Senior member

When you go to a bar in your workclothes and either sit down for a beer with some work buddies or play a game of pool/darts. The lose tie is a functional piece of clothing - necessary for movement and relaxing. Otherwise have it tight. If your shirts are the right size, you'll breathe just fine.

5. GuidoWongolini

GuidoWongolini Senior member

At the end of the day when it is appropriate to have a "Devil may care swagger..", smoking a Cuban...
    [​IMG]

Or if you have a pair of Fins to entertain..
    [​IMG]

But if you have to think about it or force it.. Then you are not ready..

6. tlmusic

tlmusic Senior member

The only "people" that seem to pull off the loose tie look irreproachably are characters in film noir movies: detectives, jazz musicians, gangsters, hard working laborers etc.

To me, it's an affectation that is difficult to pull off in real life.

7. FidelCashflow

FidelCashflow Senior member

If I'm working late and one of the last people at the office, I'll do it. for some reason ties seem to bother me after about 8 hours.

Also if I'm at an event like a wedding and I'm working up a sweat on the dancefloor when the light are down, I'll loosen it up. But fix it as soon as I step away from the dance floor lest I look like a drunk.

8. dj-jd

dj-jd Senior member

Which brings up another point, and I suppose the underlying question here: How might I begin the process of transforming into a film noir character?

9. tlmusic

tlmusic Senior member

Which brings up another point, and I suppose the underlying question here: How might I begin the process of transforming into a film noir character?

There must always be a dramatic reason to display a loose tie. In this example from Laura (1944), Dana Andrews is an cop working on the murder case of a beautiful woman that he has become obsessed with. That's a painting of her in the background. He's hanging out in the murder victim's apartment getting drunk. It's also super hot summertime in New York City. Situations that call for loose ties: high temperatures and uncomfortable surroundings.

[​IMG]

It's also a private moment. Remember, loose ties are not displayed in public unless there is a specific dramatic reason. Loose ties are not done half heartedly. The tie is pulled down sufficiently to show that it wasn't an accident. You must have a long point collar, and it must be unfused so it can be appropriately wrinkled and roll up a bit. Modern shirts with fused collars look way too stiff and spoil the look. Pomade in the hair completes the vibe. Hair must be slightly tousled.

Anyway, when the real girl unexpectedly shows up, he quickly fixes his tie and puts his jacket on. The loose tie is not some kind of fashion statement to be worn in polite company.

10. Orsini

Orsini Senior member

I do not recommend this. Unless you are extremely young, thin, and charming, this looks dreadful.

When your shirt collar fits properly, you should be able to insert two fingers into your buttoned shirt collar without discomfort.

11. tlmusic

tlmusic Senior member

12. unjung

unjung Senior member

When you put in more than 12 hours in the office in a day.

Otherwise, get shirts that bloody fit in the neck.

Christ it's slobbish.

13. Orsini

Orsini Senior member

......slobbish.
    You can say that here?

14. mkarim

mkarim Senior member

...Unless you are extremely young, thin, and charming

Ah, I am all of the above... [​IMG]

15. DoTheGrownup

DoTheGrownup Senior member

I loosen mine on the bus ride home. For some reason a tie that has not bothered me all day long makes me feel like I am going to suffocate as soon as I get on the bus home.