• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Loose ties -- ok?

dj-jd

Reaction score
When (if ever) and with what is it alright to wear a tie with a very loose knot? Is this currently in style? If so, what does it go with specifically, and how loose is the tie? Any pics?

Thanks,
J

hamish5178

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dj-jd
When (if ever) and with what is it alright to wear a tie with a very loose knot? Is this currently in style? If so, what does it go with specifically, and how loose is the tie? Any pics? Thanks, J
In casual situations I tend to leave the top button undone and leave the tie a smidge lose. Cardigan and jeans, etc. edit: wait, lose knot? That's gross and lame. Mall kiosk employee status.

AB01

Reaction score
When you go to a bar in your workclothes and either sit down for a beer with some work buddies or play a game of pool/darts. The lose tie is a functional piece of clothing - necessary for movement and relaxing. Otherwise have it tight. If your shirts are the right size, you'll breathe just fine.

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At the end of the day when it is appropriate to have a "Devil may care swagger..", smoking a Cuban...
L1070325.jpg

Or if you have a pair of Fins to entertain..
L1070276.jpg

But if you have to think about it or force it.. Then you are not ready..

tlmusic

Reaction score
The only "people" that seem to pull off the loose tie look irreproachably are characters in film noir movies: detectives, jazz musicians, gangsters, hard working laborers etc.

To me, it's an affectation that is difficult to pull off in real life.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I'm working late and one of the last people at the office, I'll do it. for some reason ties seem to bother me after about 8 hours.

Also if I'm at an event like a wedding and I'm working up a sweat on the dancefloor when the light are down, I'll loosen it up. But fix it as soon as I step away from the dance floor lest I look like a drunk.

dj-jd

Reaction score
Which brings up another point, and I suppose the underlying question here: How might I begin the process of transforming into a film noir character?

tlmusic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dj-jd
Which brings up another point, and I suppose the underlying question here: How might I begin the process of transforming into a film noir character?

There must always be a dramatic reason to display a loose tie. In this example from Laura (1944), Dana Andrews is an cop working on the murder case of a beautiful woman that he has become obsessed with. That's a painting of her in the background. He's hanging out in the murder victim's apartment getting drunk. It's also super hot summertime in New York City. Situations that call for loose ties: high temperatures and uncomfortable surroundings.

08_15_06_laura.jpg

It's also a private moment. Remember, loose ties are not displayed in public unless there is a specific dramatic reason. Loose ties are not done half heartedly. The tie is pulled down sufficiently to show that it wasn't an accident. You must have a long point collar, and it must be unfused so it can be appropriately wrinkled and roll up a bit. Modern shirts with fused collars look way too stiff and spoil the look. Pomade in the hair completes the vibe. Hair must be slightly tousled.

Anyway, when the real girl unexpectedly shows up, he quickly fixes his tie and puts his jacket on. The loose tie is not some kind of fashion statement to be worn in polite company.

Orsini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do not recommend this. Unless you are extremely young, thin, and charming, this looks dreadful.

When your shirt collar fits properly, you should be able to insert two fingers into your buttoned shirt collar without discomfort.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When you put in more than 12 hours in the office in a day.

Otherwise, get shirts that bloody fit in the neck.

Christ it's slobbish.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Orsini
...Unless you are extremely young, thin, and charming

Ah, I am all of the above...
smile.gif

DoTheGrownup

Reaction score
I loosen mine on the bus ride home. For some reason a tie that has not bothered me all day long makes me feel like I am going to suffocate as soon as I get on the bus home.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads