• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking to buy a versatile suit option.

Shandoeluna

Reaction score
I am looking to buy a versatile suit which will basically replace my old Jos A Bank suit I bought years ago. It developed a rip recently in the leg area. Was looking to find one that I can wear for weddings, funerals, company events, Cruises, and occasionally nice places. Budget is around $350 max.

I was measured by a local tailor.

chest at 43

Shoulder 18

Outseam 30

Waist 39

Height 5'9, 200-205 lbs.

Not sure which one of these to get, higher quality, or best colour to go with.

$279 Charcoal Gray Spier and Mackay contemporary

$279 medium gray Spier and Mackay contemporary.

$279 Medium Gray Shark Skin Spier and Mackay

$279 Blue texture Spier and Mackay contemporary

$279 Marine Blue Spier and Mackay contemporary

$379 Blue Hatch Spier and Mackay Contemporary

$349 Medium Blue Spier and Mackay Contemporary

$349 Blue Mix Sharkskin Spier and Mackay Contemporary

$255 for the Jcrew Deep Navy Italian Wool classic chest 42 R, slim pants 36 I got it during an overlap sale. It seems to fit ok, but i can still return it.

$170 J crew Charcoal ludlow American wool suit 42 S

$299.40 Brooks Brothers Fitzgerald two button suit 1818 Gray 42S

$359 Brooks Brothers Regent 1818 Brookscloud Grey textured suit in 42 or 43 R.

Would a size 42 or 44 be better with Spier and Mackay? I am open to other brands within the same price range too. One tailor I went to said the 42s jacket length was fine, but also said the 42r jacket length was fine too. I ordered the J. Crew one and can return it since I saw there was a sale for a few hours in case it was good. Closest Brooks Brother is closed so I can't get fitted there to see if Brookscloud would fit and what my measurements actually are with them. I live in Houston so something that would be nice all year long would be nice.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You have a 4 inch drop? Most of these suits are not going to fit and your budget is quite modest.

consider suit separates. This way you can get the jacket to fit and the slacks separately. A low to mid tier department store like Macy’s should be able to accommodate you.

Good luck.

p.s. you mentioned J Crew. Their suits are also sold as separates but the jacket have some funky fits, so best to try them on.

Last edited:

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You have relatively narrow shoulders for your chest measurement. Take a look at the "Size and Fit Guide" on Spier and Mackay's website if you haven't already. You are more like a 40 based on shoulders but 44 based on chest and waist size. 42 might work though I think it might be a little tight in the chest, and the trousers would definitely have to be let out. At 5'9" I'd consider ordering Spier and Mackay 42 (S or R) and 44S in Contemporary and taking both to your tailor to see what they can do, then return one or both depending on what they think.

Most versatile: would go with a true navy if possible, otherwise a medium or dark grey.

I really like the Spier and Mackay suits but the fit has to work for you.

Res

Reaction score
Spier and Mackay fabric is questionable, but the real kicker is their god awful customer service! Be aware is all, if you need to have something exchanged or something ordered then you're out of luck.

Shandoeluna

Reaction score
You have a 4 inch drop? Most of these suits are not going to fit and your budget is quite modest.

consider suit separates. This way you can get the jacket to fit and the slacks separately. A low to mid tier department store like Macy’s should be able to accommodate you.

Good luck.

p.s. you mentioned J Crew. Their suits are also sold as separates but the jacket have some funky fits, so best to try them on.

I was told Spier and mackay was better quality and they have a 25% off right now. My raw measurements were that amount according to the tailor I went too. I normally wear like a size 36 pants for most vanity sized clothing like banana republic chinos. I got the Italian Wool in, but the jacket was dirty covered with stains so I am exchanging it. I forgot to try on the fit before I brought it to the store for the exchange. I think the 42r in Jcrew Italian Wool Ludlow Classic would fit fine. the 42s in Jcrew American Wool Slim fit was too tight and the jacket length I think was fine according to the salesperson, but the sleeve length might be too short.

Shandoeluna

Reaction score
You have relatively narrow shoulders for your chest measurement. Take a look at the "Size and Fit Guide" on Spier and Mackay's website if you haven't already. You are more like a 40 based on shoulders but 44 based on chest and waist size. 42 might work though I think it might be a little tight in the chest, and the trousers would definitely have to be let out. At 5'9" I'd consider ordering Spier and Mackay 42 (S or R) and 44S in Contemporary and taking both to your tailor to see what they can do, then return one or both depending on what they think.

Most versatile: would go with a true navy if possible, otherwise a medium or dark grey.

I really like the Spier and Mackay suits but the fit has to work for you.

I should have probably asked the tailor for arm length measurement too. I just realized I forgot to ask about that. I could order both. Would Hatch or Sharkskin look ok for being versatile? None of the ones I saw that were on sale were true navy.

Medium Blue, Marine, Blue Mix, Blue Texture, blue texture are all not anything close to true navy right?

Before the Spier & Mackay was finale sale on these suits, but now they removed the final sale and I think the 25% sale works on them.

Is Brooks Brothers Fitzgerald or Brookscloud any good?

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Plenty of navy suits at your price point after the 25% discount

Brooks Brothers Fitzgerald runs fairly slim so I would recommend trying on in person. No experience with Brookscloud.

Shandoeluna

Reaction score
Plenty of navy suits at your price point after the 25% discount

Brooks Brothers Fitzgerald runs fairly slim so I would recommend trying on in person. No experience with Brookscloud.

Sadly Brooks Brothers is still closed due to COVID-19 here. Everytime I call them they are still closed.

DapperPhilly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would go with Spier & Mackay over BB.
I'm in the US and never had a problem with orders, returns or exchanges.

Form7

Reaction score
Damn. I thought Spier and mackay was cheaper it rounds off $2-300 shorter than Suitsupply. Why not just go to Suitsupply?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads