• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looks too fruity... even to an SF'er

ld111134

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Yeah, can't do ascots. Can't do specs, either. Natural canvas and leather, maybe; high-contrast versions, no.

SF has helped convince me to work brighter colors into my summer wardrobe, but I began to feel a bit camp, so I'm toning it down.

I agree with Doc. While SFers may regard ascots as elegant, the "meme" is that these are either pretentious or just plain odd - in other words, most people regard these items as "costume". If you wear an ascot, you just have to accept that others may have that reaction.

Granted, Jeremy Piven, Kanye West and the member of Panic! at the Disco wear ascots, but they're celebrities and live in a whole different realm.

Spectactors may be regarded by some (or many) as odd, but they probably have less social "baggage" associated with them.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PocketCircle
Velvet jackets

I have to disagree here, if you mean blazers.

I have a great black velvet peak lapel smoking jacket. Fruity? No. Classy as hell.
bigstar[1].gif

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love velvet blazers, I have three of them. Hell, I even have a pair of Polo velvet pants...that I have never worn. LOL. I love specs, too. I need more pair. An Ascot, I could not pull off. Some guys do it well though, it is just not for me. I also don't think I could pull off a Thom Browne skirt suit.
smile.gif

Mike

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by phillyesq
I'll agree with the ascots, but I do like the specs. I bought a pair this summer, and I was able to wear them to a wedding this weekend. My girlfriend was not happy with my choice of shoes, but we made a bet that I would receive more compliments than jeers. The score was 6-0 in favor of the specs. It took me a while to pull off the specs, but I'm glad that I did.
i hope the bet was for something sexual... well i'm kinda glad the super edgy thom browne show your ankles look has died down. but i must say i was at the Guggenheim last year and he's there in his signature look and he does actually pull it off. even my wife was like "that look is actually ridiculous, but he looks great"

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AscotMcPocketsquare
I wear bowties, velvet blazers and ascots. Just because you look ridiculous in said items don't knock them.

Chances are that you look just as ridiculous in them as you claim the detractors do - my assumption is that you look like as big a douchebag as you behave on this forum.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When entertaining, I have a tendency to wear both my velvet blazer and ascot.

zWZNggbaYq.jpg

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ManofKent
I occasionally give ascots a go - my stumbling block has been bow ties - I've yet to see whether I can pull it off.

Originally Posted by HORNS
Bolo ties. You have to be 70 or older, IMO, to get away with this.

Originally Posted by luftvier
Short sleeved "dress" shirts.

I have worn them all -- mind you, not in the last 15 years or more ...

origenesprit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigbris1
Paisley pants & jackets
uhoh.gif

They make those? Where would you even find them?

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Here's my classification of everything mentioned so far in this thread:

Wear or Would Wear:
Spectators
Bow Ties
Opera Pumps
Belgian Shoes *
Velvet Jackets *
Ostrich Skin Shoes/Accessories *

* Don't have any of these, but would wear.

Wouldn't wear:
Ascots **
Bolo Ties
Pointy Shoes
Gaudy Antiqued Shoes

**Am thinking about getting one of these for my Halloween costume this year to wear with my Silk Dressing Gown and Velvet Albert Slippers. If so, I'll get a really nice one.

Hellz Naw:
Velvet Pants
Skirt Suit
Paisley Pants/Jacket

Don't Know/Undecided (but probably not):
Skinny Jeans

Wrong Thread (Don't wear, but they don't belong in this discussion...not fruity):
Short Sleeved Dress Shirts
Cowboy Hats

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kilts?

Note - I have one. Have not worn in a while. Far too costumey, even for my ascot-wearing, velvet blazer adorned self.

Querty - Kilt, ascot, velvet blazer, worn together - holy trifecta of über fruit?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads