• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking to buy a treadmill

Philip1978

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What should I be looking for? Budget: $2,500

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Consider a used one. Lots of very expensive ones just sit and are sold for a fraction of their original price with little or no use.

BDC2823

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Philip1978

That's a pretty damn huge budget for a treadmill. I got a horizon one a couple years back for about $500 on ebay new and have put it to good use. Use it just about everyday.

Philip1978

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
Consider a used one. Lots of very expensive ones just sit and are sold for a fraction of their original price with little or no use.

Originally Posted by BDC2823
That's a pretty damn huge budget for a treadmill. I got a horizon one a couple years back for about $500 on ebay new and have put it to good use. Use it just about everyday.

Both good ideas. I mean if I don't have to spend that much I won't. Just want to get a good one.

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think an elliptical is a better investment due to lower maintenance and stress on the joints.

buddy72

Reaction score
I bought a used one a couple years ago and have been very happy with it. Image brand from a yard sale, $100. Use it 3x per week. Had to make one repair, bolted a piece of 1/4" angle iron through the side rail to fix a broken support.

4 of the most common brands - Image, Proform, Weslo, Reebok - are all really made by the same company, Icon Health and Fitness.

Each brand has different models, some with better/worse user experience, so google the model for reviews/comments.

Look for: Auto-incline, at least a few built-in programs, at least 10 mph top speed
Most have readouts for time, speed, incline, calories, maybe steps.

Next extra - cute led display of an oval track, showing your progress.

Folds up - if space is a consideration

For more money - iFit capability - you can buy CD's with music and embedded treadmill commands to vary the speed and incline, developed by trainers for different purposes - play it on your computer and a line-in to the treadmill - or, some treadmills might even have a CD player built in. You can even use free software to create your own music/treadmill programs.

For the money you mentioned you can get a new one with all this + much more, but you can get everything I mentioned for $200 used - search your local craigslist - maybe $5-600 new. Check Walmart. If buying new, get any extended warranty available. Personally I would buy used and if something goes wrong I can't fix, just toss it and get another one.

RE: an elliptical - treadmills are not as hard on the knees as running on a track or outdoors (about 15% less), because they have a cushioning system, with the running surface supported on rubber bumpers. Also, the impact from running helps retain/build bone mass. If you have bad joints already, or are really old, that might be a consideration. I'm 56 and only feel a little knee soreness when I go 6 mph for an hour. Usually I do intervals for 4 miles, no problem with joint soreness.

Monaco

Reaction score
Originally Posted by westinghouse
I think an elliptical is a better investment due to lower maintenance and stress on the joints.

by god I think he's onto something.
teacha.gif

Glueeater

Reaction score
Originally Posted by westinghouse

If he's willing to spend that much on a treadmill, I'd have to bet he's a runner of some sort...

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Philip1978

I second the suggestions for used. Generally they come from small office gyms or apt. complexes were people use them but don't run them into the ground. You can also get them very cheap. A friend recently bought a $3,500 treadmill for $900 (cash) that sat in a bio pharm companies gym and was barely used.

But really, buy an Concept 2 rower for $1000, get a good used treadmill for $1000 and spend the rest on clothes or some other sketchy vice.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads